John C. Cook
Top rated employment litigation attorney in Fairfax, VirginiaCook Craig & Francuzenko, PLLC
John Cook begins each day with this fundamental thought – what can I do today to make a difference. He learned long ago that the true reward of a service profession is the difference you make in the lives of others. That may be helping a client understand a problem or a contract, negotiating the resolution of a dispute, or handling serious litigation in court. John carried that same sense of purpose through a decade serving as a mediator in the District of Columbia Superior Court and eleven years as a member of the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors. It is the spirit that moves him every day in his practice.
John’s practice emphasizes the representation of executives, employees, and small businesses in employment law matters, including advice and counsel regarding workplace issues and a wide range of other civil litigation matters.
John began his career in the District of Columbia’s Corporation Counsel’s (now Attorney General’s) office. Since then, he has served as a mediator for the District of Columbia Superior Court and as a conciliator for the Fairfax County Circuit Court, has lectured frequently, and has published articles on civil litigation and employment law issues.
John is a recognized leader in the Virginia Employment Law Bar. He is a former member of the Section Council of the Virginia Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Section and is the current co-chair and a former chair of the Fairfax County Bar Association’s Employment Law Section. He is a Fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America (“LCA”) and a member of the National Employment Lawyers’ Association (“NELA”).
John’s colleagues agree he is the go-to person for employees. Based on surveys of active Virginia attorneys, Virginia Business magazine named John one of Virginia’s “Legal Elite” in its December 2004, 2005 and 2006 editions. “Super Lawyer” magazine selected him as a Super Lawyer in 2006 and 2007, as well as 2011-2020. John was named to the Washington Post’s “Top Attorneys” list in the D.C. Metropolitan Area for 2013 and 2014, and to Northern Virginia Magazine’s “Top Attorney” list in 2016. John has carried the coveted “AV” rating from MartindaleHubbell © for over 20 years. John has lectured frequently and published articles on civil litigation and employment law issues.
In addition to his law practice with the firm, John served for over a decade on the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, where he chaired the Board’s Public Safety Committee. He also served on the Virginia Railway Express (VRE) Operations Board, which he chaired in 2015; the Northern Virginia Regional Commission, where he served as Treasurer; and the Northern Virginia Transportation Commission, where he chaired the Governance Committee.
Practice areasEmployment litigation: plaintiff, Employment & labor: employee, Business litigation
Employment law - employee, Wage & hour laws, Sexual harassment, Trade secret, Non-compete agreements
- 40% Employment litigation: plaintiff
- 40% Employment & labor: employee
- 20% Business litigation
First Admitted: 1989, New York
Professional Webpage: https://cookcraig.com/john-c-cook/
- Frequent Lecturer and Published Articles on Civil Litigation and Employment Law Issues
- Gettysburg College, B.A., Magna Cum Laude, Member, Phi Beta Kappa
- Northern Virginia Transportation Commission
- Northern Virginia Regional Commission
- Executive Board, Virginia Railway Express (VRE) Operations Board
- Member, District of Columbia State Bar
- Member, Virginia State Bar
- Former Chair, Fairfax County Bar Association's Employment Law Section
- Member, New York State Bar
- Section Council, Virginia Bar Association's Labor and Employment Law Section
- , "Top Attorneys" List , Northern Virginia Magazine, 2020
- , "Top Attorneys" List in Employment (Employees), Arlington Magazine, 2019
- , "Top Attorneys" List, Northern Virginia Magazine, 2016
- , "Top Attorneys" List in the DC Metropolitan Area, Washington Post, 2014
- , "Top Attorneys" List in the DC Metropolitan Area, Washington Post, 2013
- , Virginia's "Legal Elite" List, Virginia Business Magazine, 2006
- , Virginia's "Legal Elite" List, Virginia Business Magazine, 2005
- Virginia's "Legal Elite" List, Virginia Business Magazine, 2004
Office location for John C. Cook
3050 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, VA 22030
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2007, 2011 - 2023