James G. Jim Hurley, Jr.
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Norfolk, VA
- Free Consultation
Jim Hurley is a founding partner of Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers based in Norfolk, Virginia. He focuses exclusively on personal injury matters, representing people injured in Norfolk, Suffolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, the Eastern Shore of Virginia and across Virginia as a whole.
Jim Hurley’s main areas of practice are car, truck, and motorcycle accidents as well as wrongful death cases. Over his career, Jim Hurley has tried more than 100 cases and has obtained several verdicts and settlements for his clients in excess of $1 million.
After graduating from the University of Arizona with a Bachelor of Arts, Jim Hurley attended Thomas M. Cooley Law School, where he received his Juris Doctor in 1990. He was admitted to practice before state courts in Virginia and Florida. He was also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia. Jim Hurley is highly regarded by his peers. He has received an AV-Preeminent* rating from Martindale-Hubbell and an "Excellent" rating from Avvo. He is recognized by Virginia Super Lawyers.
Jim Hurley set up Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers with John Cooper in 2011. The firm has grown rapidly but retained its local roots and its determination to treat its clients ‘like family’ in contrast to the big factory personal injury firms.
Jim Hurley helped secure a $5 million settlement reached during mediation of a construction truck accident and a $3.5 million settlement of a wrongful death action involving a motor vehicle accident. These results and others have earned him a membership in the invitation-only Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Jim Hurley is listed in The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100. He continues to stay abreast of developments in his field through his active participation in several professional organizations. He is a member of the Virginia Beach and Norfolk & Portsmouth bar associations. He is a member of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association and the American Association for Justice.
*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories: legal ability and general ethical standards.
About James G. Jim Hurley, Jr.
First Admitted: 1990, Virginia
Professional Webpage: http://www.cooperhurley.com/firm-overview/jim-hurley/
- B.A., University of Arizona, 1982, 1982
- J.D., Thomas M. Cooley Law School, 1990, 1990
- Avvo Client Review - After I was struck by a drunk driver, I was unsure of what I needed to do. I was pregnant, injured, and overwhelmed by the insurance companies. I called Jim Hurley, and he took so much of the stress away. Mr. Hurley’s team handled every part of my case, and got me a settlement I couldn’t have gotten on my own., 2020
- Avvo Client Review - Mr Hurley is by far the best Attorney. His staff, Tara, is amazing and very knowledgeable. I was t-boned when a girl ran a red light pushing my car in two feet. I injured my knee and my daughter received some bruises and anxiety. Mr Hurley’s staff came to Richmond to help me. The other person’s insurance company was being very pushy and rude, Tara took care of him no problem! She is amazing at what she does. Mr Hurley and his staff took care of the situation so my daughter and I were able to recover in peace. I am so very very thankful to have found him. I am confident that if you are ever in an accident, Mr. Hurley should be the attorney to contact., 2020
- Portsmouth motorcycle rider t-boned and suffered broken femur, ankle, ribs, and collar bone awarded $100,000 settlement. , 2020
- Client that suffered collapsed lung, fractured sternum, ribs, and other serious injuries awarded $100,000 settlement. , 2019
- Virginia Beach driver that suffered broken wrist bone and displacement awarded $180,000, 2019
- 2014 - Present, Motor Vehicle Trial Lawyers Association, 2014
- Present, Virginia Beach Bar Association
- Present, Norfolk Portsmouth Bar Association
- Present, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- 1998 - Present, Florida State Bar, 1998
- 1990, Virginia State Bar, 1990
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia
- American Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- For our "Car Accident FAQs by Kids" series Jim Hurley answers Christian's question, "Do lawyers charge a fee when they help me out after I've been injured in an auto accident?", Car Accident FAQs by Kids, 2020
