Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Oakton, VA
Samuel Leven is an attorney with The Baldwin Law Firm LLC in Oakton, Virginia. Nationally ranked as among the top attorneys in his region, Mr. Leven has more than 10 years of total legal experience, and he provides unmatched representation to clients throughout northern Virginia who have legal needs involving any of the following:
· Family law and divorce
· Estate planning and probate
Over the course of his legal career, Mr. Leven has achieved considerable success assisting and guiding his clients through the divorce process while helping them achieve their goals and the favorable outcomes they seek as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible. He has extensive experience handling same-sex domestic relations issues, and he has also successfully handled a number of appeals to help his clients challenge previous rulings regarding their cases and obtain the positive results they expect and deserve.
Honored for his outstanding professionalism and service, Mr. Leven has earned a Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished* peer review rating as well as the organization's Gold Client Champion award each year since 2013. He has also received "Superb" client ratings on Avvo along with numerous testimonials and referrals from those he has served.
A 2007 graduate of the University of Virginia College of Arts & Sciences with degrees in government and history, Mr. Leven obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of Virginia School of Law. In law school, he served as trial counsel to students facing expulsion or other serious consequences due to their violating the school's honor code, and he worked in school-sponsored clinics, where he advocated on behalf of death row inmates in post-conviction processes and during appeals.
Mr. Leven holds his license to practice in Virginia and the District of Columbia, and he is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit and the U.S. Supreme Court.
In 2017, the Virginia State Bar Council elected him to serve on the Fifth District Committee, Section III, and he is a current member of the Fairfax County Bar Association's board of directors. He also serves on many of the organization's committees, and he is an active member of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, among his other professional affiliations. Drawing upon his in-depth legal knowledge, he also writes extensively and conducts lectures and continuing legal education seminars across his region on a variety of legal topics.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About Samuel Leven
First Admitted: 2010, Virginia
Professional Webpage: http://thebaldwinlawfirm.com/about-our-firm/meet-our-attorne...
- Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Member, Fairfax Bar Association
- Member, Domestic Relations Sub-Committee, Circuit Court Committee, Fairfax Bar Association
- Member, Virginia State Bar (Admitted 2010)
- Member, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Chair, Legislative Committee, Fairfax Bar Association
- Motion Conciliator, Fairfax Bar Association
- Member, United States Supreme Court Bar (Admitted 2014)
- Member, Fifth District - Section III Committee, Virginia State Bar Disciplinary System
- Member, Family Law Section, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, DC Bar (Admitted 2014)
- University of Virginia, College of Arts and Sciences, B.A., Majors: Government & History - Class of 2007
- Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology - Class of 2003
Pro bono/Community Service
- Clarinet Player, Main Street Community Band, City of Fairfax Band Association
- Member, Fairfax County Democratic Committee
- Member, Fifth District Committee - Section III, Virginia State Bar Disciplinary System
- Martindale-Hubbell Gold Client Champion
- Super Lawyers “Rising Star”, 2018 to 2020
- Mandatory Income Imputation - When ‘Discretion’ isn’t Discretionary, Virginia Lawyer Magazine, June, 2017
- The Law is Your Friend (Blog)
- Contributor, Fairfax County Pro Se Divorce Packet, 2015
- Contributor, Fairfax Circuit Court Practice Manual, 2018
- Presenter, Domestic Relations Sub-Committee’s “brown bag lunch series” legal education presentations
- Represented husband facing allegations of adultery and demands for lifetime spousal support after an 18 year marriage from a wife claiming disability in Prince William County Circuit Court. Successfully rebutted adultery allegations and utilized vocational expert to limit duration of spousal support award
- Represented father in action filed against him by DCSE in 2012 in the Fauquier County Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court to charge arrears arising from child support dating to the late 1980’s and early 1990’s. Successfully had most of case dismissed with a Plea in Bar utilizing newly developed case law, and had remainder of case dismissed on a motion to strike at trial
- Represented father in appeal to Virginia Court of Appeals of Alexandria Circuit Court ruling that he could not modify his child support while one child was no longer a minor because he had agreed to support his children in their majority. Successfully obtained a Court of Appeals ruling in client’s favor and reversal of the trial court in a published opinion
- Represented woman acting on behalf of her incapacitated mother in complex suit and counter-suit involving rental of her mother’s home to a tenant in Fairfax County General District Court. Case included claims by tenant of fraud and harassment and counter-claims by client of unpaid rent, late fees, attorneys’ fees and extensive property damage. Resulted in dismissal of tenant’s lawsuit by motion to strike, and judgment in client’s favor in her counter-suit
- Represented family in step-parent adoption action in Loudoun County Circuit Court where biological father refused to consent to adoption despite having been largely absent from child's life for over a decade. Successfully utilized available law and legal procedures to have court find biological father to have waived his right to object to adoption, and successfully obtained adoption of child by her step-father - the only man she'd really known as her father for close to 11 years.
- Represented plaintiff spouse in one of the earliest same-sex divorces in Fairfax County, taking case to a relatively easy conclusion despite judicial unfamiliarity with how to handle the process and state forms that had not been updated to reflect the new legalities of same-sex marriage
Last Updated: 8/13/2022