Russell D. Hunt, Sr.
Top rated criminal defense attorney in Waco, TexasRussell D. Hunt, Sr., Attorney at Law
After graduating from Baylor University School of Law in Waco, Texas, attorney Russell D. Hunt Sr. began his legal career in the McLennan County District Attorney's Office as the assistant district attorney in 1977. Since starting his own firm in 1985, Mr. Hunt has been practicing state and federal criminal defense law exclusively.
Board certified in criminal law by both the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and National Board of Trial Advocacy, Mr. Hunt is also licensed to practice in the state of Minnesota, and will travel there to handle federal criminal cases. He primarily practices throughout central Texas and is admitted in the Western, Northern and Southern Districts of the federal courts of Texas, as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit.
Mr. Hunt is a member of numerous professional associations including the American Bar Association, the Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association (TCDLA), the Academy of Certified Trial Lawyers of Minnesota and a life member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL).
An AV-rated* Martindale-Hubbell criminal defense attorney, he represents the citizen accused. In his career, Russell D. Hunt Sr. has successfully defended against a wide range of criminal charges including DUI/DWI, homicide, capital murder, sex offenses, child pornography, theft and white collar crimes.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasCriminal defense, Criminal defense: DUI/DWI, Criminal defense: white collar
Arrest & arraignment, Assault & battery, Criminal fraud, Criminal law, Drug & alcohol violations, False accusations, Felony, Misdemeanor, Motor vehicle offenses, Murder, Probation, Sex offenses, Tax evasion, Theft, Criminal domestic violence, DUI/DWI, White collar crime, Criminal law - federal
- 80% Criminal defense
- 10% Criminal defense: DUI/DWI
- 10% Criminal defense: white collar
First Admitted: 1977, Texas
Professional Webpage: https://www.rhuntlaw.com/attorney/russell-d-hunt-sr/
- Life Member, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- U.S. District Court District of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- Member, Waco McLennan County Bar Association
- Member, Texas Criminal Defense Lawyers Association
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- Former Treasurer, National Delagate, Waco Chapter, Federal Bar Association, 1995 - Present
- Member, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Academy of Certified Trial Lawyers of Minnesota
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Texas Association of Board Certified Specialists in Criminal Law
- Seminar Presenter, Federal Bar Association
- Guest Lecturer, Baylor Law School
- The Baylor University Alumni Association produced a multi week lecture series dealing with Criminal Law and invited me to be one of only four lecturers. Other presenters included Tom Gray, Chief Justice, 10th Court of Appeals; Hon. Judge Ralph Strother, District Court Judge of 19th Judicial District Court; Hon. Crawford Long, Ret. First Assistant Criminal District Attorney, McLennan County, Texas, Lecturer , Baylor University Life Long Learning Course, BU Alumni Association, 2013
- Every year I expend at least 50 hours providing legal advice and counsel for those citizens who cannot afford the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney. I am called almost every day by, or on behalf of, an accused who is indigent, but who is seeking pro bono legal advice. I provide this advice and counsel without charge.
- JD Baylor Law School Waco, Texas, 1977
- University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minnesota, B.A. in The Humanities, 1964
- University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, M.S.Ed., in Secondary Education, 1969
- Criminal Law, National Board of Trial Advocacy, 1992
- Criminal Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 1990
- In last five years,tried 10 Capital Murder cases to a jury, with only one Death verdict: 2008 Robert Byrd persuaded State to waive Death, Life Without Parole (LWOP); 2008 Roger McCluer persuaded State to waive Death, Life Without Parole (LWOP); 2008 Megan Grant convicted of lesser-included Murder 2010 Juanita Svenningsen persuaded State to waive Death, Life Without Parole (LWOP); 2011 Brandon Walker persuaded State to waive Death, Life Without Parole (LWOP); 2011 Joyce Sturdivant convicted of lesser-included Murder; 2013 Wesley Scott Murphy convicted of lesser-included Murder; 2013 Marcus Landrum persuaded State to waive Death, Life Without Parole (LWOP); 2013 Brandon Cotton persuaded State to waive Death, Life Without Parole (LWOP);, 2008
- Fellow, College of the State Bar of Texas, 1990
- I was honored to be selected as a Board Member of the State Bar College of Texas, and served in that capacity from 2010 t0 2013, when I rotated off. The State Bar College is an organiztion, charted by the State Bar of Texas, which places special emphasis on increased legal education in order to improve the overall quality of members of the State Bar of Texas., Board Member, State Bar College, Texas State Bar College, 2010
- Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory "AV" Rated
- Honored Endowment Fund Scholar, College of the State Bar of Texas
- Invited to join and joined National Trial Lawyers, 100 Top Trial Lawyers in Texas 2013., 2013
- Qualified to Handle First Chair Capital Murder Cases
Office location for Russell D. Hunt, Sr.
425 Austin Avenue
Waco, TX 76701
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2012, 2014 - 2022