Top rated Family Law attorney in Richmond, VirginiaBarnes & Diehl, P.C.
Practice Areas: Family Law; view more
Licensed in Virginia since: 2012
Education: University of Richmond School of Law
Barnes & Diehl, P.C.7401 Beaufont Springs Drive
Richmond, VA 23225 Visit website
Attorney Erik Baines is an associate with the Virginia law firm of Barnes & Diehl, P.C. The firm has three office locations across the Greater Richmond metro region, and Mr. Baines serves clients throughout the area who are going through divorce or have some other serious legal issues affecting their families.
In addition to family law, Mr. Baines has extensive experience with criminal defense as well as bankruptcy, taxation and estate planning, especially as they relate to divorce proceedings, and he has achieved notable success protecting the rights and best interests of those he serves while helping them resolve their conflicts and reach agreements that meet their specific needs and goals.
Mr. Baines graduated from the Virginia Military Institute in 2002, where he was the first standing graduate of the school's history program. He then served for several years as the Deputy Director of Development for the Fishburne Military School before deciding to enter law. He then enrolled at the University of Richmond School of Law, where he obtained his Juris Doctor in 2012 and graduated Order of the Coif.
While in law school, Mr. Baines achieved first place in the 2012 Walter Scott McNeill Legal Writing Competition. A Richmond Bar Association Young Lawyers Section Scholarship recipient, he also won CALI Awards for excellence in property, bankruptcy, secured transactions, remedies and tax policy.
Regarded as a leader in his field, Mr. Baines has published a number of articles related to family law, and he helped author and revise the criminal law and criminal procedure chapters for the 2016 edition of Virginia Law and Practice: A Handbook for Attorneys. He also serves on the adjunct legal faculty at Virginia Commonwealth University, and he regularly conducts lectures and seminars across his region on a variety of legal topics.
We are a debt relief agency. We help people file for bankruptcy relief under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
Practice areasFamily Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Divorce, Marital Property, Name Change, Prenuptial Agreements, Same Sex Family Law
- 100% Family Law
First Admitted: 2012, Virginia
Professional Webpage: https://www.barnesfamilylaw.com/attorney/baines-erik-d/
- Virginia Military Institute, 2002, Honors: First Standing Graduate in the History curriculum, Marshall Table (Omicron Delta Kappa)
- Virginia Supreme Court, 2012
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 2015
- Chesterfield Bar Association
- Metro Richmond Family Law Bar Association
- Richmond Bar Association
- Fishburne Military School, Member, Board of Visitors
- Virginia Commonwealth University, Adjunct Faculty, 2012-Current
- Winner of the Walter Scott McNeill Legal Writing Competition., University of Richmond, T.C. Williams School of Law, 2012
- Excellence in Remedies, CALI Award, 2012
- Excellence in Tax Policy, CALI Award, 2012
- Excellence in Bankruptcy, CALI Award, 2011
- Excellence in Secured Transactions, CALI Award, 2011
- Excellence in Property Law, CALI Award, 2010
- First standing graduate in the History curriculum, Randolph T. Townsend Award, Virginia Military Institute, 2002
- Selected to Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2016-2017
- Update on Virginia Family Law, Part II, Writer, 33rd Annual Family Law Seminar, 2014
- Update on Virginia Family Law, Part I, Writer, 31st Advanced Family Law Seminar, 2015
- Update on Virginia Family Law, Part II, Writer, 34th Annual Family Law Seminar, 2015
- Children's Testimony in Custody and Visitation Cases, Author, Virginia Family Law Quarterly, 2014
- 21st Century Jury Issues, Contributor, 43rd Annual Criminal Law Seminar, 2013
- Family Status and Today's Families, 47 Rich. L. Rev. 729 (January, 2013)
- Update on Family Law, Spring, 2014
- Update on Family Law, Fall, 2014
- Update on Family Law (Spring, 2015)
- Update on Family Law (Fall, 2015)
- Update on Family Law (Spring, 2016)
- Update on Family Law (Fall, 2016)
- Co-Authored with Michael HuYoung, Esquire, Shareholder at Barnes & Diehl, P.C., the Updates and Revisions to the Criminal Law and Criminal Procedure Chapters in the Virginia Law and Practice: A Handbook for Attorneys (2016 Edition)
Office location for Erik Baines
7401 Beaufont Springs Drive
Richmond, VA 23225
- Rising Stars: 2016 - 2022