Nicole DeBorde Hochglaube
Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Houston, TX
Selected to Rising Stars: 2009 - 2010
- Free Consultation
Attorney Nicole DeBorde Hochglaube has focused her career on defending clients and on trial work throughout Texas and across the United States who face a wide range of charges from the most basic to the most complex. Her substantial trial experience is an asset to clients She has handled all types of criminal and personal injury cases in state and federal court, including conspiracy, all types of white collar crime, fraud, Medicaid and healthcare fraud, wire fraud, mortgage fraud, tax fraud, insurance fraud, theft, securities violations, sexual assault, assault, sexual assault of a child, murder, driving while intoxicated violations, including intoxication manslaughter and intoxication assault, cyber crimes like online solicitation and possession of pornography, possession and distribution of drugs and pharmaceuticals, possession and distribution of firearms, environmental crimes, cases involving serious injury or death and more. Firms preparing for trial seek out Nicole's expertise with trial and jury selection, and she has successfully defended students accused under Title IX. She also handles expunctions, petitions for nondisclosure, post conviction matters including appeals and writs of habeas corpus in both state and federal court as well as parole. She has argued cases in the Fifth Circuit and the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, and the Courts of Appeals.
DeBorde Hochglaube began her legal career in 1993 after earning her law degree from the University of Houston Law Center and her admission to the State Bar of Texas. She began her career doing plaintiff's work with a small firm, went on to prosecute cases, and has been in private practice since 2002. She defends those accused in courts across Texas in state court as well in federal courts across the nation including the U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Western and Eastern Districts of Texas, United States District Court for the District of Columbia (Washington DC) the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit and the United States Supreme Court.
Over the course of Nicole's long career, she has earned a reputation as a skilled and dedicated attorney as well as a fierce trial lawyer. She is sought out as legal counsel by colleagues, judges, individuals accused and those seeking a tenacious advocate after a tragedy. Her work has earned her a number of honors from the legal community. She has a "Superb" rating from AVVO which is the highest rating, and she has received an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell also the highest rating and has been selected for recognition in Best Lawyers in America. In addition, she has received the President's Award from the National Association for Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association and the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, and H Texas Magazine has repeatedly included her on its list of the Top Lawyers for the People. In 2017, after several years inclusion on U.S. World and News Reports' Best Lawyers list, she was awarded Lawyer of the Year in Criminal Defense for the Houston Area and continues to be recognized as a tier one practitioner in with the highest recognition in criminal defense, white collar criminal defense and appellate work.
Leadership and service has been an important part of Mrs. Hochglaube's career. She has served as a board member and leader for a number of organizations, including serving as the President Harris County Criminal Lawyers Association. In addition, she has served as chair of the Houston Bar Association's Criminal Law and Procedure Section. She is an officer in the Texas Criminal Lawyers Association where she also serves as Strike Force co-chair and Covid Task Force co-chair assisting lawyers across the state. She is a board member of the Criminal Defense Lawyers Project and of the National Criminal Defense Lawyers Association. She also serves NACDL as a committee member of the Women in Criminal Defense Committee, White Collar Committee, and Amicus Committee. She is also active in the Associate of Women Attorneys and Women in White Collar Criminal Defense. She is a frequent lecturer in speaking engagements across the nation on topics related to criminal defense, trial advocacy and jury selection.
DeBorde Hochglaube is a criminal defense and trial lawyer with the experience and reputation to solve the most difficult problems and bring justice in the most difficult situations. She has discreetly and successfully handled high profile clients and is frequently sought after for advice by judges, lawyers, members of law enforcement and public officials.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Arrest & Arraignment, Assault & Battery, Criminal Fraud, Criminal Law, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Expungement, False Accusations, Felony, Juvenile Delinquency, Misdemeanor, Motor Vehicle Offenses, Murder, Parole, Probation, Sex Offenses, Tax Evasion, Theft, Criminal Domestic Violence, Appeals, Class Actions, Asbestos, Toxic Torts, DUI/DWI, White Collar Crime, Criminal Law - Federal, Assault, Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Dram Shop Laws, Construction Accident, Brain Injury
- Super Lawyers: 2010 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2009 - 2010
Articles about Nicole DeBorde Hochglaube appearing in Super Lawyers
About Nicole DeBorde Hochglaube
First Admitted: 1993, Texas
Professional Webpage: http://www.debordelawfirm.com/attorney-profiles.shtml
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Regular commentator and legal analyst on national and local networks.
