Laura M. O'Brien
Top rated Family Law attorney in Fairfax, VirginiaKelly Byrnes & Danker, PLLC
Laura M. O’Brien has focused her practice on family law matters during her entire legal career. She has been an attorney at Kelly Byrnes & Danker, PLLC, since November 2011, and she represents clients throughout the northern part of Virginia from the firm’s offices in Fairfax and Leesburg.
As an undergraduate, Ms. O’Brien attended Rhodes College in Memphis, Tennessee, and she majored in political science and obtained a Bachelor of Arts magna cum laude in 2003. Upon her graduation, she was inducted into The Phi Beta Kappa Society. Ms. O’Brien subsequently then went on to pursue her legal education at what was then known as the George Mason University School of Law, and she served internships with the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia and the Office of the Fairfax Commonwealth's Attorney, and was a member of the George Mason Law Review Editorial Board before being awarded her Juris Doctor cum laude in 2010.
A large part of Ms. O’Brien’s client base is made up of people whose marriages have come to an end. She assists them on such divorce-related legal matters as the equitable distribution of marital assets and debts, spousal and child support, and child custody and visitation rights. Ms. O’Brien often takes a lead role in negotiating a settlement agreement that covers these issues, but when that is not possible and litigation proves to be necessary, she is a forceful courtroom advocate on their behalf.
Ms. O’Brien has received several honors for her pro bono activities, including the Chief Justice Harry Carrico Pro Bono Attorney of the Year Award in 2016 from Legal Services of Northern Virginia. She previously served on the Board of the Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers' Conference, from which she received a Significant Service Award in 2014 and 2018. Admitted to practice in Virginia, she is a member of the Fairfax Bar Association, Loudoun Bar Association, and other professional organizations. She currently serves as the co-Chairperson of the Fairfax Circuit Court Committee.
Practice areasFamily Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Father's Rights, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Name Change, Prenuptial Agreements
- 100% Family Law
First Admitted: 2010, Virginia
Professional Webpage: https://www.kbdfamilylaw.com/attorney/laura-m-o-brien/
- Board of Editors, George Mason Law Review, George Mason University School of Law, May 2010
- Rhodes College, Memphis, Tennessee, Bachelor of Arts, Major: Political Science, Honors: Magna Cum Laude, Honors: Phi Beta Kappa, 05/2003, 2003
- Color of Justice Program Mock Trial Volunteer, serving as a witness and mentor to middle school students The Color of Justice event is hosted by the Fairfax Bar Association and co-sponsors, Hispanic Bar Association of Virginia, Northern Virginia Black Attorney's Association, and Virginia Women Attorney's Association. The event includes: Mock Trial - During the program student participants will have the chance to play the role of a juror in a mock trial presented at the Fairfax Circuit Court by real attorneys and judges. After reaching a verdict, the student jurors will share their observations in small groups and listen to a panel of judge discuss the trial. These activities provide an exclusive opportunity for students to learn about the challenges and rewards of a career in law. After sharing their conclusions and hearing from guest speakers, students will have a chance to discuss the day's proceedings with attorneys and judges over a complimentary lunch., 2019
- Loudoun County Leadership in the Law Camp
- Volunteer, Legal Services of Northern Virginia, obtaining uncontested divorces pro bono to indigent clients
- Volunteer, Legal Services of Northern Virginia Attorney of the Day Program, representing victims of domestic violence in Fairfax J&DR Court to obtain protective orders
- Virginia State Bar Special Committee on Access to Legal Services Webinar Presenter
- , Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2020
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers, 2019
- Student Member, George Mason American Inns of Court
- Awarded to attorneys who dedicate at least 40 hours per year to pro bono work over two consecutive years, Silver Member of Legal Services of Northern Virginia's Rule 6.1 Society, Legal Services of Northern Virginia, 2017
- Awarded to attorneys who dedicate at least 40 hours per year to pro bono work for three (3) consecutive years, Gold Member of Legal Services of Northern Virginia's Rule 6.1 Society, Legal Services of Northern Virginia, 2018
- Significant Service Award, Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers Conference, 2014
- Awarded to attorneys who dedicate at least 40 hours per year to pro bono work, Bronze Member of Legal Services of Northern Virginia's Rule 6.1 Society, Legal Service of Northern Virginia, 2016
- Pro Bono Attorney of the Year, Legal Services of Northern Virginia, 2016
- Secretary, Fairfax Circuit Court Committee, 2021
- Member, Steering Committee of the Attorney of the Day Program, Fairfax Juvenile & Domestic Relations District Court
- Loudoun Bar Association, Member
- Chief Justice Harry L. Carrico Pro Bono Attorney of the Year, awarded by Legal Services of Northern Virginia to three (3) attorneys each year, 2016
- Fairfax Bar Association, Member
- Virginia State Bar – Young Lawyers Conference, Board of Governors, Former Member, 2018
- Virginia State Bar, Member
- Volunteer, Pro Bono counsel, Legal Services of Northern Virginia Attorney of the Day Program I represent indigent clients who are the victims of domestic violence obtain protective orders.
- Bronze, Silver, and Gold Member of Legal Services of Northern Virginia's Rule 6.1 society, awarded to exceptional pro bono attorneys
- Board Member, Virginia State Bar Young Lawyers Conference
Office location for Laura M. O'Brien
3975 Fair Ridge Drive
Fairfax, VA 22033
- Rising Stars: 2019 - 2020