Theresa M. Wanat
Top rated health care attorney in Houston, TexasHolland & Knight LLP
Practice Areas: Health care, General litigation; view more
Licensed in Texas since: 2010
Education: University of Houston Law Center
Holland & Knight LLP1100 Louisiana St
Houston, TX 77002 Visit website
Theresa M. Wanat brings a wealth of knowledge and experience to the litigation practice section of the Houston, Texas, office of the international law firm Holland & Knight LLP. Ms. Wanat is a trial and arbitration attorney who focuses on litigation matters affecting a wide range of industries and involving various issues. She represents clients in the healthcare arena including provider disputes, coverage matters, terminations, and ERISA. She also represents clients in the energy sector, including oil, gas and electric cooperatives; the real estate sector; and the financial services industry. Ms. Wanat also is well-versed in providing personal injury defense, including emergency response, and defending Class I railroads.
A 2004 graduate of the University of Michigan where she received a Bachelor of Arts with honors, Ms. Wanat pursued her legal education at the University of Houston Law Center and was awarded her Juris Doctor in 2010. She is admitted to practice before all Texas state courts, the Southern, Eastern, Northern and Western Districts of Texas, and holds memberships in the Houston Bar Association, and Texas Women Lawyers.
Prior to becoming a lawyer, Ms. Wanat taught English and English as a Second Language in the Fifth Ward with Teach For America. As an extension of which, Ms. Wanat serves as a member of the board of directors of Achieve Fort Bend County, a nonprofit organization dedicated to reducing high school dropout rates and to providing opportunities for individuals without diplomas.
A published author and speaker, Ms. Wanat was the co-author of "Drafting Your Best Arbitration Provision: Hot Tips and Recent Case Updates" for the Texas State Bar (September 2020), "Choose Your Own Dispute Resolution Provision" for Pratt's Energy Law Report (March 2019), and other publications. Ms. Wanat has spoken at the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel, the Texas State Bar Business Disputes Conference, the American Arbitration Association, and IRMI Energy & Risk Insurance Conference.
Practice areasHealth care, General litigation
Health & health care law, Litigation
- 70% Health care
- 30% General litigation
First Admitted: 2010, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.hklaw.com/Theresa-Wanat/
- Arbitration or Litigation – Analyzing the Best Options for Dispute Resolution in Oil & Gas Matters, IMR Energyy & Risk Insurance Conference | February 26, 2019
- Arbitration Clauses: Maximizing the Benefit of an Agreement to Arbitrate, NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF RAILROAD TRIAL COUNSEL / OCTOBER 29, 2019
- Choose Your Own Dispute Resolution, Co- Author, Pratt's Energy Law Report, 2019
- Be Careful What You Ask For: The Danger of Asking a Court to Enter a Judgment that You Will Appeal, Co- Author, The Houston Lawyer, 2009
- Jury Selection for Capital Cases, Co-Editor and Researcher, Capital Cases Bench Book, Texas Center for the Judiciary, 2008
- Texas Women Lawyers
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Houston Bar Association
- ACHIEVE Fort Bend County, Board Member
- University of Michigan, B.A., with honors
- Managed care organizations and insurers
Office location for Theresa M. Wanat
1100 Louisiana St
Houston, TX 77002
- Rising Stars: 2017 - 2019, 2021