K. Matthew Long
Top rated personal injury attorney in Richmond, VirginiaBowen Ten Long & Bal, PC
As an attorney, I am passionate about two things: solving problems and delivering results. I take pride in doing both with integrity, tenacity, and an unflagging commitment to my core guiding principles. My principles include always doing what I say I am going to do, upholding high ethical standards, and prioritizing personal communication with my clients so they are always informed.
I know first-hand what it’s like to have your life turned upside-down by an accident. I lived through the same experience as my injury clients when my own wife was in a devastating car accident, resulting in back surgery, a long hospital recovery, and rehabilitation that took almost two years. Her physical injuries healed, but our lives were forever changed. This personal experience and genuine empathy give me a unique perspective when representing injury clients. My priority is always to ease the burden of healing and help clients get their lives back as much as possible. I take on what could be emotionally charged interactions with insurance adjusters, so my clients don’t have to re-live the details of their upsetting experience. This empowers my clients to focus on their own healing or caring for their loved one, and work on getting back to their job, their business, their family, and their life.
Many personal injury lawyers claim they fight for their clients in court. I fight for my clients before we ever get to court. I hope to never put clients through a trial. I leverage my knowledge, experience, and expertise earned over many years of successful representation to get the best outcomes for clients without the need to go to court. My approach has resulted in clients receiving maximum recoveries for their injuries many times without even filing a lawsuit. I can do this not only because I know the law but because I’m practiced in knocking on the right doors — from insurance companies to medical providers to law enforcement — to get my job done well, so I can apply the right amount of pressure where it counts to get the best outcomes.
I am both attorney and counselor to my clients. As an attorney, it’s my mission to advocate for my client’s position and leave no stone unturned in pursuit of an outcome that serves their best interest. As a counselor, it’s my responsibility to educate and inform my clients of all available options, managing their expectations while guiding them to pursue the best course of action. My clients know me for my approachable and easygoing manner, my responsiveness, and my diligence. In the legal community and among my clients I’ve earned a reputation as a tough-but-fair professional who takes charge, is always at-the-ready to go the distance for my clients, and never settles for the easiest outcome.
In addition to helping injured people, I also represent clients who need help in other areas of the law. This includes general civil litigation, breach of contract situations, court cases concerning businesses, contests over real estate ownership including partition suits, and litigation over estate administration when a loved one passes away.
I believe in giving back to the legal community and volunteer to advocate for citizens and to protect the legal profession. I have lobbied for legal changes that have had a meaningful impact on people’s lives right here in Virginia. I am a volunteer arbitrator with the Virginia State Bar Fee Dispute Program. And I am President of the Third District Disciplinary Committee of the Virginia State Bar, which is the backbone of the attorney disciplinary process.
In my spare time, I enjoy traveling the world with my wife — for free — and sharing our adventures on my travel blog.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff, Business litigation, Civil litigation: plaintiff, Civil litigation: defense
First Admitted: 2009, Virginia
Professional Webpage: http://www.btclawva.com/Attorneys/K-M-Long.shtml
- Emory & Henry College, 2003
- University of Richmond School of Law, 2009
- $160,000 settlement in traumatic brain injury case, 2011
- $115,0000 settlement for motor vehicle crash victim , 2019
- $80,0000 settlement for Henrico County teacher that was rear ended, 2017
- $85,0000 settlement for motor vehicle crash victim, 2018
- $100,0000 settlement for motor vehicle crash victim, 2019
- $150,000 settlement in motor vehicle accident - settlement was obtained two months after being hired, 2018
- $250,000 settlement in contested slip and fall case, 2018
- $625,000 settlement in traumatic brain injury case, 2016
- $980,000 wrongful death settlement. Settlement was obtained two months after being hired, 2013
- Presented at a CLE sponsored by the Henrico Bar Association and discussed my role as a volunteer arbitrator for the VSB Fee Dispute Program. , Presenter, Virginia State Bar Fee Dispute Program CLE, Legal, 2019
- Rising Star in Personal Injury, Rising Star Personal Injury, Super Lawyers, 2021
- , Virginia Lawyers Weekly, Leaders in the Law, Class of 2021, 2021
- Rising Star in Personal Injury, Rising Star Personal Injury, Super Lawyers, 2019
- Rising Star in Personal Inury, Rising Star Personal Injury, Super Lawyers, 2018
- Board Member- Henrico Bar Association , 2021
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association: Board Member , 2022
- Volunteer Arbitrator- Virginia State Bar Fee Dispute Resolution Program, 2022
- Virginia State Bar Third District Disciplinary Committee , 2022
- Super Lawyers: 2023
- Rising Stars: 2017 - 2021