Attorney Dawn M. South has been offering reputable family law services for 13-plus years, and she continues to do so in her current position as a partner at DeBoerSouth, PLLC, in Richmond, Virginia. She understands that a family legal issue can devastate several areas of a client’s life and she does everything in her power to take the burden away from them.
Ms. South’s client base is made up of people who are going through issues related to divorce, mediation and settlement, child custody and support, parenting time, visitation, alimony/spousal maintenance, modification and enforcement of court orders, prenuptial and postnuptial agreements, complex property division and more.
After receiving her Bachelor of Arts in communications and political science from Virginia Tech in 2006, Ms. South enrolled at the University of Baltimore School of Law to pursue her legal education. She obtained her Juris Doctor in 2009 and became authorized to practice in Virginia the same year. Additionally, she was a visiting law student at the William & Mary Law School during her final year of law school.
A compassionate and trusted attorney, Ms. South has earned a reputation as an uncompromising litigator with a good understanding of the law and familiarity with the court system. She was selected for inclusion in the Top 10 Attorneys Under 40 by the National Academy of Family Law Attorneys (NAFLA) in 2020-2022. She was also rated by Super Lawyers as a rising star in family law in 2022.
Ms. South takes pride in the long-term relationships she has built with her clients and the community. She is an active member of the Bar Association of The City of Richmond, the Henrico County Bar Association, the Virginia State Bar – Domestic Relations Section and the Chesterfield County Bar Association. She also functioned as the co-chair of the Richmond Bench Bar Conference in 2019. She is a member of the Metro Richmond Family Law Association and currently serves as the treasurer. She is a volunteer with Camp Comfort Zone and serves on the Virginia Regional Advisory Committee and the 5K Committee. She is a legal volunteer with Cancer Linc and serves on their Board of Directors.
Practice areasFamily Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Juvenile Law, Marital Property, Mediation & Collaborative Law, Name Change, Prenuptial Agreements
- 100% Family Law
First Admitted: 2009, Virginia
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University, B.A.
- National Academy of Family Law Attorneys Top 10 Under 40, 2021
- Rated by Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in Family Law, 2022
- Metro Richmond Family Law Association Treasurer, 2022
- Board Member Cancer Linc, 2023
- Chesterfield County Bar Association, 2023
- Richmond Metro Women's Bar Association, 2023
- Henrico County Bar Association, 2023
- Metro Richmond Family Law Association, 2023
- Communications Committee Richmond Bar Association, 2023
- Metro Richmond Family Law Association Treasurer, 2023
- Communications Committee Richmond Bar Association
- Metro Richmond Family Law Association
- Co-Chair of Richmond Bench Bar Conference , 2019
- Richmond City Bar Association
- Henrico County Bar Association
- Chesterfield County Bar Association
- , National Academy of Family Law Attorneys Top 10 Under 40, http://www.nafla.net/, 2023
- , National Academy of Family Law Attorneys Top 10 Under 40, http://www.nafla.net/, 2020
- , National Academy of Family Law Attorneys Top 10 Under 40, http://www.nafla.net/, 2022
- CancerLinc Board Member, 2023
- Regional Advisory Council Virginia Member- Comfort Zone Camp, 2023
- Comfort Zone Camp Volunteer , 2023
- Cancer Linc Volunteer, 2023
- CancerLinc Volunteer
- Board of Directors Cancer Linc, 2022
- Camp Comfort Zone- Big Buddy Volunteer, Member of the Virginia Regional Advisory Committee, Member of the 5K Committee
Office location for Dawn M. South
1802 Bayberry Ct
Richmond, VA 23226
- Rising Stars: 2022 - 2023