Sean P. Schmergel
Top rated Family Law attorney in Alexandria, VirginiaSchmergel & Mersberger, PLC
Practice Areas: Family Law; view more
Licensed in Virginia since: 2001
Education: George Mason University School of Law
Schmergel & Mersberger, PLC100 North Pitt Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-3105 Visit website
Attorney Sean P. Schmergel is a co-founder of the Schmergel & Mersberger, PLC, law firm in Alexandria, Virginia. A resident of Northern Virginia for over 30 years, Mr. Schmergel holds a genuine concern for the legal matters that affect the members of his community, and he devotes his practice to helping families throughout the Northern Virginia jurisdictions of Arlington, Alexandria, Fairfax, Prince William and Loudoun, as well as Washington, D.C., with all of their complex and emotional legal challenges.
Focusing exclusively on family law, Mr. Schmergel has achieved unprecedented success advocating on behalf of the rights and best interests of those he serves who are going through divorce, helping them with their issues involving child custody and support, alimony, property division, and other related matters. He also delivers effective prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, assists with modifications and enforcements, and provides much-needed support for domestic abuse victims seeking protections for themselves and their children.
Experienced in mediation and alternative dispute resoltuion, Mr. Schmergel strives to help his clients resolve their conflicts and reach agreements without the need for costly, drawn-out litigation; however, as a highly rated and seasoned trial attorney, he will not hesitate to fight hard on behalf of his clients in court when necessary. As a father, Mr. Schmergel holds a particular concern for children caught in the divorce process as well as for those in abusive situations, and he serves as guardian ad litem for courts throughout his region.
A 1996 graduate of George Mason University with a Bachelor of Arts in government and politics, Mr. Schmergel returned to his alma mater and attended George Mason University School of Law. He obtained his Juris Doctor in 2000, and the Virginia State Bar admitted him to practice the following year. He is also admitted to practice in Washington, D.C., as well as before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia.
Active in his legal community, he is the past president of the Alexandria Bar Association, and he currently serves on the Virginia State Bar District 4 Section II Disciplinary Committee. He is also a member of the Family Law Sections of the Virginia State Bar and The District of Columbia Bar.
Practice areasFamily Law
Custody & Visitation, Divorce, Domestic Violence
- 100% Family Law
First Admitted: 2001, Virginia
Professional Webpage: https://www.smplclaw.com/attorneys/
- "Rising Star"
- “Super Lawyer” in Virginia and the District of Columbia
- Immediate Past-President, Alexandria Bar Association, 2014-2015
- Admitted, Supreme Court of the United States of America, 2017
- Secretary, Alexandria Bar Association, 2010-2012
- District of Columbia Bar, Member, Family Law Section
- District of Columbia, 2004
- President, Alexandria Bar Association, 2013-2014
- Virginia State Bar, Member, Family Law Section
- Virginia, 2001
- Admitted to practice before The Supreme Court of the United States, 2017
- President-Elect, Alexandria Bar Association, 2012-2013
- Director, Alexandria Bar Association, 2008-2010
- Chair, Virginia State Bar 4th District, Section II Disciplinary Committee, 2018
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia, 2005
- Certified by the Supreme Court of Virginia as a Guardian ad litem for children.
- George Mason University, B.A., Major: Government/Politics, 1996
- Lecturer/presenter, Uncontested Divorce in Virginia, Alexandria Bar Association, 2013
- Lecturer/Presenter, Child Support Modification: What Constitutes a Material Change in Circumstances?, Alexandria Bar Association, 2014
Office location for Sean P. Schmergel
100 North Pitt Street
Alexandria, VA 22314-3105
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2015, 2018 - 2023
- Rising Stars: 2012 - 2014