Ryan van Steenis
Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in Houston, TX
Selected to Rising Stars: 2012 - 2013
An associate at Ajamie LLP, Ryan van Steenis focuses his practice on complex civil litigation matters. Working out of the firm’s offices in Houston, Texas, he represents people and businesses throughout the state. Admitted to practice before all Texas state courts since 2013, Mr. van Steenis is also admitted to practice in California as well as before the U.S District Court for the Northern District of California and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit.
Mr. van Steenis majored in history and political theory as an undergraduate at the University of California, Los Angeles, and he received a Bachelor of Arts in 2003. He then pursued his legal education at Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, and he was an associate editor of its Journal of Law and Policy before being awarded his Juris Doctor. After graduation, Mr. van Steenis was associated with two Los Angeles-area law firms, which led to his bar and court admissions in that state.
Since joining Ajamie LLP in January 2014, Mr. van Steenis has worked on a variety of projects. His caseload has included breach of contract actions and other business disputes, securities litigation, white collar matters such as financial fraud, and tortious interference with business relations. Mr. van Steenis has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in these and other cases, including real estate disputes and entertainment and sports law.
In order to stay abreast of current developments in his fields of practice, Mr. van Steenis is a member of several legal organizations. Outside of the office and courtroom, he works with several nonprofit groups that are devoted to combating human trafficking, including Unlikely Heroes, for which he sits on its board of directors.
About Ryan van Steenis
First Admitted: 2007, California
Professional Webpage: https://www.ajamie.com/lawyers/ryan-van-steenis/
- Southern California Rising Star (Southern California Super Lawyers, 2012, 2013, 2014)
- “Change Can Cost You: Corporate Defendants’ Motions to Change Venue,” Los Angeles Daily Journal, October 6, 2011
- Associate Editor, Washington University Journal of Law and Policy, 2006-2007
- From Mao to Madison and Back: An Examination of China’s National Property Law and its Diminished Potential, 23 Temple International & Comparative Law Journal 35 (2009)
- “Don’t Get Hosed: Register Your Car Wash to Avoid Steep Fines,” Los Angeles Daily Journal,August 31, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Houston Bar Association
- Texas Young Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Texas, 2013
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- California, 2007
Pro bono/Community Service
- Member, Board of Directors, Unlikely Heroes (Legacy Award Honoree, 2018)
- Member, Board of Directors, Pink Door Non-Profit
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., cum laude, College Honors, College of Arts and Sciences, 2003
- Legal counsel to the Super Bowl LI Houston Host Committee providing a wide range of legal services for this multi-billion dollar event, including preventive litigation counseling, risk management, contract negotiation and liability prevention advice for the tens of thousands of workers and volunteers involved in events leading up to and including the big game, 2017
Last Updated: 5/15/2022