- There are terrible drivers out there on the road. Every single day, every single week, people are driving, they're talking on their cell phones, they're looking at texts, they're not paying attention. What happens? Boom! Car wreck. Here at Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers, that's what we do- we help people that have been in car wrecks through no fault of their own. And we deal with everything- the initial investigation, we take care of. Dealing with the other person's insurance company- we take care of. Handling all aspects of the case- we take care of. We do that because we want you to get better. We want you to focus on going to the doctor's, going to physical therapy, making yourself feel better from the injuries you've suffered. At Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers, that's what we do, we take care of all the legal aspects of your case so we can help you at the end of the day, and then you can focus on what's really important- your health. So please, give us a call, contact us, let us help you., Car Accidents , 2019
- What to do after a Virginia car accident, Car Accidents in Virginia, 2018
- Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers partners talk about the firm., Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers TV Commercial, 2018
- Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers partner Jim Hurley talks about his background., Introducing Jim Hurley, 2018
- When other drivers cause motorcyclist injuries, Motorcycle Accidents in Virginia, 2018
- Three Things to Do if You Are Hurt in a Virginia Car Wreck, 2015
- Picnic for Clients on the Eastern Shore of Virginia, 2015
- Jim Hurley Talks About Client Hurt in Car Wreck, 2013
- Jim Hurley Talks About Drunk Drivers, 2013
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs) are devastating, yet insurance companies fight hard against TBI claims. John wrote the book on traumatic brain injuries to give victims and their families valuable insight on how these complex cases are proved and won., Co-Author, The Traumatic Brain Injury Toolkit: Everything a Client Needs to Know After Suffering a Traumatic Brain Injury, 2021
- This is the fourth edition of The Best Book about Virginia Car Accidents and Injuries written by partners John Cooper, Jim Hurley, Bill O'Mara and Griff O'Hanlon, Author, The Best Book About Virginia Car Accidents and Injuries, 4th Edition , 2019
- What You Need to Know About Motorcycle Accidents in Virginia is a guide to motorcycle law and your rights if you are hurt as a motorcycist., Author, What You Need to Know About Motorcycle Accidents in Virginia, 2015
- The Best Book About Virginia Trucking Accidents was written by Jim Hurley and John Cooper. It's a pocket guide to your rights if you are hurt in a trucking crash and the laws as pertaining to truckers., Author, The Best Book About Virginia Trucking Accidents, 2013
- Co-written with John Cooper The Best Book About Virginia Car Accidents and Injuries is a comprehensive guide to what to do if you are hurt in a car crash in Virginia., Author, The Best Book About Virginia Car Accidents and Injuries, 2013
- $1 million settlement - Callers father's car broke down; tow truck was called; he was hooking car up to tow truck when defendant struck rear of his vehicle causing caller's head to be smashed between car and tow truck. Worked with Bill O'mara on case., 2021
- $210,000 settlement - Defendant driving a moving truck made a left turn from the middle lane and collided with the driver’s side of Plaintiff’s car., 2021
- $100,000 settlement - Plaintiff was traveling southbound on Hampton Blvd in the right lane and noted that another vehicle swiftly and without notice entered his lane of travel. As a result, the plaintiff had no choice but to brake and swerve to avoid a significant impact with the “John Doe.” The quick maneuver forced the plaintiff from the roadway and into a telephone pole causing a catastrophic impact. , 2020
- $100,000 settlement - Client sustained broken neck and fractured spine. , 2021
- $145,000.00 settlement. Plaintiff riding her bike in the neighborhood she lives in, someone pulling out of their driveway hit her. Suffered facial fractures and injury to her knee that required stiches. She had to have two surgeries to fix the fractures to her orbital bones., 2019
- $185,000 settlement. Wife riding on the back of a motorcycle with husband, when another vehicle pulled out in front of them causing accident. Suffered dislocated ankle, broken tibia, fibula and clavicle. This tragic accident happened while they were in the Hampton Roads area visiting from Delaware., 2019
