Deborah J. Race
Top Rated Appellate Attorney in Tyler, TX
Deborah J. Race is an appellate attorney at Deborah Race - Attorney at Law in Tyler, Texas. She focuses her practice exclusively on appeals, litigation support and local counsel. With over 38 years of legal experience, Ms. Race is board-certified in civil appellate law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization. She provides sound and knowledgeable counsel to clients throughout the state of Texas.
With a genuine concern for her clients, Ms. Race advocates fiercely and tirelessly for them. She has extensive experience successfully helping clients with the appellate process. Ms. Race is aware that the appeals process can be difficult and complicated and prepares her clients for trial and what to expect from it. With a Bachelor of Science degree from Texas A&M University College of Dentistry, Ms. Race pursued law and earned her Juris Doctor degree from the University of Houston.
Ms. Race is actively involved in the field of law and has several memberships in prominent organizations. She is a charter member of the American Inns of Court, the Texas Bar Foundation, ABA Bar Foundation and the Litigation Counsel of America. She is also a member of the Women’s Section of the Smith County Bar Association.
Ms. Race was council member of the Appellate Section and the Women and the Law Section of the State Bar of Texas, for which she also served as chair. She was a former member of the Grievance Committee District 2A, Panel Chair 2A2 as well as co-chair of the District 2 Nominating Committee of the Texas Bar Foundation. She was also past chair of the American Institute of Appellate Practice. Ms. Race was the past president of the Smith County Bar Association and served on the Board of Disciplinary Appeals.
Honored for her enthusiasm in and dedication to the legal field, Ms. Race has been the recipient of many awards. She has received the Top Women Attorneys in Texas 2020 award as well as the Barbara Culver Clack Award from the Women’s Section of the State Bar of Texas, Award of Excellence from the Smith County Bar Association and the Peter Perlman Service Award from the Litigation Counsel of America.
Ms. Race has achieved significant recognition in the pro bono field. She works for various community organizations such as the Women's Fund of Smith County, the Smith County Bar Foundation and Habitat for Humanity of Smith County. Prior to these, she has worked with PATH and The Hospice of East Texas and has volunteered with the volunteer attorney program in Smith County.
About Deborah J. Race
First Admitted: 1982, Texas
Professional Webpage: http://raceappeallaw.com/
- Charter Member of the T. John Ward American Inns of Court
- Former member of Grievance Committee District 2A, Panel Chair 2A2
- Council member, Appellate Section of the State Bar of Texas, 1995-1998
- Co-Chair District 2 Nominating Committee Texas Bar Foundation
- Member, ABA Bar Foundation
- Council member and past chair, Women and the Law Section of the State Bar of Texas
- Member of the Institute of Appellate Practice with the Litigation Counsel of America
- Supreme Court of the United States
- 5th and Federal Circuit Courts of Appeals
- Chair of the Appellate Practice Institute of the Litigation Counsel of America, 2016
- President of the Smith County Bar Association, 2012
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
- Appointed to the Board of Disciplinary Appeals by the Supreme Court of Texas, 2007
- Fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation
- Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1989
- This is an award given by the Chair of the Women and the Law Section recognizing a member who has been helpful to the chair and the section., Barbara Culver Clack Award, Women and the Law State Bar of Texas, 2016
- Recognized as one of the Top Women Attorneys in Texas, 2020
- Selected to Super Lawyers, 2007-present
- This award is given annually to a lawyer who has significantly contributed to the community and raised the profile of the legal profession within the community., Award of Excellence, Smith County Bar Association, 2009
- Peter Perlman Service Award is an award given by the Litigation Counsel of America to an attorney who gives back to the community through service to non-profits., Peter Perlman Service Award, Litigation Counsel of America, 2017
Pro bono/Community Service
- Has served on various community boards and currently serves on the boards of Women's Fund of Smith County, Smith County Bar Foundation and Habitat for Humanity of Smith County. Previously served as the president of Path, a local charity that attempts to give those in need of a hand up and the president of Hospice of East Texas, which provides Hospice care throughout East Texas and also maintains HomePlace, an in-patient hospice facility. Also volunteer with the Volunteer Attorney Program in Smith County., 2019
Last Updated: 7/8/2022