Reeves W. Mahoney
Top rated family law attorney in Virginia Beach, VirginiaMahoney Richmond Thurston, PLLC
Practice Areas: Family law; view more
Licensed in Virginia since: 1980
Education: University of Richmond School of Law
Mahoney Richmond Thurston, PLLC4705 Columbus Street
Virginia Beach, VA 23462 Visit website
Mahoney & Richmond, PLLC Founding Attorney Reeves W. Mahoney represents divorce litigants throughout Virginia with a concentration in the Courts from South Hampton Roads (Virgfinia Beach, Norfolk, Chesapeake, Suffolk) to Richmond. Recognized for his skill in contested divorce, he uses his experience gained over the last four decades to protect the rights and privileges his clients with high-end asset profiles, complex equitable distribution issues, and very difficult custody cases. 95% of divorce cases settle and the other 5% go to trial--Mr. Mahoney spends a great deal of time in the 5%. For his adherence to legal ethics and superior skills, Mr. Mahoney has earned the highest rating* possible of AV Preeminent from Martindale-Hubbell.
At the Randolph-Macon College in 1974, he earned his Bachelor of Arts before moving on to the University of Richmond School of Law to earn a Juris Doctor in 1979. His peers have elected him as one of the Legal Elite named by Virginia Business magazine and he was one of Virginia’s top 100 attorneys in 2019. As a former member of the Child Support Guideline Review Panel for Virginia, Mr. Mahoney has lectured on numerous family law topics including child support before and after emancipation.
Mr. Mahoney is affiliated with many professional organizations, including the Virginia State Bar, the American Bar Association, The Virginia Bar Association, the Association of Trial Lawyers of America, the Virginia Trial Lawyers Association and the Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys; he is a member of the Boyd-Graves Conference having served on numerous committess recommending family law legislation to the Virginia General Assembly.
Mr. Mahoney also deals with crisis management and his list of clients includes private organizations and nonprofit agencies.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasFamily law
Alimony & spousal support, Child support, Custody & visitation, Divorce, Prenuptial agreements, Marital property
- 100% Family law
First Admitted: 1980, Virginia
Professional Webpage: http://www.mnr-law.com/attorneys-and-staff/reeves-w-mahoney/
- Virginia’s Child Support Guideline Review Panel
- Commissioner, Chesapeake Bay-Bridge Tunnel Commission, 2018-present, 2023
- YMCA of South Hampton Roads, General Counsel, 1986 - 2005
- YMCA of South Hampton Roads, Board of Directors, 1986 - 1997
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Boyd Graves Conference
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- Virginia State Bar, Family Law section, Member
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- The Perils of Post-emancipation Child Support (Before & After Emancipation), April 22, 2014
- Boyd-Graves Conference, Member, 1994 - Present
- Randolph-Macon College, B.A., 1974
- Legal Elite, Virginia Business Magazine
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2009
- Virginia Super Lawyers magazine, Family Law
- Family Lawyer of the Year, 2010
- Top 100 attorneys in Virginia, 2019
- AV Preeminent® rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- The Great American Public
Office location for Reeves W. Mahoney
4705 Columbus Street
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
- Super Lawyers: 2006 - 2023