James Mick Kessel
Top Rated Personal Injury Attorney in Richmond, VA
Selected to Rising Stars: 2010 - 2012
James Mick "Jamie" Kessel has dedicated his career to fighting for the rights of Virginians who have been seriously injured or killed because of the negligence of others. He enjoys being in court and believes each and every case should be handled from the beginning as if it were going to be tried before a jury. Jamie is an experienced trial attorney and has handled cases in State and Federal Courts throughout Virginia. His practice includes representing accident victims and their families in cases involving: car wrecks; tractor trailer accidents; wrongful deaths; distracted driving; dog bites; and dangerous premises. Recently, he became a shareholder in the Allen & Allen Law Firm.
Jamie graduated cum laude from West Virginia University and received his law degree from the University of Richmond. Early in his career he worked in defense litigation, giving him insight into how defense lawyers think and how to protect his clients' best interests in their personal injury cases. Before joining the Allen Law Firm he spent eight years practicing as a personal injury attorney in Richmond, Virginia and West Virginia.
Jamie has obtained an "AV Preeminent" peer review rating (the highest available) from Martindale-Hubbell and has been honored with the distinction of “Legal Elite” in litigation by Virginia Business Magazine every year since 2010. In the May 2016 issue of Richmond Magazine Jamie was honored to be chosen as one of the “Top 50 Attorneys in Richmond” and “Top 100 Attorneys in Virginia” by Virginia Super Lawyers. Jamie has been selected as Super Lawyer in the category “Personal Injury Plaintiff” since 2013 and was previously selected as a Rising Star by Virginia Super Lawyers in 2010, 2011, and 2012. In 2013 the American Association for Justice presented Jamie with the NLD Award for Excellence.
Jamie is dedicated to serving his legal community and is active in the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association and the American Association for Justice where he served on the NLD Board of Governors for seven years. He also believes in the importance of helping law students understand the significance of the jury system and frequently volunteers to judge local and national moot court competitions.
As an advocate for driver safety, Jamie works to reduce and prevent distracted driving by educating high school students and community groups using the scientifically guided evidence-based End DD (End Distracted Driving) presentations.
About James Mick Kessel
First Admitted: 2003, Virginia
Professional Webpage: https://www.allenandallen.com/attorneys/james-mick-jamie-kes...
- James “Jamie” Kessel has been recognized for the seventh year by Virginia Business Magazine as one of the 2018 Legal Elite for Civil Litigation. Previously, Jamie was included in the list from 2010-2016., Legal Elite – Litigation, Virginia Business Magazine (2010 - 2016, 2018)
- AV Preeminent, Peer Review Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- NLD Award for Excellence 2013, American Association for Justice
Pro bono/Community Service
- Volunteer, Richmond Animal League
- Volunteer, Muscular Dystrophy Association
- Volunteer, Families Are Magic “FAM”
- Past Member, Richmond SPCA's Associate Board
- Volunteer, Richmond Hospitality House
- Volunteer, Special Olympics
- Board of Young Professionals – Stop Child Abuse Now ("SCAN")
- Junior Board for the Faison School for Autism
- Speaker, High School Students on the Dangers of Distracted Driving
- Joann, Glen Allen, VA. If you are ever in a position to need an attorney, I would find one who is positive and believes in your case- and that's just who I got when I hired Jamie Kessel with Allen & Allen. Jamie was very considerate and upbeat. When I was injured, my husband did the footwork for finding an attorney to represent me and chose Allen & Allen based on their good name and that they are a well-respected firm. My experience with Jamie and his team could not have been better. The whole team was kind, patient, and supportive. They responded quickly to all my questions by being in constant contact throughout the whole process. I never had to worry about anything because Jamie and his team took care of it all. They made a pleasant experience out of a tough situation. Jamie never showed any strain or stress which I think is a good trait to have. I was beyond pleased with my outcome and would recommend Allen & Allen to anyone who needs an attorney. I could not have asked for a better group of people to handle my case. http://www.allenandallen.com/joann.html
- Shannon, Richmond, VA - http://www.allenandallen.com/james-mick-kessel-testimonials.htmlI first chose Allen & Allen because of the warm welcome and understanding I received when I called to inquire about what options I had regarding my case. We were fortunate that Jamie took the case. Jamie immediately began working on my case as soon as I met with him. Jamie made sure that I was included and aware of all communication with the adjuster. He was completely honest with me when I asked the value of my case and with the direction I should go with the offer. It took longer than expected for the insurance company to respond back once we decided to accept the offer. I was emailing and calling Jamie almost every day. Both Jamie and Marilyn were both so patient and always responded to me. They never brushed me off. My family and I were very happy working with Jamie. He never tried to pressure us to go another direction and we never felt that he was only after a commission. He had our best interest in mind and accepted our decision. We had several hurdles to cross with the insurance company and with Jamie's knowledge everything went very smoothly. I wasn't just a case number to Jamie. He showed a genuine concern for me and my family. We were satisfied with the outcome of our case. Jamie was very professional and honest. I will definitely refer others to consult with Jamie.
