Alan B. Plevy is a founding principal of the firm. He is a member of the Bar in Virginia and Maryland. Mr. Plevy is a graduate of the University of Miami and the George Mason University School of Law. With 36 years as an attorney in the Commonwealth of Virginia, he is a well reputed and recognized force in the areas of family law and litigation. Mr. Plevy has vast experience in both negotiating and if necessary, litigating all issues requiring resolution in matrimonial actions including property settlement agreements, custody and visitation issues, and support.
Mr. Plevy has received the coveted Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating and has been recognized in Super Lawyers and the Washingtonian. Northern Virginia Magazine named Plevy as a Top Lawyer in 2013, 2010 and 2009. Most recently, he was selected as one of the 2014 “Best Lawyers in America” by The Best Lawyers in America and a SmartCEO Magazine Power Player in 2013.
A top legal publication, Virginia Lawyer Weekly, noted Mr. Plevy’s impact on the law when they named two cases he litigated among its Top Five Landmark Family Law Cases in Virginia. Those two cases, which date back to the 1980s, are still regularly cited by attorneys and courts.
Additionally, Mr. Plevy is frequently interviewed as an expert on divorce law by the media. The New York Times recently interviewed him in a story about how the economy is impacting child support, Men’s Health spotlighted him in a piece about social media and its impact on divorce, and he was featured on News Channel 8‘s Let’s Talk Live, a local D.C. news show, discussing how to better deal with custody issues that arise during the holiday season.
Mr. Plevy serves as Neutral Case Evaluator and Conciliator for the Fairfax County Circuit Court, Virginia and as an Equitable Distribution Mediator for the Montgomery County Circuit Court, Maryland. He is a member of the Fairfax Bar Association where he served in various capacities as a member of the Board of Directors (1982-1988), as Chairman of the Personnel Committee (1983-1985), as Vice Chairman (1980-1981) and Chairman (1981-1982) of the Public Relations Committee and as a member of the Judicial Screening Committee (1996-1997). He is also a member of the Montgomery County Bar Association and the Maryland State Bar Association, Inc.
First Admitted: 1977, Virginia
Professional Webpage: http://smolenplevy.com/lawyer/alan-plevy/
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Named to Best Lawyers in America 2014 by Best Lawyers, 2013
- Selected as one of the top divorce attorneys by Washingtonian Magazine, 2008
- As a guest on Newschannel 8's "Let's Talk Live," SmolenPlevy co-founding principal Alan Plevy discusses how to handle the holidays if you're divorced or in the midst of a divorce., Alan Plevy TV Appearance/Divorce & the Holidays
- SmolenPlevy's co-founding principal Alan Plevy discusses how the economy can impact one's ability to pay child support and the need for child support modifications., Alan Plevy Discusses Child Support Modifications
- SmolenPlevy co-founding principal Alan Plevy discusses the initial steps to be taken when facing divorce. Alan explains the complexity of the decision and the best ways to approach the subject with your spouse and family., Alan Plevy on Deciding on Divorce
- SmolenPlevy co-founding principal Alan Plevy and partner Kyung Dickerson discuss the complications and nuances of dealing with real estate and the economy in a divorce., Divorce and Dealing with the Housing Market
- On WJLA-TV, Alan Plevy explains how social media pages like Facebook are often tied to divorce., On WJLA TV, Alan Plevy Discusses Social Media & Divorce
- In this SmolenPlevy blog post, I discuss the steps you should take to prepare if you are called to testify as a witness, whether in a Deposition or in a Court proceeding. , A Guide To Witnesses, 2012
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2024