Michael D. Sydow
Top rated family law attorney in Houston, TexasThe Sydow Firm
A board-certified professional in civil trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Michael D. Sydow is the founder of the law firm The Sydow Firm in Houston, Texas. Focusing his practice majorly on family law, he also has experience in handling issues involving contract disputes, intellectual property law, medical and general negligence, personal injury and whistleblower qui tam claims.
After receiving his bachelor’s degree from Southwestern University in 1973, Mr. Sydow joined The University of Texas at Austin School of Law to earn his Juris Doctor and graduated with honors.
Actively practicing law in the state of Texas since receiving his license in 1976, Mr. Sydow represents his clients before federal, appellate and state courts, including the United States Courts of Appeals for the 5th, 6th and 11th Circuits, and the United States Supreme Court as well. He also practices as a pro hac vice in several states throughout the nation, including New Jersey, California, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama and Michigan. He started his career as a trial attorney at the U.S. Navy and has successfully tried numerous government claims.
Upon returning from the U.S. Navy, Mr. Sydow worked at various firms and gained experience by taking on simple and complex matters alike involving insurance coverage, airline casualty, oil and gas matters, product liability and elder abuse cases. He has been instrumental in achieving several million-dollar and multimillion-dollar settlements on behalf of his clients.
Mr. Sydow has been rated AV Preeminent* through Martindale-Hubbell and was the recipient of the President’s Award granted by the Houston Bar Association. Marquis Who’s Who honored him by including him in their American Law list many times and has also presented him with the Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award and the Worldwide Lifetime Achievement Inductee for his successful track record throughout his career. He holds a rating of 9.9 on 10 on Avvo.
A fellow at the Texas Bar Foundation and the Houston Bar Foundation, Mr. Sydow previously chaired Houston Bar Judicial Legislative Liaison Committee and is a member of the Federal Bar Association since 1976. He has also authored several scholarly writings and has been a speaker at various conferences and speeches.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer-review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasFamily law, Intellectual property, Personal injury - general: plaintiff, Business litigation, Criminal defense: white collar, Intellectual property litigation
Child support, Custody & visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic violence, Paternity, Father's rights, Intellectual property law, Wrongful death, Trade secret, Non-compete agreements, White collar crime, Criminal law - federal
- 30% Family law
- 20% Intellectual property
- 20% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 10% Business litigation
- 10% Criminal defense: white collar
- 10% Intellectual property litigation
First Admitted: 1976, Texas
- Southwestern University, Bachelor of Arts, 1973
- Certified in Civil Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Houston Bar Association’s Judicial Liaison Committee, Chaired
- Member of, United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Claims, the United States Courts of Appeals for the Fifth, Sixth, and Eleventh Circuits, and the United States District Courts of the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Western Districts of Texas, and the Northern District of Michigan
- Pro hac vice in state and federal courts in New York, New Jersey, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, Louisiana, Michigan, Wisconsin, Colorado, California, Idaho, and British Columbia
- Texas, 1976
- Houston Bar Association’s Judicial Liaison Committee, for which he received the President’s Award in 1990
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Houston Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Advanced Evidence and Discovery Institute, University of Houston Law Foundation, “Damages (Including Actual and Punitive Damages): Evidentiary Requirements and Proof of Techniques,” 1999 and 2001.
- “No Duty: An Historical Perspective on the Judicial Creation of a Privileged Class: 12 Trial Lawyers Forum 17, 1988.
- “Admiralty Jurisdiction Over Injuries to Offshore Workers.” 22 South Texas Law Journal 3, 1982.
- Fourth Annual Southwest Regional Head Injury Symposium: How to Deal Competently with Legally Competent Individuals Who are Incompetent; Trusts, etc.,” Colorado, 1986.
- 10th Annual Advanced Civil Trial Law Conference, South Texas College of Law, “Probing the Edges of Peer Privileges,” 2001.
- Advanced Civil Litigation, University of Houston Law Center, “Pleadings and Attacks on Pleadings,” 1991.
- Houston Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Program, “Effective Planning and Use of Discovery Tools,” 1990.
Office location for Michael D. Sydow
3355 W Alabama St
Houston, TX 77098
- Super Lawyers: 2003 - 2004
Certificates and credentials
Civil Trial Law