- Valerie, Henrico, VA - http://www.allenandallen.com/james-mick-kessel-testimonials.htmlI happened to see Allen & Allen’s commercial and they seemed very trustworthy. They seemed to have concern for their clients, and I could tell that they would be able to get the job done. I had a very good experience working with Jamie Kessel and his team. They were very knowledgeable and always did a good job. They knew what they were talking about. They were very informative and let me know what was going on every step of the way. I really appreciated that. They would call me, make sure I was o.k., they would tell me what I needed to do, what I needed to correct, and they were straightforward. I appreciate how they were concerned about my well-being, recuperation and the progress of my health. I was surprised that I received the amount I did – Jamie got it done and I was a happy camper. I was very pleased with the outcome of my case - I was shocked. I would recommend family, friends and neighbors to come to them - they are very good attorneys. I want to thank everyone at Allen & Allen, especially Jamie and his legal assistant Virginia for the excellent job that they did.
- Tasha, Newport News, VA - http://www.allenandallen.com/james-mick-kessel-testimonials.htmlI was referred directly to Jamie Kessel. He was prompt, always available (even after work hours), walked me through the entire process, prepared me and ultimately got me a great result. I was very pleased with the outcome of my case. The day of trial, it settled in my favor and I was happy I didn’t have to go to court. I would refer any and every one to Allen & Allen, because I think it is a magnificent law firm. They have experience and knowledge to get you through your case. I had a wonderful experience with Jamie and will use Allen & Allen again if needed.
- Clayton, Moseley, VA - http://www.allenandallen.com/james-mick-kessel-testimonials.htmlWe heard about Allen & Allen from TV, radio and the news. Our experience working with Jamie Kessel and his team was really good. Jamie was really easy to work with. I find some people harder to open up to but with Jamie I could really open up. Jamie seemed more like a friend than like I was in an attorney-client relationship. This was my first experience working with an attorney. He calmed my nerves. His legal assistant Marilynn was really great. She would call me to follow up. She was always very nice over the phone. I was very pleased with the outcome of my case. Jamie really did a phenomenal job. It wouldn't have turned out the same without him. I was very happy – he went above and beyond what he had to do to make everything happen. Jamie really fought for me. I would refer other clients to Jamie all day long.
- Rani, Richmond, VA - http://www.allenandallen.com/james-mick-kessel-testimonials.html I first heard about Allen & Allen through their television commercials. I had an amazing experience working with my attorney Jamie Kessel and his legal assistant Ginny. Jamie and his team are very knowledgeable. I work in the medical field and didn’t really understand all the ins and outs of the legal process. But from the very beginning they took the time to explain everything to me and kept me informed throughout the process. Jamie was definitely on point and I was very pleased with the outcome of my case. Throughout the process he checked in on me and made sure I agreed with his decisions. I was 100% pleased with my experience working with Jamie and his legal assistant. Ginny was great and I will tell anyone who needs an attorney about Jamie. He was amazing!
- Louise, Glen Allen, VA - http://www.allenandallen.com/james-mick-kessel-testimonials.htmlAllen & Allen felt like a safe place for me. What impressed me most about working with Jamie was that he really went to a deeper level to do the necessary research to understand my case. When he took over my case, he read all of my records and took a long time to get to know me. He understood where I was coming from and really went to the full extent to help me. I didn’t know what to expect in the outcome but I was very pleased. It was truly a very difficult, painful time and Jamie helped quantify that and prove my case. He and his legal assistant Marilynn helped me through it. Jamie listened and didn’t judge me. I would refer Jamie to a friend – he’s very personable, approachable, and easy to talk to.
