Anthony C. Munter
Top rated Employment & Labor attorney in Washington, Washington DCPrice Benowitz LLP
Anthony C. "Tony" Munter is an attorney with Price Benowitz LLP located in Washington, D.C. A dedicated attorney, he handles qui tam and whistleblower reward cases in the District of Columbia and Massachusetts, and throughout the U.S. seeking to protect the rights of clients who have reported fraudulent claims made against federal and state government agencies. Highly regarded by his peers, Mr. Munter's efforts have earned him a listing in The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 as well as a "Superb" rating from Avvo, the online legal directory and forum.
A recipient of a Bachelor of Arts from McGill University, Mr. Munter attended Massachusetts School of Law and was awarded his Juris Doctor in 1994. Admitted to practice in the District of Columbia and Massachusetts, he is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Courts for the District of Columbia and the District of Massachusetts, Colorado, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit. Before joining Price Benowitz LLP, Mr. Munter helped to build a successful False Claims Act law practice at another area law firm and was instrumental in expanding the scope of the law to cover industries beyond health care and defense contracting. Over the course of his career, he has recovered millions of dollars for the federal government from companies engaged in fraudulent billing practices and similar activities.
As whistleblowers often face retaliation from their employers, Mr. Munter maintains active memberships in the National Employment Lawyers Association and the Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association, and has worked for the National Whistleblower Center Legal Defense and Education Fund. He further demonstrates his commitment to public service through his involvement in Integrity Action, a global anti-corruption charity, and the State Advisory Panel on Special Education for the District of Columbia.
Practice areasEmployment & Labor: Employee, Government Relations
- 50% Employment & Labor: Employee
- 50% Government Relations
First Admitted: 1995, Massachusetts
Professional Webpage: https://pricebenowitz.com/our-team/tony-munter/
- Open University, Budapest, Educator, False Claims Act
- The State Advisory Panel on Special Education for the District of Columbia, Member.
- Appeal to Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals on behalf of a detained immigrant who was subsequently released
- Listed as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers., Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers
- Mr. Munter is rated a perfect 10.0 "Superb" rating on Avvo., Perfect 10.0 Superb Rating, Avvo
- McGill University, B.A., 1985
- Member, National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA)
- District of Columbia, 2004
- Federal District Court of the District of Columbia, 2007
- Federal District Court for the District of Colorado
- Member, State Advisory Panel for Special Education in the District of Columbia, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit
- Federal District Court for the District of Massachusetts, 2013
- Member, Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association (MWELA)
- Massachusetts, 1995
- The Federal District of Massachusetts
- Member, Taxpayers Against Fraud
- National Employment Lawyers Association (NELA), 2013
- Taxpayers Against Fraud Convention, 2016
- False Claims Act lecture at the National Whistleblower Center
- National Employment Lawyers Association Convention -- Los Angeles, 2016
- Taught False Claims Act Law at the Open University in Budapest
- Mr. Munter discusses critical statements the Chamber has made toward the FCA., US Chamber of Commerce Fights the FCA, 2014
- Mr. Munter discusses qui tam rights for whistleblowers and the difference between other whistleblower reward laws. , Qui Tam Rights and Whistleblowers
- Mr. Munter discusses proof in whistleblower cases. A whistleblower does not need proof initially, but he will have to think very hard about the facts and the circumstances of the case as well as work with the government in order to prove the alleged fraud. , Proof in Whistleblower Cases
- Mr. Munter discusses what Healthcare Fraud is in the context of the False Claims Act and other whistleblower claims., What is Healthcare Fraud?
- Mr. Munter discusses the False Claims Act in the context of public saftey. When a firm puts business interests ahead of public care, and government funds are involved, then one of the best ways to resolve the issue would be through the False Claims Act., Public Safety and the False Claims Act
- Mr. Munter discusses False Claims Act cases and the 2 basic elements that are involved: fraud and and government funds., Elements of a False Claims Act Case
- Mr. Munter discusses medical necessity under the False Claims Act. In order for an operation to be authorized and paid for with government funds it must be considered to be a medical necessity. , Medical Necessity Under the False Claims Act
- Mr. Munter discusses upcoding and how this coding infraction can impact the government elevated disbursement of funds., What is Upcoding?
