Peter C. Cohen
Top rated employment & labor attorney in Reston, VirginiaCharlson Bredehoft Cohen & Brown, P.C.
Peter C. Cohen is a partner in the Reston, Virginia, law firm of Charlson Bredehoft Cohen & Brown, P.C. Focusing his practice primarily on employment and labor law, he represents clients throughout Virginia and the District of Columbia in matters involving employment disputes, civil rights violations, sexual harassment, covenants not to compete, employment agreements, discrimination, wrongful termination and related issues.
After receiving his bachelor's degree in political science from the State University of New York at Buffalo, Mr. Cohen attended American University Washington College of Law and was awarded his Juris Doctor in 1984. He managed his own practice for several years, representing plaintiffs in employment-related litigation, before joining Charlson Bredehoft Cohen & Brown, P.C., in 2003. Admitted to practice law in Virginia and the District of Columbia, Mr. Cohen is also admitted to practice before the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 4th and District of Columbia Circuits.
Over the course of his career, Mr. Cohen has represented a wide variety of clients, including high-level corporate officers, directors and executives as well as indigent criminal defendants. He has asserted claims on behalf of people who lost their savings during the savings and loan scandal, represented retirees pursuing their pension benefits and acted as pro bono counsel for the widow of a 9/11 victim for claims made to the victims' fund created by Congress.
Frequently asked to share his background and experience in his practice area, Mr. Cohen has given a continuing legal education presentation on employment litigation techniques and was quoted in a Wall Street Journal article on pregnancy discrimination. He is a member of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, the National Employment Lawyers Association and the Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association.
Practice areasEmployment & labor
- 100% Employment & labor
First Admitted: 1985, Virginia
Professional Webpage: https://www.cbc-law.com/team-members/peter-c-cohen-2/
- Hyland v. Raytheon Company, et al., At Law No. 221038 (Fairfax Cir. Ct., Oct. 2005)(defamation – $3.5 million jury verdict, reduced to $1.875 million, reversed on legal grounds)
- Hughston v. New Home Media, et al., C.A. No. 1:06cv1362 (E.D. Va.) (assault and battery, hostile work environment, and constructive discharge – $314,717.40 judgment, fees, and costs awarded)
- Holmes v. Deque Systems, Inc., et al., At Law No. 2007-4165 (Fairfax Cir. Ct.) (unjust enrichment – $580,000 jury verdict)
- Presenter, "Effective Techniques for Using and Excluding Evidence in Employment Cases", CLE, Virginia State Bar Association, 2011
- U.S. District Court Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Washington
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- Member, National Employment Lawyers Association
- Member, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- Washington, D.C.
- Holmes v. Deque Systems, Inc., et al., At Law No. 2007 - 4165 Fairfax Cir. Ct.
- United States v. Harvey, 814 F.2d 905, 4th Cir. 1987
- In re Forfeiture Hearing re: Caplin & Drysdale, 837 F.2d 637, 4th Cir. 1998
- Currier v. Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 159 F.3d.1363, D.C. Cir. 1999
- Board of Trustees of the Hotel & Restaurant Employees of Local 25 v. Madison Hotel, 43 F.Supp.2d 8, D.D.C. 1999
- Stith v. Chadbourne & Parke, LLP, 160 F.Supp.2d 1, 2001
- Rohan v. Networks Presentations, LLC, 175 F.Supp.2d 806, D.Md. 2001
- Rohan v. Networks Presentations, LLC, 192 F.Supp.2d 434, D.Md. 2003
- Zuurbier v. Medstar Health, Inc., et al., 306 F. Supp.2d, D.D.C. 2004
- Rohan v. Networks Presentations, LLC, 375 F.3d 266, 4th Cir. 2004
- Butler v. Southern States Cooperative, 270 Va. 459, 620 S.E.2d 768, 2005
- Hyland v. Raytheon, et. al., At Law No. 221038, Fairfax Cir. Ct., 2005
- Zuurbier v. Medstar Health, Inc., et al., 895 A.2d 905, 2006
- Hughston v. New Home Media, 552 F. Supp.2d 559, E.D.Va.2008
- Top 100 Lawyers, Washington Metropolitan Area over the past several years
- State University of New York at Buffalo, B.A. in Political Science, Top Honors
Office location for Peter C. Cohen
11260 Roger Bacon Drive
Reston, VA 20190
- Super Lawyers: 2010 - 2023