Pro bono/Community Service
- Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Education Institute - Life Member
- Ongoing support to the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) through pro bono support on individual cases.
- Foundation for Criminal Justice Life Member
- STAR Court Shoot Out Supporter - raising funds for the STAR Court Foundation, saving the lives of those addicted to drugs and diverting them out of the justice system., 2016
- Many volunteer hours for the Innocence Project on a variety of serious cases.
- Nicole provides guidance and mentoring to young lawyers on a regular basis. She is active on NACDL's Women in Law Committee. She also regularly donates time and monetary support to educational programs for lawyers across the state, as well as to charitable organizations in need.
- STAR Court Foundation Supporter, 2017
- Numerous dismissals, not guilty verdicts, post conviction reversals, and satisfied clients. Our clients' identities always remain confidential.
- Our grateful clients' identities remain confidential.
- Criminal Defense Lawyers Project - Board Member. This organization provides training for lawyers across the state.
- Association of Women Attorneys - Member and Judicial Endorsement Committee Member
- Women in White Collar Defense - Leadership Role and Founding Member
- Past Chair - Houston Bar Association's Criminal Law and Procedure Section
- Former Member Houston Bar Associations Administration of Justice Committee
- Many years as Board Member of the National Criminal Defense Lawyers Association. She also serves NACDL as a member of the White Collar, Strike Force, Amicus, Decarceration and Women in Criminal Defense, Covid Task Force and Membership Committees and on NACDL's Fourth Amendment Project., 2022
- Officer - Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- Eastern District of Texas - Federal Practice
- Past Co-Chair Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Legal Education Institute
- President - Harris County Criminal Lawyer's Association, 2010
- American Inns of Court
- Eastern District of Texas - Federal Practice
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia (Washington DC)
- Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Supreme Court
- Western District of Texas - Federal Practice
- Southern District of Texas - Federal Practice
- University of Houston
- This presentation addressed sponsoring expert testimony and keeping damaging or inadequate expert testimony out of trial. , Lecturer, Expert Witnesses and Daubert, Criminal Defense Lawyers Project, Criminal Law, 2018
- Handling these difficult cases in the Me Too era., Lecturer, Defending Sexual Assault Cases, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Rusty Duncan, Lawyers, Attorneys, Defendants, Trial And Jury Consulting, 2019
- How to succeed ethically as a lawyer., Lecturer, Ethics, Inns of Court, Lawyers, Attorneys, Defendants, Trial And Jury Consulting, 2019
- How to get the most out of your witnesses on direct examination through story telling., Lecturer, Direct Examination in Sexual Assault Trials, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Lawyers, Attorneys, Defendants, Trial And Jury Consulting, 2019
- Handling drug cases., Lecturer, Wrangling Drug Cases, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Prairie Dog, Lawyers, Attorneys, Defendants, Trial And Jury Consulting, 2019
- Developing the theory of your case and persuading juries, judges and opponents., Lecturer, Come and Take It: Building a Persuasive Defense, Criminal Defense Lawyers Project, Lawyers, Attorneys, Defendants, Trial And Jury Consulting, 2019
- Handling the intersection of protective orders and criminal cases to best represent your client., Lecturer, Protective Orders , Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Rusty Duncan, Lawyers, Attorneys, Defendants, Trial And Jury Consulting, 2019
- How to connect with potential jurors and find the right jury for your case., Lecturer, Voir Dire, Harris County Public Defender, Lawyers, Attorneys, Defendants, Trial And Jury Consulting, 2019
- How to select the right jury for your case with a focus on drug cases., Lecturer, Gris Gris of Voir Dire, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Lawyers, Attorneys, Defendants, Trial And Jury Consulting, 2019
