Edward J. Nuttall, III
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Fairfax, VA
Attorney Edward J. Nuttall, III, is a partner at Carroll & Nuttall, P.C., in Fairfax, Virginia. Mr. Nuttall practices in the areas of family, criminal defense, personal injury and traffic law, serving clients throughout Virginia and the District of Columbia.
Over the course of his career, Mr. Nuttall has earned a reputation as a seasoned trial attorney in both civil and criminal matters. A former prosecutor, he developed his litigation skills through trying numerous misdemeanor, felony and traffic cases. He has extensive knowledge on cases involving police use of force in Virginia and serves as general counsel to the Fraternal Order of Police Fairfax Lodge #77.
Recognized for his contributions to the legal profession, the peer review organization Martindale-Hubbell has given Mr. Nuttall its highest rating of AV Preeminent*. In 2017, he was also named a “top lawyer” by Washingtonian magazine and from 2017 to 2022 in Northern Virginia Magazine.
Mr. Nuttall is active in professional organizations, including the Fairfax Bar Association, the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, the Virginia State Bar, the American Association for Justice and The National Trial Lawyers. He contributes to the Fairfax Law Foundation and a former member of the board of directors of the national advocacy organization Autism Speaks and serves on the group’s community outreach and sponsorship committees.
Mr. Nuttall earned a bachelor’s degree from The Catholic University of America and received his law degree from The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law. He obtained his Virginia law license in 1996 and is qualified to practice before all Virginia state courts and in the District of Columbia, the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About Edward J. Nuttall, III
First Admitted: 1996, Virginia
Professional Webpage: https://www.carrollnuttall.com/attorneys/edward-nuttall/
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, 1996
- Virginia Women Attorneys Association
- National Trial Lawyers Association
- Fairfax Law Foundation, contributor
- 2013-2021 Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys in Virginia, 2020
- Member, Virginia State Bar
- Member, Fairfax Bar Association
- Member, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, American Association for Justice
- The Catholic University of America Columbus School of Law, JD, 1996
- Catholic University, B.A., 1990
Pro bono/Community Service
- Member of the Board of Directors of Autism Speaks National Capital Area, 2015
- Board of Directors, Virginia Autism Project, 2021
- President, The Fraternal Order of Police Associates, Fairfax Lodge 77. The FOPA is a civilian affiliate of the Fraternal Order of Police (FOP). Our members are friends and families of law enforcement Officers, responsible and respected business persons, professional men and women, and citizens from all walks of life—people willing to devote a portion of their time and efforts toward assisting the various law enforcement agencies of our communities, states and nation. The FOPA is part of a national organization known as the Grand Lodge Fraternal Order of Police Associates with local Lodges throughout the nation. The GLFOPA is a non-stock charitable corporation as defined by Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Lodges that are members of the GLFOPA are entitled to share the tax exempt status. Any contributions made to those Lodges are tax exempt. The corporation is a non-partisan organization without regard to race, creed, color or religious belief. The FOPA's interests revolve around law enforcement and the men and women that have dedicated their lives to the protection of ours. The FOPA actively supports legislation, charitable causes, and all law enforcement efforts on a local, state and national level., 2012
- 2017 Top Lawyer Washingtonian Magazine , 2018
- 2013-2020 Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys in Virginia, 2020
- 2014-2017 Top Criminal Defense Lawyer and Personal Injury in Northern Virginia
- , Top Lawyer Northern Virginia Magazine, Northern Virginia Magazine, 2022
- Top 100 Criminal Defense Attorneys in Virginia, American Society of Legal Advocates, 2019
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100, Top 100 Lawyers, National Trial Lawyers Top 100, 2020
- Top Lawyer Washingtonian Magazine, 2018
Last Updated: 5/20/2022