David R. Cashdan
Top Rated Employment Litigation Attorney in Washington, DC
David R. Cashdan, of Cashdan & Kane, PLLC, is a seasoned litigator who represents clients in the Washington, D.C., area. With more than four decades of litigation experience, Mr. Cashdan primarily focuses his practice on employment law matters, including anti-discrimination cases, retaliation claims and employment severance negotiations, and he represents plaintiffs as well as defendants. His broad client base includes government employees, corporate officers, professionals and blue-collar workers.
After earning his Juris Doctor from the University of Michigan Law School, Mr. Cashdan gained extensive experience in employment law while serving as the senior attorney and acting chief of the District Court Section of the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) from 1967 to 1970.
Mr. Cashdan is admitted to practice before Maryland state courts in addition to the District of Columbia; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit; the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th Circuits; and the U.S. Supreme Court. Mr. Cashdan has served in numerous capacities for several legal associations, including the Board of Govenor's College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, the American Bar Association, DC Bar, the National Employment Lawyers Association, the Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association, the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers.
An author and co-author of pieces for Washington Lawyer, the official publication of the District of Columbia Bar, Mr. Cashdan regularly conducts presentations at Continuing Legal Education (CLE) conferences locally and nationally. He was chosen in 2013 as “Attorney of the Year”, by the Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association. His honors include being selected by his peers "Best Lawyers of America"(c) 2016-2020 and by Ten Leaders as one of the top 10 employment lawyers in the Washington D.C. area. He was one of the first attorneys in the nation representing plaintiffs to be honored by Martindale-Hubbell with its AV-Preeminent peer-reviewed rating, Washingtonian Magazine has also selected him as one of the best employment lawyers in Washington D.C. area. Since 2012, he has also received AVVO's highest rankings.
*AV-Preeminent and BV-Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Certificates and Credentials
About David R. Cashdan
First Admitted: 1967, Washington DC
Professional Webpage: http://www.cashdankane.com/attorney-profiles/david-r-cashdan...
- Recipient: Federal Bar Association's National Outstanding Younger Attorney Award, 1969
- "Unjust Dismissal: District of Columbia Update," The Washington Lawyer, November/December, 1989
- Co-Author: "Whistle Blowers and D.C.'s Public Policy Tort," The Washington Lawyer, July/August, 1992
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Equal Opportunity Law, Denver College of Law, Spring Quarters, 1972-1974
- Chairperson and Lecturer, Equal Employment Opportunity Law, CLE Colorado Bar, 1972 and 1973
- "Getting to Trial with a Gender Harassment Case," D.C. Bar CLE, Spring, 1995
- "Claims of Alleged Harassers: Enforcing the Rights of the Wrongfully Accused," The National Organization of Lawyers for Education Association Law Conference, Washington, DC, May 21, 2006
- "Workers' Rights in Jeopardy: EEOC's Enforcement of Equal Employment Opportunity Laws Impede By Inadequate Funding," National Employment Lawyers Association report, April, 2007
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 1968
- Member, Board of Directors, National Employment Lawyers Association, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1977
- Board of Directors, Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association, 1988
- ADA Policy Law Editorial Advisory Board. Editorial Board, Bender's Labor & Employment Bulletin
- Member, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, 2003
- Member, The District of Columbia Bar, 1993-1995
- Litigation, American Bar Association
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1968
- Treasurer, National Employment Lawyers Association, 2006
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit, 1970
- President, Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association, 1993-1996
- Senior Attorney and Acting Chief, District Court Section, U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, 1965-1970
- Co-Chair, Chet Levitt Employment Law Fund, 1997
- Member, The District of Columbia Bar 1972-1974
- Individual Rights and Responsibilities Law, American Bar Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 1967
- Vice President Public Policy, National Employment Lawyers Association, 2007-2010
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1970
- Member, Advisory Board, Workplace Fairness
- Maryland, 1990
- Board of Directors, District of Columbia Employment Justice Center, 2000-2004
- Co-Chairperson, Steering Committee of Labor Law Division, The District of Columbia Bar, 1996-1997
- Member, Sections of Labor and Employment Law, American Bar Association
- District of Columbia, 1967
- First Vice President, National Employment Lawyers Association, 2010
- Lead Counsel: Bell et al. v. Automobile Club of Michigan, 80 F.R.D. 228 (ED.Mich. 1978).
Last Updated: 5/15/2022