Robert G. Chadwick, Jr.
Top rated Employment Litigation attorney in Plano, TexasFreeman Mathis & Gary, LLP
Practice Areas: Employment Litigation, Employee Benefits, Employment & Labor
Licensed in Texas since: 1988
Education: University of Georgia School of Law
With nearly four decades of rich legal experience under his belt, Robert G. Chadwick, Jr. stands out as a top name in employment and labor law, employment litigation and commercial litigation. Dedicated to providing full-service representation, Mr. Chadwick works diligently to achieve favorable results for his management clients in Texas.
Mr. Chadwick is a 1981 graduate of Emory University and received his Juris Doctor from the University of Georgia School of Law in 1984, graduating cum laude. He completed mediation training at Northwestern University in 2017. He is licensed to practice in Texas and Georgia as well as before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th, 10th and District of Columbia Circuits, the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern and Southern Districts of Texas, the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia and the Supreme Court of the United States.
Throughout his career, he has achieved extensive recognition from his fellow professionals, including an AV Preeminent rating* from his peers though Martindale-Hubbell as well as a perfect 10.0 "Superb" peer-review rating through Avvo. Mr. Chadwick is Board Certified in Labor and Employment Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and is an active member of the Professional Liability Underwriting Society, the Claims & Litigation Management Alliance, the American Bar Association and the Addison Rotary Club.
Mr. Chadwick is the author of many legal publications on a variety of topics, such as retaliation claims, unemployment law and hiring ethics, and changes in deferred compensation. He lectures extensively at seminars and conferences throughout Texas and across the U.S. and is a fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
First Admitted: 1988, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.linkedin.com/in/bob-chadwick-b077683/
- Panelist, "Cybersecurity: Preventing Disruption to Your Business", ExponentHR, April 5, 2018 (Plano)
- Author, "Clash of the Titans: Religious Rights vs. LGBT Rights", Professional Liability Underwriting Society Blob, Jan. 4, 2022.
- Speaker, "Workplace Accidents: Navigating OSHA Investigations", National Business Institute Webinar, Nov. 19, 2021
- Speaker, "Texas Sexual Harassment Law, Sexual Orientation and Individual Liability" (with Robin Foret), Dallas Bar Association, Nov. 15, 2021
- Panelist, "New Fault Lines For Labor & Employment Claims in the Post-Trump Era", Claims & Litigation Management Focus Conf.- Management Liability, Oct. 19, 2021 (Chicago)
- Author, "2021: A Year Of Seismic Change For College Athletes", Professional Liability Defense Quarterly Fall 2021
- Author, "The Legacy of #MeToo", Professional Liability Underwriting Society Blog, Aug. 5, 2021
- Author, "LGBT V. Religion: Tough Questions Ahead For the Supreme Court", Professional Liability Defense Quarterly, Summer 2021
- Speaker, "OSHA NEP: What You Need To Know", National Business Institute Webinar, June 2, 2021
- Speaker, "Jury Trials in the Post-Truth Era", Professional Liability Defense Federation Webinar, April 15, 2021
- Speaker, "The Supreme Court is Poised to Take a Right Turn: What Does This Mean For Professional Liability?" (with Tim Soefje), Univ. of Texas School of Law Webinar, Feb. 3, 2021
- Author, "Jury Trials In A Post-Truth World", Professional Liability Underwriting Society Blog, Jan. 11, 2021
- Moderator, "New Battle Lines for Employment Claims", Professional Liability Defense Federation, Nov. 13, 2020
- Speaker, "Human Resource Law From Start to Finish", National Business Institute Webinar, Nov. 2, 2020
- Author, "The Supreme Court Is Poised To Make A Right Turn: What Does This Mean For Professional Liability?", Professional Liability Underwriting Society Blog, Oct. 12, 2020
- Author, "A Professional Liability Paradox: Why Ministers Can't Sue, But Can Be Sued", Professional Liability Defense Quarterly, Fall 2020
- Panelist, "COVID 19 & The Impact on Wage & Hour Claims", Professional Liability Underwriting Society, July 23, 2020
- Panelist, "EuroTech Talks: Do You Know Your Cyberplay?", French-American and Swedish-American Chambers of Commerce, Jan. 23, 2020
- Author, "What Does The Future Hold For Severe Obesity Claims Under The ADA?", Professional Liability Defense Quarterly, Fall 2019
- Author, "Supreme Court to Decide Whether Title VII Bars LGBT Discrimination", Professional Liability Defense Quarterly, Summer 2019
- Speaker, "Discrimination Beneath the Surface: Unconscious Bias & Dog Whistle Bias in the Workplace", TAB/Texas SHRM Employment Relations Symposium, July 18, 2019 (San Antonio); Brazos Valley SHRM Business Seminar, Sept. 10, 2019 (Bryan)
- Author, "Unconscious Bias in the Workplace", Professional Liability Defense Quarterly, Summer 2018
- Speaker, "Sexual Harassment in the #MeToo Era", Addison Rotary Club, April 6, 2018 (Addison), Dallas CPCU Society, Aug. 28, 2018 (Plano).
