Leonard A. Bennett
Top rated Consumer Law attorney in Newport News, VirginiaConsumer Litigation Associates, PC
Practice Areas: Consumer Law, Class Action & Mass Torts, Civil Litigation
Licensed in Virginia since: 1994
Education: George Mason University School of Law
The founding partner of Consumer Litigation Associates, Leonard A. Bennett represents clients across the nation from his Virginia-based law firm. He focuses his legal practice on consumer law, particularly credit reporting, identity theft, and background check consumer protection matters, and litigates class action lawsuits and plaintiffs' civil litigation matters.
Mr. Bennett earned his Bachelor of Arts from George Mason University in 1989. He then received his Juris Doctor from what was then known as George Mason University School of Law in 1994 and was admitted to practice law before the state courts of Virginia and North Carolina. He is admitted to practice law before numerous federal district courts across the nation and before the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the 3rd, 4th, 6th, 9th, and 11th Circuits. Mr. Bennett is also admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of the United States.
Over his 28 year career as an attorney, Mr. Bennett has earned an excellent reputation as a strong advocate for his clients. He has received multiple awards and honors and has been named 2017's Consumer Lawyer of the Year by the National Association of Consumer Advocates. The firm he leads was twice selected as the top Financial Services Plaintiff's firm (in 2019 and 2020) and in 2019 as the top Pro Bono firm in Virginia. Mr. Bennett was invited to testify before the U.S. House Committee on Financial Services in 2003, 2007 and 2008. Mr. Bennett's work has included representing individual and class plaintiffs in numerous actions across the U.S. He has litigated well over a thousand complex consumer cases in federal courts across the country.
Mr. Bennett serves on the board of Public Justice and the Partners Council of the National Consumer Law Center, and Advisory Board of the Virginia Poverty Law Center. He we formerly on the board of the National Association of Consumer Advocates. He is also a peer-selected member of the American College of Consumer Financial Services Lawyers, a Fellow of both the Litigation Counsel of America hand the Virginia Law Foundation.
Mr. Bennett as been quoted in multiple national media sources, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, Kiplinger, USA Today and others. Mr. Bennett is a member of the Williamsburg Society of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association and is a frequently invited speaker at the National Consumer Law Center and the National Association of Consumer Advocates.
First Admitted: 1994, Virginia
Professional Webpage: https://www.clalegal.com/teams/leonard-a-bennett/
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Virginia State Bar, 1994
- 3rd, 4th, 6th, 9th, 11th Circuit Courts of Appeals
- North Carolina State Bar, 1995
- George Mason University, School of Business, B.S. Finance, 1989
- Co-Recipient, Pro Bono Law Firm of the Year, Frankie Muse Freeman Organizational Pro Bono Award, Virginia State Bar, 2019
- , Member, The American College of Consumer Financial Services Lawyers
- , Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- , Fellow, Virginia Law Foundation
- Virginia Super Lawyers, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013
- Top Plaintiffs' Firm in the Nation, Financial Services Litigation, Elite Trial Lawyers, Financial Services Litigation, National Law Journal, 2020
- Top Consumer Lawyer in the Nation, Consumer Lawyer of the Year, National Association of Consumer Advocates, 2017
- Top 500 Plaintiffs Attorneys, Nation, www.LawDragon.com
- Top Plaintiffs' Firm, Financial Services Litigation, Elite Trial Lawyers, Financial Services Litigation, National Law Journal, 2019
- Virginia Leaders of the Law, Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2009
- Youth Volunteer Corp. of Hampton Roads, Board of Directors, 2020
- National Consumer Law Center, Partners Council, 2020
- Public Justice, Board of Directors, 2020
- Virginia Living Museum, Board of Directors, 2020
- Hampton Roads Refugee Relief, Board of Directors, 2020
- Virginia Poverty Law Center, Advisory Member Board of Directors
- Leading treatise covering the Fair Credit Reporting Act., Contributing Author, Fair Credit Reporting, National Consumer Law Center, 2022
- Financial Services and Consumer Protection
- Super Lawyers: 2010 - 2024