Edward B. Havas
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Salt Lake City, UT
- Virtual Appointments
Attorney Edward B. Havas is a founding member and president of Dewsnup King Olsen Worel Havas Mortensen law firm in Salt Lake City, Utah. Nationally recognized as one of the leading trial attorneys in the country, Mr. Havas has achieved remarkable success over the course of his nearly 40 years in practice, and he provides unmatched representation and support to clients throughout the greater Salt Lake City area and all across the state who have suffered injuries or loss as a result of someone else's negligence or wrongdoing.
Handling all types of personal injury and wrongful death claims, Mr. Havas has secured millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for those adversely affected by motor vehicle accidents, aviation accidents, construction and industrial accidents, medical malpractice, oil, gas and mining accidents, defective products and other preventable tragedies. From his success, he has earned lifetime memberships in both the Million Dollar and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forums, and he has received numerous awards and honors from his peers.
Among his most notable accolades, Mr. Havas holds an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell and was selected as one of the Nation's Top 1% of attorneys by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. Moreover, The National Trial Lawyers has named him among the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Utah, and Lawdragon Inc. named him a Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyer. He has also earned a Legal Elite designation as well as consistent recognition from The Best Lawyers in America, which bestowed him with the Lawyer of the Year award in 2012 and 2018.
Mr. Havas is also a member of the prestigious American Board of Trial Advocates, and he has served as vice president of the Brain Injury Alliance of Utah. He is also active with various other local, state and national legal organizations, and he is an emeritus member of the Utah Supreme Court's Advisory Committee on the Rules of Evidence.
A 1979 cum laude graduate of Weber State University, Mr. Havas obtained his Juris Doctor from Utah College of Law in 1981, where he graduated from the Order of the Coif. He holds his admission to practice before all state and federal courts in Utah, as well as before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Along with being an attorney, Mr. Havas is also an instrument-rated pilot, and he supports his local community though his involvement with the Utah Arts Festival, where he has served as chair of its board of directors.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Best Lawyers® and The Best Lawyers in America© are registered trademarks of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC. The names, logo, and database are protected under the trademark, copyright, and fair use laws of the United States of America. Any use of name, including in electronic form, must be made only by permission and under the guidelines of BL Rankings, LLC d/b/a Best Lawyers and Co., LLC.
- 40%Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 30%Aviation and Aerospace
- 20%Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 10%Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Wrongful Death, Construction Accident, Brain Injury, Trucking Accidents, Premises Liability - Plaintiff, Aviation, Aviation Accidents - Plaintiff, Medical Malpractice, Birth Injury, Delayed or Incorrect Diagnosis, Motor Vehicle Defects, Medical Devices, Pharmaceutical
- Super Lawyers: 2008 - 2022
About Edward B. Havas
First Admitted: 1981, Utah
Professional Webpage: https://www.dkowlaw.com/attorneys/item/20-edward-b-havas
- United States Supreme Court, 2013
- U.S. 10th Circuit, 1981
- Member, American Board of Trial Advocates
- Past President and Member, Board of Governors, Utah Association for Justice (formerly Utah Trial Lawyers Association); Member and Past President, Watkiss-Sutherland II Inn of Court; Emeritus Member, Utah Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Rules of Evidence
- Weber State University, B.S. Political Science, cum laude, 1979
- Arbitrator and Mediator, Brain Injury Alliance of Utah, Medical Malpractice and Injury Cases
Pro bono/Community Service
- Chair, The Brain Injury Alliance of Utah, Medical Malpractice Pre-Litigation Screening Panel
- Chair, Utah Arts Festival’s Board of Directors
- Emeritus Member, Utah Supreme Court's Advisory Committee, Rules of Evidence
- Vice President, The Brain Injury Alliance of Utah
- Volunteer Judge pro tem, Salt Lake City Justice Court (Small Claims Dept.); Past Chair/member of Emeritus Board, Utah Arts Festival
- Salt Lake City’s Personal Injury Litigation Lawyer of the Year in 2012 and again in 2018, Best Lawyers in America
- Member, Order of the Coif Legal Honor Society, University of Utah College of Law
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Utah, The National Trial Lawyers Association
- Utah’s Legal Elite
- Member, Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Mountain States Super Lawyers
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Consumer Lawyer
- Top One Percent by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
Last Updated: 5/15/2022