John E. Byrnes
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Fairfax, VA
Attorney John E. Byrnes is a partner with Kelly Byrnes & Danker, PLLC, law firm, which has law offices in Fairfax and Leesburg, Virginia. Recognized as a top attorney in his region as well as the entire country, Mr. Byrnes has more than 25 years of total legal experience, and he provides exceptional counsel and support to clients throughout Fairfax and across northern Virginia who are going through a divorce or have some other serious legal issue affecting their families.
Over the course of his legal career, Mr. Byrnes has assisted hundreds of clients with making the best-informed decisions regarding child custody and support, property division and all other matters related to their divorces. Devoted to helping his clients resolve their conflicts and reach favorable agreements outside the courtroom, he prefers to use negotiation and mediation; however, he will not hesitate to take his clients' matters to court when necessary.
Mr. Byrnes has extensive experience handling family law matters before Virginia's state, federal and appellate courts. At all turns, he delivers candid advice and trustworthy counsel while aggressively pursuing the positive results his clients seek that are in line with their specific goals and wishes. Honored for his outstanding professionalism and service, he has received designation as a Top Divorce and Family Lawyer in the northern Virginia area from Northern Virginia Magazine and ranked among the Top 30 Matrimonial and Family Law Attorneys by The National Advocates.
A 1989 graduate of the University of California, Berkeley, Mr. Byrnes obtained his Juris Doctor from George Mason University School of Law in 1995, where he was a member of the Dean's Scholar Program as well as lead articles editor for the George Mason University Independent Law Review.
Highly active in his legal community, Mr. Byrnes has served as chairperson for the Virginia State Bar's 5th District Disciplinary Committee, and he is past chair of the Fairfax Bar Association's Membership Committee. He is also a member of the Virginia State Bar Judicial Candidate Evaluation Committee and the Virginia State Bar Mid-Year Seminar Committee as well as the Fairfax Bar Association and Loudoun Bar Association. He has also contributed to the Annual Supplement for the Virginia Domestic Relations Handbook.
- 100%Family Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Juvenile Law, Name Change, Paternity, Prenuptial Agreements, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Same Sex Family Law
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2022
About John E. Byrnes
First Admitted: 1995, Virginia
Professional Webpage: https://www.kbdfamilylaw.com/attorney/john-e-byrnes/
- Loudoun Bar Association, Member
- Virginia State Bar, Member
- Virginia, 1995
- Virginia State Bar Mid-Year Seminar Committee
- During my career, I have served on the Virginia State Bar 5th District Disciplinary Committee, including serving as the committee chair, and the Judicial Evaluation Candidate Committee. I have also served on various committees of the Fairfax Bar Association, including the Membership Committee, the CLE Committee, and the Circuit Court Committee.
- December 2018 Northern Virginia Magazine as a Top Divorce and Family Lawyer in the Northern Virginia area
- National Advocates Top 30 Matrimonial and Family Law Attorney
- University of California (Berkeley), Berkeley, California, B.A., Bachelor of Arts, Major: English, 05/1989
- I author for the annual updates to Virginia Domestic Relations Handbook.
- Lead Articles Editor for the George Mason University Independent Law Review
Pro bono/Community Service
- Over my career, I have participated in various pro bono activies including domestic violence protective orders and uncontested divorce filings for qualified candidates through programs with the Fairfax Bar Association. I regularly participate in the annual Best Buddies Walk in Washington, DC.
- I represent both men and women who are in need of a prenuptial agreement, have questions about divorce and marital dissoultion, or are seeking a divorce.
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
Last Updated: 5/15/2022