Denis C. Mitchell
Top rated Medical Malpractice attorney in Washington, Washington DCStein Mitchell Beato & Missner LLP
Denis C. Mitchell partners with Stein Mitchell Beato & Missner LLP law firm in Washington, D.C., to represent victims of medical malpractice and catastrophic personal injuries. He has over two decades of experience advocating for individuals as well as families that experienced the heartbreaking loss of a loved one.
Mr. Mitchell has been successful in securing millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements at the state and federal levels, including the biggest verdict ever for a medical negligence case in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Some of his other noteworthy results include $22 million for a victim of sexual assault, a $9 million recovery for a wrongful death and $17 million for a woman injured in a truck collision.
An eloquent speaker and writer, Mr. Mitchell has written quarterly publications and provided presentations on cases delivered by state and federal courts in the District of Columbia. Additionally, he was an adjunct professor in trial advocacy for 12 years at Georgetown University Law Center. Furthermore, he has knowledge of both teaching and research at the Economics Department of the University of Navarra in Pamplona, Spain, possessing fluency in Spanish.
Before receiving his Juris Doctor from the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law in 2000, Mr. Mitchell completed his bachelor’s degree at the University of Navarra in 1998. During his time at the law school, he functioned as the comments and notes editor of Maryland Law Review and was inducted into the Order of the Coif. He received his license to practice law in Maryland (2000) followed by Washington, D.C., and Virginia.
Mr. Mitchell has been greatly honored for his accomplishments and exemplary service to clients. He was:
- Named "Trial Lawyer of the Year" in 2014 by the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C.
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America continuously since 2011
- Listed among the Top Attorneys by Bethesda Magazine as well as the Washingtonian magazine
- Rated 10 out of 10 on Avvo
Mr. Mitchell has had various leadership functions, including serving as a board member and president of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. and the co-chair of the District of Columbia Bar’s Trial Practice Committee and Tort Law Steering Committee. Additionally, he has been a member of the Maryland Association for Justice – Amicus Committee since 2006.
Practice areasPersonal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff, Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
- 50% Personal Injury - Medical Malpractice: Plaintiff
- 50% Personal Injury - General: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 2000, Maryland
Professional Webpage: https://www.steinmitchell.com/professionals-Denis-Mitchell
- Virginia Bar
- Adjunct Professor at Georgetown University School of Law, 2007-2019
- Maryland Bar
- District of Columbia Bar
- Avvo Rating 10.0 out of 10, Top Attorney - Medical Malpractice
- Bethesda Magazine Top Attorney - Medical Negligence
- Best Lawyers® Washington D.C. (2011 to present)
- SuperLawyers® Washington, D.C. (2012 to present)
- Trial Lawyer of the Year, an honor bestowed by the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C., Trial Lawyer of the Year, 2014
- Washingtonian Magazine Top Lawyers (2017 - present)
- Presenter, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington: Primer on Changes to Superior Court Rules, September 2015
- Presenter, D.C. Bar CLE: 2015 Revisions to the D.C. Superior Court Rules - Experts and Other Noteworthy Changes, December 2015
- Presenter, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. Dinner Meetings: Recent Developments in D.C. Law," Washington, D.C., several times yearly
- Member, The Counsellors (2015 - Present)
- Co-Chair Tort Law Steering Committee, District of Columbia Bar (2009 - 2011)
- Member of Amicus Committee, Maryland Association for Justice (2006 - Present)
- Membership Committee Co-Chair, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. (2007 - 2008)
- Board Member, Head Injury Rehabilitation and Referral Services (HIRRS) (2016 - present)
- Education Committee Chair, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. (2008-2009)
- Co-chair, Trial Practice Committee for D.C. Bar Litigation Section Steering Committee (2016 - present)
- Past President and Board Member, Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, D.C. (2002 - Present; President, 2014-2015)
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D.
- University of Virginia, B.A.
- University of Navarre in Pamplona, Spain
- Adjunct Faculty At Georgetown Law Center
- American Association For Justice
- Association Of Washington
- Maryland Association For Justice
- Trial Lawyers
Office location for Denis C. Mitchell
901 15th Street Northwest
Washington, DC 20005