Mary G. Kirkpatrick
Top rated Personal Injury attorney in South Burlington, VermontKirkpatrick & Goldsborough, PLLC
Attorney Mary G. Kirkpatrick is a partner with the Kirkpatrick & Goldsborough, PLLC, law firm in Burlington, Vermont. A highly rated, award-winning attorney with more than 38 years of legal experience, Ms. Kirkpatrick focuses her practice on trial work involving personal injury and product liability, commercial and bankruptcy litigation, workers' compensation, family law, immigration law and other civil matters. She also has extensive experience handling appeals, and she holds her certification in mediation and arbitration from Harvard Law School.
Whether fighting for her clients in court or working to help her clients resolve their conflicts and reach agreements through alternative dispute resolution, Ms. Kirkpatrick maintains an unwavering focus on her clients' needs while aggressively pursuing the most favorable outcomes on their behalves. A veteran of more than 50 jury trials and numerous arbitrations, mediations and appeals, Ms. Kirkpatrick has achieved considerable success over the course of her career, and she possesses the skills and resources necessary to help her clients find the solutions they seek efficiently and cost-effectively.
In recognition for her professionalism and service, Ms. Kirkpatrick holds an AV Preeminent peer review rating* from Martindale-Hubbell, and she has earned recognition from her peers as one of the top plaintiff personal injury lawyers in her region. She also received the Thurgood Marshall Award from the Association of the Bar of the City of New York in 1998 for her selfless pro bono representation of death row inmates. Perhaps most importantly, she has received many positive reviews and referrals from her satisfied clients.
A 1978 cum laude graduate of Middlebury College, Ms. Kirkpatrick obtained her Juris Doctor cum laude from the University of Miami School of Law in 1981. While there, she took 3rd place in the National Moot Court Competition. She holds her license to practice in Florida, New York and Vermont.
In addition, Ms. Kirkpatrick is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont, the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York, and the Southern District of Florida, as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd and 11th Circuits. A leader in her field, she has written extensively and conducted numerous lectures and seminars across her region on a variety of legal topics.
She has also served as co-chair for the Vermont Bar Association's Tort Liability Committee, and she maintains active involvements with many other local, state and national legal organizations. These include the Vermont Trial Lawyers Association and the American Association for Justice, the American Immigration Lawyers Association, the American Judicature Society, The Florida Bar and the New York State Bar Association, among others.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - General: Plaintiff, Bankruptcy: Business, Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff, Workers' Compensation: Claimant, Family Law, Immigration: Business
- 20% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 20% Bankruptcy: Business
- 20% Personal Injury - Products: Plaintiff
- 20% Workers' Compensation: Claimant
- 10% Family Law
- 10% Immigration: Business
First Admitted: 1981, Florida
Professional Webpage: https://www.vtlawfirm.com/mary-g-kirkpatrick-vermont-lawyer
- American Judicature Society, Member, 1990 - Present
- American Bar Association, Member, 1992 - Present
- American Immigration Lawyers Association, Member, 1982 - Present
- American Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 1986 - Present
- Florida Bar Association, Member, 1981 - Present
- New York State Bar Association, Member, 1981 - Present
- Vermont Bar Association, Tort Liability Committee, Chair, 1999 - 2000
- Chittenden County Bar Association, Member, 1984 - Present
- Vermont Trial Lawyers Association, Member, 1996 - Present
- Vermont Bar Association, Tort Liability Committee, Co-Chair, 1991 - 1992
- Vermont Bar Association, Tort Liability Committee, Chair, 1990 - 1991
- Vermont Bar Association, Member, 1984 - Present
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 1981
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1982
- U.S. District Court District of Vermont, 1984
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1982
- Vermont, 1984
- New York, 1982
- Florida, 1981
- Super Lawyer, 2015, 2016: Personal Injury-General; Plaintiff Lawyer
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rated Lawyer
- New England Super Lawyers Magazine, 2015, 2016: Personal Injury
- Thurgood Marshall Award, Association of the Bar of the City of New York, April 1998
- Am. Jur. Book Award, Property, 1979
- Osborn v. Osborn, 519 A.2d 1161 (Vt. 1986)
- Board member, Mad River Glen Cooperative (1995-2001). Officer positions included president, vice president and secretary of Ski area cooperative with more than 1200 members. Service has included numerous committee memberships.
- School Board Director, Town of Shelburne, 1998-2003, including former vice-chair. Board member, Chittenden South Supervisory School District Board, 1998 -2003.
- Business Valuation in Family Law (Burlington, VT 1995)
- T. Corrigan and M. Gilmore, The Second Circuit Review-1982-1983 Term: Immigration Law Commentary, Collateral Attacks on Deportation Orders: the Second Circuit Banishes the Ghost of Spector, 50 Brooklyn Law Review (Summer 1984)
- Personal Injury Practice (NBI, 1990, 1988 w/Attorneys Heath, Parker and McCormick)
- Evidence In Trial Practice (NBI, June 1992, w/Attorney Spink)
- Personal Injury (Lorman, 1993, w/Honorable Matthew I. Katz, and Attorneys Luce and Spink)
- Damages in the Significant Personal Injury Case (1994, Moderator, w/Attorneys Manchester, Lamb, Zawistoski, Saxer, Kellner, and Barra)
- Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT, B.A., Cum Laude, English Department Honors; College Scholar; Dean's List each semester; Judicial Council, Chairman, 1977/78, 1978
Office location for Mary G. Kirkpatrick
1233 Shelburne Road
Suite E-1, Lakewood Commons
South Burlington, VT 05403
- Super Lawyers: 2013 - 2015