Michael B. Thurman
Top rated real estate attorney in San Antonio, TexasThurman & Phillips, P.C.
Practice Areas: Real estate, Business & corporate; view more
Licensed in Texas since: 1976
Education: St. Mary's University School of Law
Thurman & Phillips, P.C.4093 De Zavala Rd.
San Antonio, TX 78249 Visit website
A founder of Thurman & Phillips, P.C., Michael B. Thurman focuses his practice on a variety of real estate and business matters. Located in Shavano Park, Texas, he represents businesses and individuals throughout the greater San Antonio area. Admitted to practice in Texas since 1976, Mr. Thurman is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Eastern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas. He has also been certified as a specialist in both real estate law – residential and property owners association law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
In his real estate practice, Mr. Thurman has been able to draw on his personal experience in development, construction and acquisition. He now concentrates primarily on HOAs and other types of community associations, providing advice and counsel to boards on state and federal regulatory compliance and other matters, and preparing a variety of governing documents, including covenants, conditions and restrictions. Mr. Thurman's real estate caseload includes mechanic's liens as well.
Mr. Thurman's business law practice has involved working with entrepreneurs who are considering a new venture. At the outset, he helps them to determine the most appropriate form of legal entity for the business, and he then prepares applicable agreements. Mr. Thurman has also represented larger clients in acquisitions and other transactions, negotiating and drafting what are often complex documents. Mr. Thurman's fellow professionals have taken note of the overall high quality of his work in all of his endeavors, and they have awarded him an AV Preeminent peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell and an "Excellent" peer review rating through Avvo. A 1976 recipient of a Juris Doctor from St. Mary's University School of Law, he is a member of the San Antonio Bar Association and other professional groups.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasReal estate: business, Business/corporate
Condominiums & cooperatives
- 80% Real estate: business
- 20% Business/corporate
First Admitted: 1976, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.thurmanphillips.com/attorney/thurman-michael-b/
- Sale of premier country club resort $38,000,000.00 Sale of national construction/insulation company $48,000,000.00 Representation of largest Mixed Use Property Owners Association in Bexar County for 20+ years
- Texas Mechanic's and Materialman's Liens
- Enforcement and Foreclosure of Mechanic's Liens in Texas
- Legislative Fixes for New Laws Overview of 2011 Legislative Changes affecting Community Associations Enforcement of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions by Homeowner Associations Texas Mechanic’s and Materialman’s Liens Enforcement and Foreclosure of Mechanic’s Liens in Texas
- Enforcement of Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions by Homeowner Associations
- Overview of 2011 Legislative Changes affecting Community Associations
- Preparation of Handbook including Chapters 202, 207 and 209 Texas Property Code with highlights from 2015 Legislative Changes, Lecture and writing, 2015 Legislative Changes, Texas legislature, Community Associations And Community Managers, 2015
- Speaker and powerpoint presentation for training of community association managers., Lecture/Powerpoint, Texas Property Code Chapter 209 Overview, Community Associations And Management Companies, 2019
- State Bar of Texas Construction Law, Business Law, Litigation and Real Estate, Probate and Trust sections, Member
- College of the State Bar of Texas, Member, 1991
- Former Community Association Institute-San Antonio Director Member Community Association Institute-San Antonio Member Community Association Institute-National Included in inaugural class of Board Certified by the Texas Board of Specialization-Property Owner Association Law
- San Antonio Bar Association, Member
- State Bar of Texas, Member
- Texas Tech University, 1973, BBA
- The Firm represents over 300 community associations Representative Clients: Stone Oak Property Owners Association, Inc.-San Antonio Canyon Springs Homeowners Association-San Antonio, Texas Island Moorings Homeowners Association-Port Aransas, Texas Master Kings Crossing Homeowners Association-Corpus Christi, Texas Clearwater Harbor Homeowners Association-Kingsland, Texas Key Allegro Canal Property Owners Association-Rockport, Texas Crescent Bluff Property Owners Association-Georgetown, Texas, 2019
- Inaugural Class of Board Certified Texas Board of Legal Specialization-Property Owner Association Law, 2019
- Board Certified Texas Board of Legal Specialization- Residential Real Estate Law Board Certified Texas Board of Legal Specialization- Property Owner Association Law
- Judicial AV Preeminent Rating Martindale-Hubbell, Martindale-Hubbell, 2021
- , Best Attorneys in San Antonio, Scene Magazine, 2021
- Texas Super Lawyer, Texas Monthly magazine
- , Judicial AV Preeminent Rating , Martindale-Hubbell, 2020
- Top Lawyers in Texas by The Legal Network 2015 and 2016., Top Lawyers in Texas, The Legal Network
- AV rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Nominated by public and received recognition as one of the Best Attorneys in San Antonio by Scene Magazine, Best Attorneys in San Antonio, Scene Magazine, 2015
- Nominated by peers in the legal profession and received honor multiple years, Received Super Lawyers recognition multiple years, Super Lawyers, 2019
- Rated 8.2 Excellent, AVVO Rated, AVVO, 2019
- Board Certified By The Texas Board Of Legal Specialization For
- College Of The State Bar
- Community Association Institute
- Residential Real Estate Law and Property Owners Association Law
- State Bar Construction Law Section
- State Bar Real Estate And Probate Section
Office location for Michael B. Thurman
4093 De Zavala Rd.
San Antonio, TX 78249
- Super Lawyers: 2004 - 2006, 2020 - 2023