Carlton F. Bennett
Top rated Medical Malpractice attorney in Virginia Beach, VirginiaThe Law Firm of Carlton F. Bennett, P.L.L.C.
Practice Areas: Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury
Licensed in Virginia since: 1975
Education: University of Florida Levin College of Law
As a practitioner of personal injury law, he extends representation to victims of negligence throughout Norfolk, Suffolk, Portsmouth, Chesapeake, Newport News, Williamsburg and Hampton. He guides clients through the process of proving negligence and collecting damages from responsible parties. The pursuit of compensation for people whose lives have been altered by traumatic brain injury, wrongful death, medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, and motor vehicle accidents has defined his career.
Mr. Bennett distinguished himself serving as co-counsel on a case that resulted in $10.2 million verdict for a traumatic brain injury case. Since becoming licensed as an attorney in 1975, his management of litigation for injury victims has gained multimillion-dollar settlements on many occasions. These achievements have earned him a place within the prestigious Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
At the American Association for Justice, he serves as a member of the organization’s Traumatic Brain Injury Section. The National Board of Trial Advocacy has granted him board certification in civil trial advocacy. Mr. Bennett also belongs to the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association.
He practices law before the U.S. District Courts for all districts of Virginia and the Supreme Court of the United States. When waging appeals, he presents cases before the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 4th and 5th Circuits. As a member of The Virginia Bar Association and The Florida Bar, he can represent cases in both of those states. The University of Florida Levin College of Law awarded him a Juris Doctor in 1975, and he maintains a peer review rating of AV Preeminent* through Martindale-Hubbell.
* AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
First Admitted: 1975, Virginia
Professional Webpage: https://www.carltonbennettlaw.com
- 2012: Explosion on ship resulted in three workers suffering TBI injuries. Cases were filed in Norfolk Circuit Court. Total of the three settlements: $3,550,000 ; 2011: Tractor trailer truck hits plaintiffs vehicle, resulting in mTBI, on Va. Eastern Shore. Case was in U.S. Dist. Ct., Norfolk Div.: $1,725,000 settlement; negligent auto repair causing death of owner/driver, $1,000,000 settlement; 2010: • Tractor trailer case with traumatic brain injury, $900,000 settlement. 2009: • Crewe vs. Potter/Cote De Nege Assisted Living Center: $750,000 verdict for sexual assault on client by a staff member, including $250K in punitive damages. • Two victims injured as a result of a tractor trailer truck colliding into a church school bus. Cases were filed in Virginia Circuit Court. Settlements for the victims were $2.5 million and $1.1 million, respectively. • Victim of an auto wreck that caused traumatic brain injury, $750,000 settlement. 2008: • $10.2 million dollar jury verdict: Zoll v. Werner Enterprises, Inc. Ms. Zoll suffered a traumatic brain injury when the vehicle in which she was riding in as a passenger was struck by a Werner tractor trailer, causing it to roll over at high speed. This was the highest jury verdict in the history of Norfolk Circuit Court. An Appeal by the defendant was denied by The Virginia Supreme Court.
- The American Association for Justice recognized Mr. Bennett for his volunteer service to individuals who sought compensation under the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund. Trial Lawyers Care was the largest Pro Bono legal services program in history, providing free representation to more than 1,700 victim families. Mr. Bennett made an essential contribution to this achievement
- Listed in the 2010 - 2012 Editions of The Best Lawyers in America
- AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyers
- Florida, 1975
- Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1979
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1983
- Virginia, 1978
- Member, American Association for Justice, Traumatic Brain Injury Section
- Member, National Brain Injury Association
- U.S. Federal Court, 1977
- Member, Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Member, Board of Directors, The National Brain Injury Trial Lawyers Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1977
- Old Dominion University, Bachelor of Arts, 1972
- Member, National Coalition for Nursing Home Reform
- National President of Theta Chi Fraternity, 1992 - 1996.
- Old Dominion University Board of Visitors
- Rector, Old Dominion University Board of Visitors
- Chairman, Old Dominion University Athletic Foundation, 2008 - 2009.
- Mr. Bennett is certified in Civil Trial Advocacy by The National Board of Trial Advocacy., 2002
- Speaker, Traumatic Brain Injury, American Association For Justice, American Association For Justice, 2009