J. Hans Barcus
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Huntsville, TX
Attorney J. Hans Barcus is a partner with Barcus & Cantrell, PLLC, law firm in Huntsville, Texas. A top-ranked trial lawyer with more than 25 years of total legal experience, Mr. Barcus provides invaluable counsel and support to clients throughout the greater Huntsville and Houston metros and surrounding areas who have suffered a serious injury or lost a loved one due to someone else's negligence or wrongdoing.
Board-certified in personal injury trial law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, Mr. Barcus has achieved remarkable success advocating on behalf of his clients in state, federal and appellate courts across his region. He also holds a certificate for having completed 40 hours of mediation training at the University of Houston Law Center.
Whether inside or outside the courtroom, Mr. Barcus maintains an unwavering focus on protecting his clients' rights and entitlements at all turns, and he has recovered millions of dollars in total compensation for his plaintiff clients. Among his most notable successes, he has secured a settlement of more than $3 million for the family of a young victim killed in a trucking accident and another $3 million settlement for a young man critically injured by a negligent truck driver.
Mr. Barcus has also recovered many other settlements and verdicts well in excess of a million dollars, and he has extensive experience handling complex criminal cases along with personal injury claims. Honored for his remarkable success, he earned consistent recognition from his peers as one of the top 2.5% of lawyers in his region.
A 1992 graduate of Millsap College, Mr. Barcus attended Baylor University School of Law, where he obtained his Juris Doctor in 1995. He also received his Master of Law from the University of California, Berkeley, in 2005. He is admitted to practice before all U.S. District Courts in Texas as well as the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Texas. He also holds his admission to practice before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit.
- 60%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 30%General Litigation
- 10%Employment & Labor: Employee
Motor Vehicle Accidents, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Construction Accident, Personal Injury - Defense, Litigation, Employment Law - Employee, Labor Law
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2022
About J. Hans Barcus
First Admitted: 1995, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.bctexaslawyers.com/attorney/barcus-j-hans/
- Mediation Training Certificate-40 Hour Level- University of Houston Law Center, 2017
- Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2002
- Post Oak Park Townhomes Home Owners Association, Vice-President
- Texas Bar College, Member, 2017 to 2017
- Seven Coves Home Owners Association, Past President
- Harris County Trial Lawyers’ Association, Member
- Walker County Bar Association, Member
- Montgomery County Bar Association, Member
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi, pro hac vice
- U.S. District Court for the District of Nevada, pro hac vice
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
- Texas, 1995
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
Pro bono/Community Service
- Oaks Dad’s Club
- Morse v. Delgado, 975 S.W.2d 378 (Tex. App.—Waco 1998, no writ).
- Mato v. Baldauf, 267 F.3d 444 (5th Cir. 2001)
- Allen v. Connolly, 158 S.W.3d 61 (Tex. App.—Houston [14th Dist.] 2005, no pet.)
- Russell v. Sam Hous. Elec. Coop., 2006 Tex. App. LEXIS 10009 (App.—Beaumont 2006, no pet.)
- In re Penn-America Ins. Co., 2006 Tex. App. LEXIS 9399 (App.—Waco 2006, pet. dism’d by agr.).
- Green v. State, 2006 Tex. App. LEXIS 10658 (App.—Waco Dec. 13, 2006, no pet.)
- Noland v. State, 264 S.W.3d 144 (Tex. App.—Houston [1st Dist.] 2007, no pet.)
- Ontiveros v. City of Rosenberg, 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 112564 (S.D. Tex. 2008)
- Scherer v. Angell, 253 S.W.3d 777 (Tex. App.—Amarillo 2007, no pet.)
- Russell v. Waterwood Improvement Ass’n, 2011 Tex. App. LEXIS 9116 (App.—Beaumont 2011, no pet.)
- Russell v. Altom, 546 F. App’x 432 (5th Cir. 2013)
- In re Adams, 2013 Tex. App. LEXIS 10116 (App.—Tyler 2013, no pet.)
- Arthey v. Schlumberger Tech. Corp., 398 S.W.3d 831 (Tex. App.—Corpus Christi 2012, rev’d 435 S.W.3d 250 (Tex. 2014))
- Russell v. Scottsdale Ins. Co., 2014 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 143882 (S.D. Tex. 2014)
- Craine v. Home Depot U.S.A., 2015 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 181473 (S.D. Tex. 2015)
- Vargas v. Applied Mach. Corp., 2016 Tex. App. LEXIS 1151 (App.—Beaumont 2016, no pet.)
- Tom Wright Constr., LLC v. JDM Steel Constr., LLC, 2017 Tex. App. LEXIS 9551 (Tex. App.—Waco 2017, no pet.)
- Parver v. Jet Blue Airlines Corp., 649 F. App’x 539 (9th Cir. 2016)
- Millsaps College, English and History and minor in Business Administration
- Boalt Hall School of Law, University of California, Berkeley, California, LL.M., 2005
Last Updated: 4/8/2022