John E. Coffey
Top Rated Business Litigation Attorney in Alexandria, VA
Jack Coffey has maintained an active civil trial practice in Northern Virginia since 1979 focusing upon general commercial litigation in Virginia and the District of Columbia state and appellate courts, U.S. Federal Courts, and before various alternative dispute resolution panels.
Currently a partner with the Alexandria, Virginia law firm of Redmon, Peyton & Braswell LLP, Mr. Coffey has tried or arbitrated numerous cases in the state, federal and appellate courts of Virginia and the District of Columbia, including the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia (home of the renowned “Rocket Docket”). Among the cases Mr. Coffey has handled are cases involving covenants enforcement, disputes involving banking and real estate transactions, construction disputes, employment disputes, community association disputes legal, medical and nursing home professional liability defense, and environmental litigation.
Mr. Coffey is a former President of the Federal Bar Association's Northern Virginia Chapter, and is a Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America, a trial lawyer honorary society comprised of less than 0.5% of lawyers in the United States.
About John E. Coffey
First Admitted: 1979, Virginia
Professional Webpage: https://rpb-law.com/profiles/john-e-coffey/
- Publications: Coffey, John E., State Laws Vary in Regulation of Teleradiology Execution, Diagnostic Imaging Supplement (December 2007); Coffey, John E., Teleradiology’s Legal Landscape, 13 Advance for Imaging and Oncology Administrators, No. 6 (June 2003); Coffey, John E.; Condo, Kathy K.; Holzheimer , Richard D.; U.S. Supreme Court Provides Guidelines as to Range of Permissible Punitive Damage Awards (Reed Smith Client Bulletin, 05/15/2003); Coffey, John E., Preservation of Evidence: New Focus on Old Issues, 27 VBA News Journal, No. 7 (October 2002); Krebs-Markrich, Julia; Coffey, John E.; Korjus, Jennifer L.W., EMTALA: The Next Generation, 8 The Health Lawyer, No. 2 (Early Spring 1995).
- Reported Decisions: BP Products North America, Inc. v. Stanley, 669 F.3d 184, 2012 WL 453231, (4th Cir. 2012) (Restrictive Covenant Enforcement); Gray v. Inova Health Care Services, 257 Va. 597, 514 S.E.2d 355(1999) (Medical Malpractice Defense); In Re John W. Hanes, Jr.; Caldwell v. Hanes, 214 B.R. 786 (Bky. E.D. Va. 1997) (Legal Malpractice Defense); In the Matter of Baby K, 832 F. Supp. 1022 (E.D. Va. 1993); 16 F.3d 590 (4th Cir. 1994) (Health Care; End of Life Decision-Making); Advanced Resources International, Inc. v. Tri-Star Petroleum Company, 4 F.3d 327 (4th Cir. 1993) (Securities and Lanham Act Claims); Vahabzadeh v. Mooney, 241 Va. 47, 399 S.E.2d 803 (1991) (Breach of Real Estate Contract); Rotonda Condominium Unit Owners Association v. Rotonda Associates, 238 Va. 85, 380 S.E.2d 876 (1989) (Construction; Condominium Warranty Claims); Beacon Hill Farm Associates v. Loudoun County Board of Supervisors, 875 F.2d 1081 (4th Cir. 1989) (Challenge of County Zoning Ordinance); McLean House Condominium Council of Co-Owners v. Maichak, 231 Va. 347, 344 S.E.2d 889 (1986) (Action to void Condominium developer’s assignment of parking spaces); Montgomery v. Columbia Knoll Condominium Council of Co-Owners, 231 Va. 437, 344 S.E.2d 912 (1986) (Control of Condominium Common Elements).
- Bar Admissions: Commonwealth of Virginia (1979), District of Columbia (1992).
- Bar Associations: Virginia Bar Association, District of Columbia Bar Association, Alexandria Bar Association, Federal Bar Association.
- Professional Offices and Activities: 2003-2010 - Officer and Director (President 2008-2009), Federal Bar Association, Northern Va. Chapter; 2004-2012 - Virginia State Bar Fifth District Disciplinary Committee Section I (Chair, 2010-11); 2008-Present - Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
Last Updated: 5/15/2022