W. Austin Barsalou
Top rated real estate attorney in Houston, TexasBarsalou & Associates, P.L.L.C.
W. Austin Barsalou is the managing shareholder of the law firm of Barsalou & Associates, PLLC, in Houston, Texas. He puts his 40 years of experience to use and delivers high-quality services in a cost-effective and efficient way. He was licensed to practice in Texas in 1980 and later in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit and the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas.
Board-certified in residential real estate and property owners’ association law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Mr. Barsalou has worked on a variety of sophisticated matters and represented clients in cases pertaining to business law and litigation, entity formation, homeowners' associations, business sales and acquisitions, deed restriction enforcement, contracts, securities law, condominium association litigation and appeals.
After earning his Bachelor of Arts in philosophy from The University of Texas at Austin in 1975, Mr. Barsalou enrolled at the University of Houston Law Center and obtained his Juris Doctor in 1979. During his time there, he served as the editor-in-chief of the Houston Journal of International Law. He also participated in the University of San Diego School of Law’s summer program in Paris.
A motivational speaker, Mr. Barsalou speaks on topics related to HOA law and real estate, and connects with audiences at many legal organizations, schools and continuing legal education seminars. He has written extensively and published many articles. Certified as a mediator by the A.A. White Dispute Resolution Center, he participated in the National Institute for Trial Advocacy’s Advanced Trial Advocacy Program.
Staying active in the legal community and keeping his knowledge current are important to Mr. Barsalou. A fellow of the Houston Bar Foundation, he is a member of the State Bar of Texas’ Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Sections and the chair of its Common Interest Ownership Committee. He is also a member of the Texas Board of Legal Specialization – Real Estate Advisory Commission.
Practice areasReal estate: business, General litigation, Business/corporate, Securities & corporate finance
- 40% Real estate: business
- 30% General litigation
- 20% Business/corporate
- 10% Securities & corporate finance
First Admitted: 1980, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.barsalou.com/attorney/barsalou-w-austin/
- Board Certified, Property Owners Association Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2018 to Present
- Certified Mediator, A.A. White Dispute Resolution Institute
- Board Certified, Residential Real Estate Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2005 to Present
- Houston Bar Foundation, Fellow, 1990
- University of Texas, Austin, Texas, Bachelor of Arts, Major: Philosophy - 1975
- Author and Speaker, "Enforcement of Private Land Use Regulations: Point / Counterpoint - Community Association's Viewpoint" - presented at the 22nd Annual Advanced Real Estate Law Course, State Bar of Texas, in Austin, Texas on June 30, 2000
- Top Ten Things You Need to Know About Homeowners Associations, Presented at the State Bar College Summer School, in Galveston, Texas 2009
- Hot Tips and Current Developments, Presented at the 35th Annual Advanced Real Estate Law Course, State Bar of Texas, in San Antonio, Texas 2013
- Annual Legal Seminar, Community Associations Institute, Houston Chapter, Program Director, 2013 to Present
- Board Leadership Development Workshop, Instructor – Legal, College Station, Texas, February 17, 2018.
- From Declarant to Property Owners Association: A Checklist for the Seamless Transition of a Development, presented at the 30th Annual Advanced Real Estate Drafting Course, State Bar of Texas, in Houston, Texas , 2019
- Author and Speaker, "Chapter 209 of the Texas Property Code," presented at the 35th Annual William W. Gibson, Jr. Mortgage Lending Institute in Austin, Texas on September 13, 2001
- Author and Speaker, "The Homeowner Association Wars: The Community Association's Viewpoint," presented through the Houston Bar Association in Houston, Texas on May 9, 2003
- Author and Speaker, "Mixed Use Development - Single Site CC&Rs," presented at the 28th Annual Advanced Real Estate Law Course, State Bar of Texas in San Antonio, Texas on June 29, 2006
- Author and Speaker, "Texas Uniform Planned Community Act," presented at the 18th Annual Real Estate Drafting Course, State Bar of Texas, in Houston, Texas on March 8, 2007
- Member, Real Estate Advisory Commission, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2017 – present, 2017
- Advanced Trial Advocacy Program, National Institute for Trial Advocacy ("NITA"), 1990
- Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section, Property Owners Association Committee of the State Bar of Texas, Chair, 2009 to 2010
- Northgate Crossing Municipal Utility District No. 2, Past President and Board Member
- Community Associations Institute, Houston Chapter, Legal Committee Chair, 2013 to Present
- Real Estate Advisory Commission, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2017 to Present
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1984
- Texas, 1980
- Chair, Common Interest Ownership Committee, Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Section, State Bar of Texas, 2014 - 18, 2014
Office location for W. Austin Barsalou
4635 Southwest Freeway
Houston, TX 77027
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2011, 2021 - 2022