- Speaker, "Joint Employment Liability", Wage & Hour ExecuSummit, Nov. 27, 2018 (Uncasville, CT)
- Author, "Competing Protected Classes: Another Reason for the Supreme Court to Retire the McDonnell Douglas v. Green Framework", JOURNAL OF AMERICAN LAW, Fall 2015 , journaloflaw.epubxp.com/i/601923-summer-fall-2015
- Speaker, "Employee Benefits Defined Contribution Plans Update", ABA Taxation/RPTE 2015 Joint Fall CLE Meeting, Sept. 20, 2015 (Chicago).
- Author, "Employee Non-Disclosure Agreements Post-Weinstein And #MeToo", Professional Liability Defense Quarterly, Winter 2018.
- Speaker, "OSHA Record-Keeping & How to Stay in Compliance", NBI Video Webinar, Altoona, Wisc., Dec. 20, 2017
- Speaker, "Active Shooter Risks for Businesses and Employers in Texas" , CLM, Oct. 20, 2016 (Dallas); Collin County Bar Assoc., Sep. 15, 2017 (Plano).
- Speaker, "Advanced Employment Law", NBI, Nov. 15, 2017 (Dallas).
- Speaker, "Joined at the Hip? New Legal Challenges for Staffing and Franchise Relationships", TAB/Texas SHRM Employment Relations Symposium, July 21, 2016 (San Antonio).
- Summary judgment in favor of employer in FLSA collective action alleging exemption misclassification. Mondeck v. LineQuest, LLC, 2021 WL 5230856 (W.D.Tex. Aug. 28, 2021)
- Successful representation of multiple employers as to OSHA citations arising from employee fatalities.
- Successfully represented national construction company in resolving discrimination complaint filed by a terminated employee with the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (2007)
- Summary judgment in favor of national law firm employer in state court action alleging pregnancy discrimination (2010)
- Case determinative sanction in favor of restaurant employer in sexual harassment case (2008)
- Successful appeal in probate case of first impression, In re Estate of Boren, 268 S.W.3d 841 (Tex.App. - Texarkana 2008, pet. denied)
- Successfully represented security company in audit by the Department of Labor regarding overtime pay for 50 security guards (2007)
- Summary judgment in favor of law firm employer in state court action in Houston alleging age discrimination (2010)
- Summary judgment in favor of church employer alleging breach of contract and fraud in employee benefit case (2014)
- Case determinative sanction and sanctions award of $114,777.50 (collected in full) for frivolous lawsuit alleging breach of fiduciary duties (With Bruce Campbell) Johnson ex rel. Johnson v. Chesnutt, 225 S.W.3d 737 (Tex.App. - Dallas 2007, pet. denied)
- Favorable jury verdict in Oklahoma collective action seeking overtime pay under the Fair Labor Standards Act, Milburn, et al. v. Earth Grains Baking Companies, Inc., 2001 WL 34031 (W.D. Okla. Feb. 26, 2001)
- Dismissal with prejudice of ERISA claim brought against non-profit hospital employer with more than 17,000 employees (2006)
- Summary judgment in favor of non-profit organization in suit by former employee alleging fraud and breach of contract (2014)
- Sanders v. Baucum, 929 F.Supp. 1028 (N.D.Tex. 1996), aff'd, 134 F.3d 331 (5th Cir. 1998), cert. denied, 525 U.S. 868 (1998)
- President, Addison Rotary Foundation (2010 - 2013); President, Addison Rotary Club (2018-2019)
- District of Columbia
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Professional Liability Defense Federation, Chair, EPLI Committee, 2019-2020, Board of Directors, 2020-present.
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society ("PLUS"), Co-Chair, Chapter Development Committee, 2012-2015
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation, 2014-present
- Texas, 1988
- Texas Association of Business, Employment Relations Committee, 2007-present
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern Districts of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Section
- American Bar Association
- Georgia, 1984
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society ("PLUS"), Texas Chapter Chair, 2008-2009; Co-Chair of Chapter Development Committee, 2012-2015.
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern Districts of Texas
- State Bar of Texas, Labor & Employment Law Section
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Tenth Circuits
- U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Fifth Circuits
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern Districts of Texas
- Top Rated Lawyer in Labor & Employment Law®, based upon a rating of 5.0 out of 5 (AV® Preeminent™), by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings
- Texas Top Rated Lawyers®
- Board Certified, Labor & Employment Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1990-present
- One of "Texas' Top Rated Lawyers®" and a "Top Rated Lawyer in Labor & Employment Law®", based upon a rating of 5.0 out of 5 (AV® Preeminent™), by Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™.
- Represented management team of an IT company consisting of 16 officers and managers in $330 million acquisition by a publicly traded company (2007)
- Northwestern University, Mediation Certificate, 2017
- Emory University, B.A., Honors: Pi Sigma Alpha and Phi Alpha Theta, Vice President, 1981
- Super Lawyers: 2003, 2011 - 2023