Alan W. Mortensen
Top rated personal injury attorney in Salt Lake City, UtahMortensen & Milne
Alan W. Mortensen is a partner and shareholder of the Salt Lake City, Utah-based firm Mortensen & Milne. For more than 25 years, he has represented clients in motor vehicle accidents, civil rights, negligence, construction, civil rights, workplace injury, product liability, forfeiture, employment and insurance bad faith cases. He is licensed to practice in Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, the Utah Supreme Court, the Utah Court of Appeals, the Wyoming Supreme Court and the 10th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals. He is a member of a number of professional organizations, including the Utah State Bar, the Salt Lake County Bar Association, the American Association for Justice and the Wyoming Trial Lawyers Association. He served on the Executive Board and the Board of Governors for the Utah Association for Justice.
Mr. Mortensen has recovered notable verdicts in a number of significant cases. Most notably he was lead counsel on a $25,000,000 wrongful death verdict of a child. He also was a lead counsel in the Elko, Nevada bus crash where his client received a confidential settlement amount. He acted as one of the lead trial lawyers in the Crandall Canyon Mine Disaster, a major 2007 case involving a mine tragedy that killed six miners as well as three additional workers who were attempting rescue efforts. Several factors were uncovered that contributed to the event, and the mine received historic fines because of safety issues. He also acted as the lead lawyer in the case of the Guatemalan Air Disaster, in which several missionaries lost their lives in a plane crash due to a faulty engine. He has additionally litigated a number of other complex aviation disasters, mining accidents, construction accidents and semi-truck accidents.
Because of his achievements, Mr. Mortensen has been appeared on "The Today Show" and NPR as well as in the New York Times, USA Today, LA Times and the Salt Lake Tribune. He has published a number of articles on topics such as aircraft product liability and workers' compensation, and he has earned settlements and verdicts in the eight-figure range, which qualified him for membership in the ABOTA, Million Dollar Advocates Forum and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum. He is also a platinum member of The Verdict Club for Premier Trial Lawyers. Mr. Mortensen has additionally garnered an AV-Preeminent* rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
*AV-Preeminent and BV-Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff, Aviation and aerospace, Personal injury - products: plaintiff
- 50% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
- 30% Aviation and aerospace
- 20% Personal injury - products: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1993, Utah
Professional Webpage: http://www.mortmilnelaw.com
- Sullivan v. Scoular Grain: Injured Employees Further Forced to Bear Burden to Boss's Neglect
- Litigating Aircraft Product Liability Cases: Avoiding the General Aviation Revitalization Act's Statute of Repose
- What Every Plaintiff's Lawyer Should Know in Avoiding Workers Compensation Immunity with Public Employers (Sherwood v. Oklahoma County)
- Erin V. Nielson v. City of South Salt Lake and Officer Gary Jason Burnham
- West American Insurance Company v. AV & S, AM & S, LSK, AS & S, & Ambassador Pizza, Inc.
- Fire Insurance v. Blackner
- State of Utah v. 73,130 United States Currency
- Allstate Insurance Company v. Richard Worthington
- Chevron Mining Inc. v. United Mine Workers of America
- Randy O. Lieber v. ITT Hartford Insurance Center, INC.
- Member, BYU Cougar Club
- Platinum Member, The Verdict Club, Premier Trial Lawyers
- Sits on Board of Directors and do legal work for Centerpoint Legacy Theater in Centerville, Utah, 2000
- University of Wyoming College of Law, With Honors, Member, Land & Water Law Review (now known as the Wyoming Law Review)
- University of Utah, B.A. in Political Science, With Honors
- Member, The Verdict Club for Premier Trial Lawyers
- Selected as one of Utah's Legal Elite
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, National Association of Trial Lawyers
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, 2005
- Member, Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Nominated and elected to the American Board of Trial Advocates., 2020
- Nominated and elected to Litigation Counsel of America, 2020
- Member, Wyoming Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Utah Association for Justice
- Member, Salt Lake County Bar Associations
- Member, Utah State Bar Association
- Member, American Association for Justice
- President of the Utah Association for Justice, 2017
- $25,000,000 wrongful death verdict of a 3 year old child that strangled in corded window blinds. Believed to be the largest in Utah history., 2021
- Confidential settlement of a significantly brain injured woman from a trucking/bus accident, believed to be the largest single plaintiff settlement in Utah history., 2021
- $16,000,000 bench trial verdict against the FLDS Church for the childhood marriage and rape of an underage girl., 2018
- Utah Bar Association
- Wyoming Bar Association
Office location for Alan W. Mortensen
68 S Main St
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
- Super Lawyers: 2012 - 2017, 2020 - 2022