- Ethically setting fees, communicating with clients and handling contracts., Lecturer, Money, Clients and Contracts, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Rusty Duncan, Lawyers, Attorneys, Defendants, Trial And Jury Consulting, 2020
- How to put a client in the best position for a just result through mitigation and expert testimony., Lecturer, Mitigation and Expert Witnesses, Criminal Defense Lawyers Project, Lawyers, Attorneys, Defendants, Trial And Jury Consulting, 2020
- Handling the complex area of federal post conviction investigation and writs of habeas corpus., Lecturer, Federal Writs, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Lawyers, Defendants, Accused Individuals, Federal Cases, Post Conviction, 2020
- How to neutralize the other side's witnesses through cross examination., Lecturer, Cross Examination, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association and Harris County Public Defender, Lawyers, Attorneys, Defendants, Trial And Jury Consulting, 2020
- How to get the most out of expert and technical witnesses and to prevent unreliable evidence and testimony from infecting a trial., Lecturer, Handling Expert Witnesses, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Lawyers, Attorneys, Defendants, Trial And Jury Consulting, 2020
- Mastering the art of cross examining the trained witness., Lecturer, Cross Examining the Law Enforcement or Government Witness, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Fourth Amendment Seminar, Lawyers, Attorneys, Defendants, Trial And Jury Consulting, 2021
- How to go about gathering facts and evidence to help you present your strongest case without relying on the opponent., Lecturer, Finding the Hidden Ball (Pretrial Investigations), Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Lawyers, Attorneys, Defendants, Trial And Jury Consulting, 2021
- Presentation on the topic of trying and successfully handling cases involving tragic injuries and death from accidents involving intoxication., Lecturer, Nothing Will Make this Right: Handling Human Passion in Intoxication Manslaughter Cases, NCDD, Legal, Lawyers, Attorneys, Defense Attorneys, Trial And Jury Consulting, 2021
- Lecturer on the complex topic of handling expert witnesses in the courtroom. Subtopics included evidentiary issues and objections and keeping unreliable testimony out of the courtroom., Lecturer, Handling Expert Witnesses, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association and Harris County Public Defender, Lawyers, Trial And Jury Consulting, Attorneys, Criminal Defense, 2021
- Lecturer on the complex and divisive are of sexual assault trials., Lecturer, Sexual Assault Cases, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Lawyers, Attorneys, Defendants, Trial And Jury Consulting, 2021
- This presentation covered the complex are of federal writs of habeas corpus., Lecturer, Federal Writs, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Lawyers, Defendants, Accused Individuals, Federal Cases, Post Conviction, 2022
- Invited panelist on succeeding as a woman in the legal industry. , Panelist, Women and the Law: Finding Your Path, Houston Young Lawyers Association, Women, Lawyers, Judiciary, Judges, Court, Law Firms, 2021
- Invited to participate on a legal panel with the judiciary and victims' rights advocate at a forum of media professionals and lawyers. We addressed the intersection of the media and criminal law and the Constitution. , Panelist, Law and the Media, Houston Bar Association, Media, Lawyers, Legal Consulting, Victims' Rights, Bail, Constitutional Law, Judges, 2022
- Presentation on Motions for New Trial after a defendant has been convicted of a crime. Motions for New trial in Texas are on a very short timeline and include investigations into missing or misleading evidence at trial, new evidence after trial and lawyer performance issues., Lecturer, Motions for New Trial, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Post Conviction, Appeals, Lawyers, Investigation, 2022
- This presentation covers jury selection in state and federal court in cases generally, but also specifically covered criminal defense in drug cases and cases involving violent crime allegations including murder, sexual assault, robbery, assault, drugs and drug distribution, guns and more. This presentation also addressed jury questionnaires and general tips for identifying the right jurors for each case., Lecturer, Jury Selection - Voir Dire, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Trial Consulting, Criminal Defense, Drugs, Assault, Jury Trials, Legal Consulting, Lawyers, State And Federal Court, 2022
