Brian M. Hirsch
Top rated family law attorney in Reston, VirginiaHirsch & Ehlenberger, P.C.
Attorney Brian M. Hirsch is a partner at Hirsch & Ehlenberger PC in Reston, Virginia. Mr. Hirsch practices family law and serves clients throughout northern Virginia. He has been licensed to practice law in Virginia since 1985 and has more than 30 years of experience representing and advising clients with family-related legal matters.
In 2017, Mr. Hirsch was awarded with the “Leaders in the Law” award by Virginia Lawyers Weekly. He has been named a “Top Divorce Lawyer” by Northern Virginia Magazine and Washingtonian magazine and is listed in the publication “The Best Lawyers in America” and in Virginia Business magazine as part of the “Legal Elite”.
An active member of his legal community, Mr. Hirsch is a fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers and a member of the Virginia Family Law Coalition through The Virginia Bar Association. He is also a commissioner in chancery for the Fairfax Circuit Court, belongs to the Virginia State Bar’s Fifth District Disciplinary Committee and previously served as chair for the Virginia State Bar’s board of governors for the family law section.
Mr. Hirsch graduated magna cum laude from Pennsylvania State University with a bachelor’s degree in religious studies. He earned his law degree from American University Washington College of Law and holds a certification in family mediation from the Supreme Court of Virginia.
Outside of his practice, Mr. Hirsch has lectured and published extensively on family law topics. His articles have been featured in publications, including the Virginia Family Law Trial Handbook and Virginia Lawyer.
Practice areasFamily law
Alimony & spousal support, Child support, Custody & visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic violence, Juvenile law, Name change, Paternity, Prenuptial agreements, Marital property, Mediation & collaborative law, Same sex family law
- 100% Family law
First Admitted: 1985, Virginia
Professional Webpage: https://www.novafamilylaw.com/attorneys/hirsch
- Unfaithfully Yours: Re-Examining Adultery as a Bar to Spousal Support, Virginia Lawyer, Volume 66, Number 1, 2017
- Evaluative Mediation: Friend or Foe, Resolutions, Office of the Executive Secretary of the Virginia Supreme Court, Dept.of Judicial Services, Division of Dispute Resolution, Volume 25, Issue 5, 2016
- Settlement Or Bust! Ethical Implications of Late Night Settlements, Family Law News, Volume 31, Number 4, 2011
- Maximizing Your Chances of a Fee Award in a Family Law Case, Family Law News, Volume 30, Number 2, 2010
- Assessing “Manifest Injustice” in Spousal Support Cases: Playing the Blame Game, Virginia Lawyer, Volume 55, Number 7, 2007
- A New Tool for the Divorce Lawyer: Using the Attorney Lien to Get Paid, Family Law News, Volume 26, Number 3, 2006
- You Bet Your Spouse’s Life: Examining Virginia’s Position on Life Insurance in Divorce, Virginia Lawyer, Volume 53, Number 7, 2005
- Monitoring Mediation: Identifying and Monitoring Uncertified Mediators in Virginia, Family Law News, Volume 23, Number 3, 2003
- Editor, Virginia Family Law Quarterly
- The Gray Divorce: Divorcing Later in Life, 2017
- Family Law Legislative and Case Law Update, Fairfax Bar Association, October 2016
- Difficult Clients and Counsel in High Conflict Cases: Being Ethical and Effective, October 2015
- Navigating the High Conflict Divorce, October 2014
- Getting to Yes, June 2014
- Everything You Wanted to Know About Child Support, 2013
- Divorce, Foreclosure and Bankruptcy, April 2011
- Examining the Trend Toward Shared Custody, April 2011
- Family Law at the Intersection of Divorce and Religion, 2010
- Anatomy of a Spousal Support Hearing, 2010
- Spousal Support Trial Strategies, 2009
- Equitable Distribution in a Recession, 2009
- Evidentiary Issues and Objections in Family Law Cases, 2008
- 23rd Annual Advanced Family Law Seminar, Moderator, 2007
- The Evolving Role of Fault in Divorce, April 2006
- Legal Ethics: Dealing with Difficult Clients and Counsel, May 2005
- So You Thought You Could Avoid Family Law, November 2004
- Family Law Discovery, May 2004
- Managing Equitable Distribution Cases, July 2003
- Relocation Custody Cases, April 2002
- Division of Stock Options in Divorce, June 2001
- Rehabilitative Alimony, May 2000
- Virginia Family Law Trial Handbook: Pleadings, Evidence and Strategies, 2017
- Fellow, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, 2004 - Present
- Virginia, 1985
- Past Chair, Virginia State Bar Family Law Section Board of Governors
- Commissioner in Chancery, Fairfax County Circuit Court
- Member, Virginia Bar Association Family Law Coalition
- Virginia State Bar Fifth District Disciplinary Committee
- The Best Lawyers in America
- Virginia Business Magazine's "Legal Elite"
- Washingtonian Magazine's Top Divorce Lawyers
- 2017 Leaders in the Law Award, Virginia Lawyer's Weekly
- Northern Virginia Magazine’s Top Divorce Lawyers
- Certified in Family Mediation, Virginia Supreme Court
- Pennsylvania State University, B.A., Political Science & Religious Studies, magna cum laude, 1982, 1982
- Juris Doctor, American University, Washington College of Law, 1985
Office location for Brian M. Hirsch
12110 Sunset Hills Rd.
Reston, VA 20190