- $160,000 settlement. Husband driving a motorcycle with wife riding on back when another vehicle pulled out in front of them, causing accident. Suffered internal bleeding from a hematoma and broken ribs. This tragic accident happened while they were in the Hampton Roads area visiting from Delaware., 2019
- Settled for $500,000. An Active Duty Military riding on his motorcycle when a pick-up truck cut him off, causing a bad accident that left him permanently injured. Broken neck and nerve damage to his arm, had to have several surgeries., 2018
- $758,000 settlement. Tractor trailer rear-ended the vehicle which the plaintiff was a passenger in, causing her death and very serious injuries to other family in the vehicle. They were on their way to a baby shower., 2018
- The Plaintiff was traveling home when he struck a pick-up truck that attempted a left turn into his path. The Plaintiff suffered a serious shoulder and brachial plexus nerve injury resulting in a significant loss of function to his right arm. The case settled for $500,000., 2018
- Driver who suffered a mild traumatic brain injury when he was rear-ended by a dump truck in Virginia Beach, was awarded $350,000., 2016
- A tow truck driver who received injuries including brain injuries when he was hit by a drunken driver in Newport News was awarded $895,000 at mediation., 2016
- A van driver was hit by the driver of a box truck in Hampton Roads and was killed. John Cooper represented the van driver's family in a wrongful death case against the trucking company and secured $1.5 million at mediation., 2014
- A woman from Hampton, Virginia suffered multiple serious injuries when her car was hit by a construction truck in Gloucester County. Her injuries include broken ribs, a lacerated liver and spleen, a hip fracture, a fractured pelvis.Outcome - a $5 million settlement , 2012, 2012
Pro bono/Community Service
- Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers Focused Driver Scholarship Program - Donated $8,000 combined to deserving students for their college education in Hampton Roads and nationally., 2021
- Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers Distracted Awareness Driving Scholarship program donates $10,000 to deserving students for their college education., 2020
- Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers is a consistent supporter of Legal Aid Society of Eastern Virginia. We were happy to make a donation to LASEVA. Cooper Hurley partner Jim Hurley and attorney Kevin Briggs attended the Norfolk Portsmouth Bar Association fundraiser for the Legal Aid Society of Eastern Virginia on Sept. 20., 2019
- Top Lawyers of Coastal Virginia , Coastal Virginia Magazine, 2022
- Recognized by CoVa Magazine for personal injury and legacy., Top Lawyers of Coastal Virginia, CoVa Biz Magazine, 2021
- , Lawyers of Distinction - Personal Injury Law, Lawyers of Distinction, 2021
- This awards program recognizes the lawyers across the commonwealth who are setting the standard for other Virginia lawyers. “Leaders” are recognized for changing the law, serving the community, changing practice or improving Virginia’s justice system, among other accomplishments., Leader in the Law, Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2020
- Recognized by CoVa Magazine for personal injury., Top Lawyers of Coastal Virginia, CoVa Biz Magazine, 2020
- 2019 - Present, CoVa BIZ’s Top Lawyers peer-to-peer survey conducts polls in the legal field to identify the attorneys who exemplify excellence in their various fields. Cova Biz lists the top rated legal professionals in the Coastal Virginia area., Top Lawyers of Coastal Virginia , CoVa Biz Magazine, 2019
- AV Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®: Attorney reputation assessment system, showing the highest level of skill and ethics, AV Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, Martindale-Hubbell, 2019
- The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 is an invitation-only organization composed of the premier trial lawyers from each state or region who meet stringent qualifications as civil plaintiff and/or criminal defense trial lawyers. Selection is based on a thorough multi-phase objective and uniformly applied process which includes peer nominations combined with third-party research. Membership is extended only to the select few of the most qualified attorneys from each state or region who demonstrate superior qualifications of leadership, reputation, influence, stature and public profile measured by objective and uniformly applied standards in compliance with state bar and national Rule 4-7., The National Trial Lawyers - Top 100, National Trial Lawyers, 2019
- 2014 - Present, Super Lawyer, Super Lawyer, 2014
Last Updated: 1/18/2022