Evan H. Farr
Top Rated Elder Law Attorney in Fairfax, VA
- Free Consultation
In addition to being one of approximately 500 Certified Elder Law Attorneys in the Country, Evan is also a Charter Member of the Academy of Special Needs Planners and one of approximately 100 members of the NAELA Council of Advanced Practitioners, selected for this honor by his fellow practitioners who are members of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys. A 4-time Best-Selling Author in the field of Elder Law and the Estate Planning and Elder Law monthly columnist for The Practical Lawyer, Evan received his undergraduate degree in Psychology from the University of Pennsylvania in 1984 and his law degree from the College of William & Mary in 1987.
Evan is widely recognized as one of the leading Elder Law, Estate Planning, and Specials Needs attorneys in Virginia, DC, and Maryland, and one of the foremost experts in the Country in the field of Medicaid Asset Protection and related Trusts. Evan has written articles for, been quoted by, or cited as an expert by numerous sources, including: the Estate Planning Journal; Estate, Tax and Personal Financial Planning; Trusts & Estates Magazine; the Washington Post; Newsweek Magazine; Northern Virginia Magazine; The American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the American Law Institute, and the American Bar Association, and has been featured as a guest speaker on television and numerous radio shows, including Fairfax County TV Channel 16, WTOP Radio, the TV Show Probate Nation, and Washington Post Radio.
Evan has been named by SuperLawyers.com as one of the top 5% of Elder Law and Estate Planning attorneys in Virginia every year since 2007, and in the Washington, DC Metro Area every year since 2008. Since 2011, Evan has annually been named by Washingtonian Magazine as one of the top attorneys in the DC Metropolitan area, by Northern Virginia Magazine as one of the top attorneys in the Northern Virginia area, Virginia Lawyers Weekly among the “Leaders in the Law”, and by Newsweek Magazine as one of the top attorneys in the country. Evan has also been AV-Rated by Martindale-Hubbell since 2012 and listed in Best Lawyers in America every year since 2013.
Evan is a nationally renowned author and frequent educator of attorneys across the U.S. As an expert to the experts, Evan has educated thousands of attorneys across the country through teaching hundreds of hours of Continuing Legal Education (CLE) courses for attorneys through numerous national and state-level legal organizations such as the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, the American Law Institute-American Bar Association, the National Constitution Center, myLaw CLE, the National Business Institute, the Virginia Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, the Virginia Bar Association, Virginia Continuing Legal Education, and the District of Columbia Bar Association. Click here for a listing of all past and current CLE courses that Evan has taught, and click here for a listing of all the legal treatises and legal journal articles Evan has authored.
His publications include 4 National Best Selling books in the field of Elder Law: How to Protect Your Assets From Probate PLUS Lawsuits PLUS Nursing Home Expenses with the Living Trust Plus®; the Nursing Home Survival Guide, which provides valuable information and guidance to families dealing with the possibility of nursing home care and struggling to make the best decisions for themselves or their loves ones; and Protect & Defend, which Evan authored along with a host of other top attorneys across the country, and his latest book, Protecting Your Assets from Probate and Long-Term Care: Don’t Let the System Bankrupt You and Your Loved Ones. To learn more about all of Evan’s books, click on the button on the right-hand side of the screen labeled, “Evan’s Books.” Evan has also authored dozens of articles that have appeared in the popular press, and numerous scholarly publications for the legal profession, including two legal treatises published by ALI-ABA and now and available through the American Law Institute: Planning and Defending Asset Protection Trusts and Trusts for Senior Citizens.
Evan has served in numerous leadership positions for local and Statewide Bar Associations and Sections, including: President of the Virginia Academy of Elder Law Attorneys; Chair of the Virginia Bar Association Elder Law Section; Chair of the Fairfax Bar Association Elder Law Section; Co-Chair of the Fairfax Bar Association Wills, Trusts & Estates Section; and Founding Chair of the Fairfax Bar Association Law Practice Management Section.