- Mr. Munter discusses the difference between state false claims as well as federal false claims and in what area each government is able to recover damages., Difference Between Federal and State False Claim Acts
- Mr. Munter discusses defense contractor fraud and how is has been a prominant issue ever since the Civil War when the Union Army was the subject of fraudulent contractors. , Defense Contractor Fraud
- Mr. Munter discusses the first steps a potential whistleblower should and should not do. , Should You Talk About your Whistleblower Case?
- Mr. Munter discusses what a whistleblower is and why it is important for this person to know his rights before he steps forward with this case., Who is a Whistleblower?
- Mr. Munter discusses major whistleblower reward laws including the Federal False Claims Act, different state False Claims Act laws, the SEC and FCTC and IRS whistleblower offices., Major Whistleblower Reward laws
- Mr. Munter discusses the relative timeframe in which it takes to file a False Claims Act Case and why people continue to pursue them., The Time it Takes to File a False Claims Act Case
- Mr. Munter discusses kickbacks and the Anti-Kickback Statute and how it applies to Medicaire and Medicaid funds., What is a Kickback?
- Mr. Munter discusses Government Contractor Fraud and who is at risk. Government contracting is a big and profitable business, and if a firm were to cheat the system, then the honest firms will no longer be able to compete., What is Government Contractor Fraud?
- Mr. Munter discusses the different types of false claims and how a reverse false claim differs. , Different Types of False Claims
- Mr. Munter discusses the illegal marketing of prescription drugs and what the government's role is when disbursing funds into healthcare programs. , Illegal Marketing of Prescription Drugs
- Mr. Munter discusses how much a Whistleblower is potentially entitled to after filing a False Claim. A whistleblower is simply not just entitled to the damages occured against him, but also to a share of the governments reward., Whistleblower Rewards under the False Claims Act
- Mr. Munter discusses fraud and the False Claims Act in healthcare and what rights whistleblowers have in these type of situations. , Healthcare Fraud and the FCA
- Mr. Munter discusses the new SEC and CFTC whistleblower laws that were enacted with the Dodd-Frank legislation and the new atmosphere in which whistleblowers are now allowed to file suit., Dodd-Frank Legislation and Whistleblowers
- Mr. Munter discusses whistleblower retaliation and describes some of the actions a whistleblower can perform if he has been the subject of retaliation in a whistleblower case., Whistleblower Retaliation
- Mr. Munter discusses the steps in which a whistleblower can file a claim under the FCA. , Filing a False Claims Act Claim
- Mr. Munter discusses the difference between a false claim and a reverse false claim and all of the parties involved in such a case., What is a Reverse False Claim?
- Mr. Munter discusses the role of greed and financial rewards in whistleblower cases. The greed of the people commiting the fraud is what the reward is designed to combat., Who is Greedy in Whistleblower Cases?
- Mr. Munter discusses liablity under the False Claims Act. If a whistleblower brings a case forward that in some way involves government funds, then this case can work under the False Claims Act. , Liability Under the False Claims Act
- Mr. Munter discusses what knowledge is under the False Claims Act. Knowledge is defined as what can be normally understood as well as the reckless disregard for the truth., Knowledge under the False Claims Act
- Mr. Munter discusses Medicare kickbacks and how the Anti-kickback Statute and the Stark law help protect government and consumer interests., Medicare Kickbacks
- Mr. Munter discusses the statute of limitations in False Claim Act and how time can be of great importance in these type of cases., Statute of Limitations in False Claim Act Cases
- Mr. Munter discusses what constitutes fraud under the FCA and the different ways the government can be frauded in these types of cases. , What Constitutes Fraud under the FCA
- Editor of the Taxpayers Against Fraud now the The Anti Fraud Coalition ("TAF") Blog, 2023
- Editor of Fraud by the Numbers, 2023
- Tony Munter TRansparency Scholarship -- The scholarship seeks to raise awareness about the importance of transparency in all industries and sectors.
- Co- counsel on an SEC Whistelbower case involving so far a return to harmed investors of $9.3 Million this year with a maximum award provided to the anonymous WB of 30%., 2023
- Co counsel $15M settlement involving abuse of Department of Labor Health program, 2021
- Co counsel Settlement in a whistlebloer suit involving multiple defendants and compound pharmaceuticals $5M , 2021
Office location for Anthony C. Munter
409 7th St NW
Washington, DC 20004
- Super Lawyers: 2014 - 2024