- Paul, Henrico, VA - http://www.allenandallen.com/james-mick-kessel-testimonials.htmlI feel very blessed to have had Jamie Kessel as my attorney. The entire process was very pleasant. I had virtually no stress and was treated in a very professional manner. I would absolutely refer anyone to Allen & Allen and to Jamie. It just makes sense to use a well-known law firm like Allen & Allen. I felt like I was well represented.
- Daniel, Short Pump, VA Allen & Allen had been in the back of my mind as long as I could remember from ads and the local community. Jamie Kessel & his legal assistant Ginny were very helpful. They were always eager to help and respond. They were very prompt and forthcoming about my case, and were always as informative as possible. It was a pleasurable experience all around. I was expecting an outcome similar to what I got, and was overall very pleased. I would most definitely recommend Jamie and his team. They were helpful, informative and positive. For not knowing someone, they were able to understand what someone is going through, and they had genuine compassion. http://www.allenandallen.com/james-mick-kessel-testimonials.html
- Jack, Richmond, VA - http://www.allenandallen.com/james-mick-kessel-testimonials.html I'm from Richmond, and like most people from Richmond, I had heard of the firm. Jamie Kessel was outstanding in regard to his professionalism, guidance and overall expertise. Jamie was always several steps ahead of any questions I had. In the end, Jamie truly treated me as a friend, and made the process painless. I was very pleased both with the outcome of my case and the legal services provided to me. I would gladly refer Jamie and his team to a friend or family member. Jamie is a heck of a lawyer.
- James, Henrico, VA - http://www.allenandallen.com/james-mick-kessel-testimonials.htmlA friend had worked with Allen & Allen a few years ago when he was in an accident. He said that Allen & Allen treated him well. In my experience, the attorneys and staff are very knowledgeable on personal injury law. Jamie and his team were very professional. The time of my accident was right before Christmas and the birth of my daughter – it all occurred within three weeks. They always asked about my wife and baby. Jamie gave me some good advice - he told me what I would probably get for my case, but we actually did a little better than that. I was very happy with my settlement as well as the legal services provided to me – they did their job well. I already have referred someone to Allen & Allen.
- Monique, Virginia Beach, VA - http://www.allenandallen.com/james-mick-kessel-testimonials.htmlIf someone needs a personal injury attorney, I would recommend Jamie Kessel. I was originally using a different attorney at another law firm, but ultimately switched to Jamie after being referred to him by my former counsel. I had a great experience with him. Jamie was very knowledgeable about my case, the procedures, and was extremely helpful with preparing me for my deposition. He was always willing to answer any questions I had. His legal assistant was also readily available for me. I was very nervous about going to court and the trial, but Jamie was fully prepared and comforting. I am very pleased with the outcome. I would absolutely refer others to Jamie and Allen & Allen. He is very personable, doesn’t make you uncomfortable, easy to talk to, and most importantly, does well in court!
- Get to know Richmond, VA personal injury lawyer James Mick "Jamie Kessel of the personal injury law firm of Allen & Allen., Meet James Mick Kessel, Richmond area personal injury attorney
- , Can You Get Pulled Over for Texting While Driving in Virginia?
- Member, West Virginia Association for Justice
- Member, Henrico County Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Sponsor – NLD Party, American Association for Justice Annual & Winter Conventions (2010-2012)
- Member, Southern Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, West Virginia Bar
- Member, Richmond Bar Association
- Member; Judicial Selection Committee (2011), Henrico County Bar
- Speaker, Southern Trial Lawyers Annual Convention (2012)
- Member; YLD Leadership Division; Continuing Legal Education Committeer, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Virginia Bar Association
- Former Member, Kanawha County Bar Association
- Member, Virginia State Bar
- Presenter, Virginia Bar Association's First Day in Practice Seminar
- Member; NLD Board of Governors, American Association for Justice
- B.A. Political Science, Cum Laude, West Virginia University, 1999
Last Updated: 7/28/2022