Using a holistic and proprietary approach, Evan Farr and the Farr Law Firm use a vast knowledge, understanding, and deep respect of the elderly to help their elderly clients and their families preserve dignity, quality of life, and financial security, often by protecting assets in order to become eligible for Medicaid and Veterans Aid and Attendance benefits.
- 50%Elder Law
- 50%Estate Planning & Probate
Estate Planning, Guardianships & Conservatorships, Living Wills, Power of Attorney, Probate & Estate Administration, Trusts, Wills
- Super Lawyers: 2007 - 2022
Certificates and Credentials
About Evan H. Farr
First Admitted: 1987, Virginia
Professional Webpage: http://www.farrlawfirm.com/attorney-evan-farr-elder-law-expe...
- Named by SuperLawyers.com as one of the top 5% of Elder Law and Estate Planning attorneys in Virginia every year since 2007, and in the Washington, DC Metro Area every year since 2008, Super Lawyers, SuperLawyers.com
- Named by Newsweek Magazine as one of the Top Attorneys in the country in 2011.
- Top rating for experience and ethics from the original attorney peer-review rating organization., AV-Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Named by Washingtonian Magazine as one of the Top Attorneys in the DC Metropolitan area.
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America
- Named by Northern Virginia Magazine as one of the Top Attorneys in the Northern Virginia area since 2011
- Elder Law Columnist, Golden Gazette Newspaper, Fairfax County, Virginia
- Featured as a Guest Speaker on numerous Television Shows, including Fairfax County Public TV and Probate Nation., Guest Speaker, Guest Speaker
- Evan Farr writes a monthly column on Estate Planning and Elder Law for other attorneys around the country., Columnist, Estate Planning and Elder Law Columnist, The Practical Lawyer Journal, Attorneys
- Featured as a Guest Speaker on numerous Radio Shows, Including Fairfax County TV Channel 16, WTOP Radio, and Washington Post Radio., Guest Speaker, Guest Speaker, Multiple Radio shows
- Author, How to Protect Your Assets From Probate PLUS Lawsuits PLUS Nursing Home Expenses with the Living Trust Plus™, Quality Legal Publications
- Author, Planning and Defending Asset Protection Trusts: Asset Protection for the Middle Class, American Law Institute - American Bar Association, Scholarly Treatise For Attorneys
- Author, Protecting Your Assets from Probate and Long-Term Care: Don't Let the System Bankrupt You and Your Loved Ones, Allworth Press
- Authored the Medicaid Asset Protection Trust Chapter of the book Protect & Defend., Author, Author, America's Leading Attorneys
- Author, Nursing Home Survival Guide, Quality Legal Publications
- Author, Trust for Senior Citizens, American Law Institute - American Bar Association, Scholarly Treatise For Attorneys
- Have written articles appearing in the Sourcebook / Guide to Retirement Living., Author, Guide to Retirement Living, Greater Washington Publishing Inc.
Pro bono/Community Service
- Founder and Chair, ROSE (Reiki Outreach Services for Elders), a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to bringing Reiki to Elders in their communities.
Other Outstanding Achievements
- Been Quoted Or Cited as an Expert by numerous sources, Including The Washington Post, Newsweek Magazine, Northern Virginia Magazine, Trusts & Estates Magazine, The American Institute Of Certified Public Accountants and The American Bar Association
- Charter Member, Academy of Special Needs Planners
- Founding Chair, Fairfax Bar Association Law Practice Management Section
- Past Chair, Virginia Bar Association Elder Law Section
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Member, National Care Planning Council.
- Past President, Virginia Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Past Co-Chair, Fairfax Bar Association Wills Trusts & Estates Section
- Past Chair, Fairfax Bar Association Elder Law Section
- B.A. in Psychology, University of Pennsylvania, 1984
- Law Degree from the College of William & Mary, 1987
- Certified Elder Law Attorney, National Elder Law Foundation, 2006
- Charter Member, Academy of Special Needs Planners, 2006
- Council of Advanced Practitioners, National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, 2012
- Elder Law & Medicaid Asset Protection Planning, Legal; Medicaid; Asset Protection; Estate Planning, 2008
Last Updated: 5/15/2022