- Effective preparation and litigation of Motions for New Trial, Lecturer/Presenter/Speaker, Motions for New Trial, State Bar of Texas, 2020
- Legislative Update 2015 - An Overview , The Houston Lawyer, Criminal Law, 2015
- Speaker at the anual Advanced Criminal Law conference teaching lawyers, prosecutors and judges across the state., Speaker, Investigating to Win, State Bar of Texas - Advanced Criminal Law, Criminal Law, Trial, Criminal Defense, 2016
- Speaker, Post Conviction Assistance to Clients and Families, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, Criminal Law, Post Conviction, 2015
- Anatomy of a Trial Seminar - Cross Examination, Speaker, Cross Examination, Texas Criminal Defense Attorneys Association, Criminal Law, 2018
- Speaker on the art of examining witnesses in trial on both cross and direct., Speaker, Examining Witnesses, TCDLA and CDLP, 2017
- Lecture teaching lawyers and judges from across the state about the art of cross examination with a focus on cross examining the "snitch" witness., Speaker, Cross Examining the Snitch, Rusty Duncan Seminar, TCDLA, 2017
- Lecture concerning the handling of serious cases involving sexual assault. This presentation was given to lawyers, judges, students and social workers., Speaker, Defending Sex Crimes Ethically, TCDLA and TSU Law School, 2017
- Lecturer on preparing and handling motions for new trial. Nicole spoke on this under utilized post conviction/appellate attack to lawyers and judges at this conference., Speaker, Motions for New Trial, TCDLA and the Earl Carl Institute for Social Policy at TSU, 2017
- Nicole was the invited guest of the Hidalgo County Bar Association's Criminal Law Conference attended by judges, prosecutors and defense lawyers where she spoke about Motions for New Trial., Speaker, Motions for New Trial, Hidalgo County Bar Association , 2017
- Speaker on the preparation for and examination of witnesses in trial., Speaker, Cross and Direct Examination, TCDLA and CDLP , 2016
- Speaker on pretrial case investigations., Speaker, Pretrial Investigations, Harris County Public Defenders Office and TCDLA Seminar, 2016
- Speaker on the use of social media and other tactics to investigate jurors prior to and during a trial., Speaker, Ethically Investigating Jurors, TCDLA, 2016
- Speaker on the complex area of federal post conviction habeas work., Speaker, Federal Habeas, TDCLA's Post Conviction Seminar, 2016
- Speaker on the defense of allegations of sex crimes including sex assault of a child., Speaker, Defending Sex Crimes Ethically, TCDLA, 2016
- Speaker on Fourth Amendment search and seizure issues., Speaker, Search and Seizure, TCDLA and CDLP, 2016
- Presenter - Sentencing Issues; Salado Texas 2018 , Speaker, Criminal Defense Lawyers Project, Criminal Law
- , Presidential Commendation, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2021
- This award is a rare and prestigious award given for service to the bar and individuals accused through advocacy and pro bono activities in the fight for our freedoms and constitutional rights., Freedom Award, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association, 2021
- Presidential recognition for every year for many years running., Presidential Award, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyer's Association
- , Presidential Award, National Association of Criminal Lawyers, 2020
- , Tier 1 Law Firm Recognition, US News and World Report
- Selected as the criminal defense lawyer of the year for 2017 by US News and World Report. , Lawyer of the Year, US News and World Report, 2017
- Houston's Top Lawyers, H Magazine
- Harris County Criminal Lawyer's Association Presidential Award, HCCLA
- Houston's Most Dynamic Women, Houston Modern Luxury Magazine
- After several years of inclusion in U.S. News and World Reports Best Lawyers list, including the present year, Nicole was awarded Lawyer of the Year in her field. Profile, Lawyer of the Year, Criminal Defense Houston Area, U.S. News and World Reports, 2017
- Federal Court
- Food Safety
- Jury Trials
- Personal Injury
- State Court
- Title IX
- Trial Consulting
Last Updated: 5/15/2022