Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Norfolk, VA
- Free Consultation
John Baker joined Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers in early 2018. He was born and raised in Norfolk and graduated from Norfolk Collegiate School.
After high school, John attended Hampden-Sydney College, where he was a Venable Scholar and graduated cum laude in 2006. John represented his class in the Student Senate each year at Hampden-Sydney, and he served as its chairman during his senior year. John also received the James Madison Public Service Certificate and was a member of the Society of 1791, Hampden-Sydney’s leadership organization.
John attended the University of Mississippi School of Law, where he was a member of Phi Delta Phi, and graduated cum laude in 2010. John met his wife, Kate, at Ole Miss. She is also an attorney and works as a lobbyist for the Virginia Retail Federation.
After passing the bar exam in 2010, John worked for a local insurance defense firm for seven years. He appeared in courts all over the Commonwealth of Virginia and represented a number of insurance companies during this time.
John has been selected as a Rising Star by Virginia Super Lawyers since 2015 and was honored by his peers as a 2022 Top Lawyer by Coastal Virginia Magazine and CoVaBIZ. He is a former member of the James Kent American Inn of Court. John and his partners at Cooper Hurley Injury Lawyers regularly teach continuing legal education (CLE) courses on civil litigation and personal injury practice.
John is heavily involved in the Hampton Roads community. He served as President of the Virginia Club from 2020-2022. He attends Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church, is a member of the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Virginia, and served on the Norfolk Collegiate Alumni Board from 2011 to 2016. When he is not working, John enjoys spending time with Kate and their son and daughter, running, playing squash, and boating.
About John Baker
First Admitted: 2010, Virginia
Professional Webpage: https://cooperhurley.com/our-attorneys/john-baker/
- University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D., 2010
- Hampden-Sydney College, BA - Bachelor of Arts, 2006
- Facebook Client Review - I must say Cooper and Hurley is by far the best in town. Kevin Briggs & John Baker are extremely knowledgeable, informative and know what they are doing hands down. I love how they arent afraid to go above and beyond for you. Niya is also phenomenal and very helpful even when she’s the most busiest she stops whatever she is doing and helps in the time of need. The communication that they keep with their clients is beyond superb and I would highly recommend Cooper and Hurley and if I happen to need a lawyer in the future I will glady return. I would give them 10 stars if I could., 2019
- Avvo Client Review - My experience with John was quite pleasant. His knowledge of the laws and applicable rules was apparent. He fought hard to get me the best result. I would recommend him for any personal injury case!, 2019
Pro bono/Community Service
- Fleet Park Little League, T-Ball Asst. Coach (Spring, 2019), 2019
- 2020 - Present, Virginia Club, President, 2020
- Coordinator/Presenter at the VBBA CLE on “Personal Injury Practice From the Plaintiff’s and Defense’s Perspective,” September 2019 (Topic: Ethics), 2019
- 2019 - Present, Virginia State Bar, 2019
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, 2019
- Norfolk and Portsmouth Bar Association, 2019
- Presenter at NBI “Personal Injury Bootcamp,” September, 2018 (Topic: Ethics), 2018
- $125,000 (policy limits) - Client suffered career-ending injuries, 2021
- $130,000 settlement - Client sustained a shoulder injury requiring surgery., 2021
- $100,000 settlement - Client sustained serious injuries in lawsuit where liability was hotly contested., 2021
- $325,000 settlement - A truck driver was taking a break in his cab in a parking lot. Another truck backing into a spot hit the plaintiff’s truck and knocked him over in his cab. The fall resulted in an a left knee injury that required surgery and took the plaintiff out of work for nearly a year. The insurance company did not make any settlement offers, so a lawsuit had to be filed. We were able to settle the case for the $325,000.00., 2020
- $100,000 jury verdict - Single mother was rear-ended on the interstate on her way home from work and injured her back. For nearly 3 years, the defendant denied that he did anything wrong. The insurance company said the plaintiff wasn’t even injured that bad, even going as far to hire a doctor to say so. The case went to trial, and the jury awarded the plaintiff $100,000.00. The pretrial offer by the insurance company had only been $33,240.00., 2019
- $400,000 settlement - Plaintiff's leg was shattered when he was tripped by unsafe walking conditions in the strip between the sidewalk and the curb in front of a new home for sale. Plaintiff, a 75-year-old, and his wife were in Hampton Roads, Virginia attending an open house when he was caused to trip and fall due to improperly secured straw matting used for erosion control. Plaintiff suffered multiple fractures of the femur and knee, requiring three operations and permanent hardware. As a result of the injury, plaintiff lost two years of his life. The builder/owner of the new house fought liability strenuously. Experts disagreed about whether the straw matting was properly installed. Contributory negligence and assumption arguments were problems for the plaintiff. Even proof of the exact mechanism of injury and condition of the matting was in controversy. Finally, the defense orthopedic surgeon claimed that the second and third surgeries were caused by an event where the plaintiff banged his foot, not the original trip., 2019
- $400,000 settlement - Plaintiff suffered serious orthopedic injuries when he was struck by a careless box truck driver who ran a red light and broadsided plaintiff. The defendant was forced to admit fault because two independent witnesses confirmed it. Plaintiff offered expert testimony about future medicals and lost wages which were hotly contested as speculative., 2019
- $180,000 verdict - A T-bone accident that shattered the plaintiff's wrist., 2019
- $500,000 settlement - The Plaintiff was traveling home when he struck a pick-up truck that attempted a left turn into his path. The Plaintiff suffered a serious shoulder and brachial plexus nerve injury resulting in a significant loss of function to his right arm., 2018
- $1,200,000 settlement - We represented a high school junior that was rear ended by a business owner driving a company vehicle that failed to brake. Our client suffered extensive injuries that resulted in her missing a semester of her junior year and the chance of playing collegiate softball. The case settled in mediation 2 months before trial for 1,200,000., 2018
- Imagine getting into a car wreck that wasn’t your fault, getting injured in that car wreck, and racking up over $30,000 in medical bills JUST to have the car insurance company say that you’re not telling the truth about the severity of your injuries. This is exactly what happened to our client. John Baker, the attorney who took our client's case to court and led her to a $100,000 jury-awarded settlement, is going to share her story with you here., What Happens When a Car Accident Case Goes to Court? (With a Real $100,000 Case Study), Personal Injury, 2021
- Norfolk injury attorney John Baker talks about his background., Meet John Baker, 2018
- Hampton Roads is surrounded by water. John Baker talks about boating accidents., Boating Accidents in Virginia, 2018
Other Outstanding Achievements
- After the Accident : Podcast Episode 4 - What Happens When a Car Accident Case Goes to Court? Imagine getting into a car wreck that wasn’t your fault, getting injured in that car wreck, and racking up over $30,000 in medical bills JUST to have the car insurance company say that you’re not telling the truth about the severity of your injuries. This is exactly what happened to our client. John Baker, the attorney who took our client's case to court and led her to a $100,000 jury-awarded settlement, is going to share her story with you now. Take a listen. , 2021
- , Top Lawyers of Coastal Virginia, Coastal Virginia Magazine, 2022
- This awards program recognizes lawyers across the commonwealth who are making their mark within their first 10 years of practice. These are the lawyers who are the leaders of the profession in the future., Up & Coming Lawyer, Virginia Lawyers Weekly, 2020
- 2015 - Present, Super Lawyers, Rising Star , Rising Star, 2015
Last Updated: 8/27/2022