Gregory R. Sheldon
Top rated Criminal Defense attorney in Richmond, VirginiaBain Sheldon PLC
Gregory R. Sheldon is an attorney at Bain Sheldon PLC. Mr. Sheldon has over 20 years of experience and practices in several areas of law, including criminal defense, domestic relations, landlord-tenant and personal injury law. He represents clients throughout central Virginia and the Tidewater area.
In his criminal defense practice, Mr. Sheldon handles cases involving drug crimes, DUI, license restoration and traffic matters. As a domestic relations attorney, he takes on guardianship cases, particularly when the issues involved intersect with criminal defense matters.
Mr. Sheldon is a respected and established legal professional. He draws upon his years of experience to provide strong representation to Virginia residents. He is a seasoned negotiator and works hard to obtain the best possible results for his clients. Although he is skilled in out-of-court negotiation, when trial is necessary, he is an aggressive courtroom advocate.
In 2022, the Greater Richmond Criminal Bar Association awarded Mr. Sheldon the Craig Cooley Award for Excellence, an honor given to an attorney who has exhibited those qualities exemplified by Mr. Cooley himself, "the Dean of the Richmond Bar." Mr. Sheldon was humbled by this honor.
Outside of his law practice, Mr. Sheldon stays involved in his legal community through membership in various professional organizations. He is a member of the Virginia State Bar Criminal Law Section, as well as the Richmond Criminal Bar Association and the Chesterfield Bar Association. He has lectured and served as a panelist for several professional events and training seminars.
Born in Staten Island, New York, Mr. Sheldon graduated cum laude from Franklin & Marshall College with a bachelor’s degree. He earned his law degree from the University of Richmond School of Law. He received his license to practice law in 1999, which qualified him to appear before all Virginia state courts.
Practice areasCriminal Defense, Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI, Family Law, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
Criminal Law, DUI/DWI, Domestic Violence, Drug & Alcohol Violations, Personal Injury - Plaintiff, Traffic Violations
- 70% Criminal Defense
- 10% Criminal Defense: DUI/DWI
- 10% Family Law
- 10% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1999, Virginia
Professional Webpage: https://www.bainsheldon.com/staff-member/gregory-r-sheldon/
- Pro Bono Protective Order Project, Chesterfield, Virginia
- Virginia College of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- Richmond Criminal Bar Association; Chesterfield County Bar Association; Representative of Chesterfield Bar Association to Bench-Bar Conference, 2008-2009
- Virginia State Bar, Section on Criminal Law, Member
- Richmond Bar Association
- Virginia, 1999
- Franklin and Marshall College B.A., cum laude, 1996
- Guardian ad litem
- Certified by Indigent Defense Counsel to handle Felonies, Misdemeanors and all Juvenile Cases; Certified to sit Second Chair on Capital Cases
- Bench Bar Conference-- "Judge, I want a program, but I ain't got no money!", Panel Member, 2009
- Division of Forensic Science Forensic Investigator Training Seminar, Guest Lecturer on Defense Perspective, 2012
- Chesterfield County Police Department Training Seminar on Interrogation Techniques and Issues, 2009
- Third Year Practice Class, University of Richmond School of Law for the Honorable Frederick G. Rockwell, Guest Lecturer, 2012
Office location for Gregory R. Sheldon
9030 Three Chopt Road, Suite B
Richmond, VA 23229
- Super Lawyers: 2021 - 2024
- Rising Stars: 2009, 2011 - 2014