Top rated medical malpractice attorney in Waco, TexasBrown Trial Firm, PLLC
EXPERIENCE and RESULTS MATTER. Laura is a third generation trial attorney–both her father and grandfather were trial attorneys, and she grew up watching both of them take cases to trial. Now, with over 27 years of trial experience herself, Laura is recognized as a leader within the birth injury litigation field and as a principal of the Brown Trial Firm.
In addition to her experience, Laura has a track record of success: winning multiple multi-million dollar settlements and verdicts for children with Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE), Cerebral Palsy (CP), and other birth injuries.
Laura is an advocate for children. Her practice is focused on birth injury cases. She represents children who have been hurt at or near the time of birth due to negligent medical care. These are babies who have suffered serious injuries because of medical negligence and preventable medical errors.
Laura’s advocacy has been widely recognized among her peers. She is Board Certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, a Chapter President of the American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) and also serves as co-chair of the Birth Trauma Litigation Group (BTLG) and co-editor of the BTLG newsletter. Through the BTLG, Laura has taught seminars to nurses and to attorneys educating on how to avoid preventable medical errors that result in birth injuries.
At Baylor Law, Laura serves as an Adjunct Professor, teaching courses in Advanced Trial Preparation and Personal Injury Trial Law. And, she is co-author of Proving Damages to the Jury (3rd ed. 2018) with Baylor Law professor and respected trial attorney, Jim Wren.
Through the Brown Trial Firm, Laura has sponsored educational resources and community support centers focused on birth injury, including:
- BirthInjurySafety.org: a complete guide for parents with children who have suffered a birth injury
- CPGuide.org: help for families and children affected by Cerebral Palsy and other injuries related to CP
- HIEGuide.org: help for families and children affected by Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (HIE) and other injuries related to HIE
- A Parent’s Guide to Birth Injuries: 5 Things You Need to Know: a free e-book spanning five chapters covering the things you need to know if your child has a birth injury
In addition to being recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer, and she is a member of the Million and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates forum because of the past multi-million dollar jury verdicts and settlements that she has achieved for her clients.
Laura is also active in the broader plaintiff’s legal community, serving as a member of the American Association for Justice, the Texas Trial Lawyers Association, the Association of Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America and the Motor Vehicle Trial Lawyers Association.
Practice areasPersonal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff, Personal injury - general: plaintiff
Medical malpractice, Birth injury, Motor vehicle accidents, Personal injury - plaintiff, Wrongful death, Brain injury, Trucking accidents
- 90% Personal injury - medical malpractice: plaintiff
- 10% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1992, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.browntrialfirm.com/laura-brown.html
- Adjunct Professor, Personal Injury Trial, Baylor Law School
- Professor, Baylor Law School, 2013
- Speaker, Lost Chance of Survival, Texas State Bar CLE, Texas State Bar Association, 2010
- Baylor University, B.A., Biology, 1989
- Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2008
- Board, Molly Martinson Foundation, 2014
- Leadership Waco Alumna
- Former Board of Managers, YMCA
- Former Board of Directors, Heart of Texas Legal Aid
- Former Board of Directors, Kids & Company
- Food for Family Food Drive, McLennan County, Texas, 2011
- $16.3 MILLION DOLLAR VERDICT - Wrongful Death: a nurse aid driving home drunk from work caused a fatal car accident, killing a man. There was a confidential settlement reached while the case was on appeal. This verdict was reported at #23 among the top 50 verdicts in Texas in 2015., 2015
- $10.3 MILLION DOLLAR VERDICT - Cerebral Palsy Birth Injury: a child suffered permanent injuries following birth asphyxia when an compressed umbilical cord inhibited the flow of oxygen to the brain during labor and delivery. The medical professionals failed to timely perform an emergency c-section delivery. The baby’s umbilical cord was wrapped twice around his neck—so tightly that the doctor had to cut the umbilical cord off to free the baby. Because of the lack of oxygen, the baby suffered serious brain injuries. The brain injuries resulted in spastic quadriplegia, a severe form of cerebral palsy. , 2018
- $7.7MILLION CEREBRAL PALSY MALPRACTICE LAWSUIT: The child suffered HIE and CP injuries when the medical professionals failed to timely order and perform a c-section in response to fetal distress warnings. A contingent (%) fee charged on the successful recovery resulted in a fee of $3,080,000 and litigation expenses and attorney’s fees which were reimbursed by the client out of the gross settlement amount.
- $5.8 MILLION CEREBRAL PALSY MALPRACTICE LAWSUIT: The child suffered HIE and CP as a result of uterine rupture, placental abruption, and a delay in performing an emergency c-section. A contingent (%) fee charged on the successful recovery resulted in a fee of $1,441,584 and litigation expenses and attorney’s fees which were reimbursed by the client out of the gross settlement amount.
- Here is a comprehensive plan for dealing with the damages aspect of your case, from the outset of the litigation through the close of trial. Built on a solid foundation of current scientific research and more than 30 years of in-the-trenches trial experience, this 800-page masterwork will help you understand juror biases and motivations, develop persuasive evidence of damages, and talk to jurors in a way that triggers the jurors’ natural desire to do what is right and significant by awarding damages to your client. by Jim Wren and Laura Brown, Proving Damages to the Jury (3rd ed.), Education, Legal, Litigation, 2018
- , Texas Monthly - Super Lawyer, Texas Monthly, 2021
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers, 2011-2015
- Rising Star, Texas Monthly Super Lawyer
- Super Lawyer, Rising Star Super Lawyers
- AAJ Birth Trauma Litigation Group Co-Chair, 2021
- American Board of Trial Advocates - President Waco Chapter, 2021
- Member, Motor Vehicle Trial Lawyers Association
- American Board of Trial Advocates, President - Waco Chapter, 2020
- State Bar of Texas
- Member, American Association for Justice , 2020
- Director, Waco-McLennan County Bar Association, 2015-Present
- Member, Interstate Trucking Litigation Group
- Former Board of Directors, McLennan County Bar Association
- Member, Texas Trial Lawyers' Association
- Co-Chair, Birth Trauma Litigation Group 2019-2020
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates, 2015-2020, 2020
- Member, Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America
- Director, Waco-McLennan County Bar Association, 2002-2004
- Judge, Abner V. McCall Inn of Court, 1992
- Member, State Bar of Texas District 8B Grievance Committee
- American Association For Justice (AAJ)
- American Board Of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Association Of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers Of America
- Birth Trauma Litigation Group
- Interstate Trucking Litigation Group
- Motor Vehicles Trial Lawyers Association
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association (TTLA)
Office location for Laura Brown
215 S 2nd St
River Square Center, Suite 308
Waco, TX 76701
- Super Lawyers: 2017 - 2022
Certificates and credentials
Personal Injury Trial Law