H. Vincent McKnight, Jr.
Top rated Employment & Labor attorney in Washington, Washington DCSanford Heisler Sharp, LLP
Vincent (Vince) McKnight is Co-Managing Partner of the Washington, DC, Office of Sanford Heisler Sharp, Co-Ombudsperson, and Co-Chair of the firm’s Whistleblower & Qui Tam Practice Group. He handles all sorts of employment law matters and focuses a significant portion of his practice on whistleblower/qui tam claims and employment discrimination. He leads his firm’s Whistleblower & Qui Tam Practice Group.
Mr. McKnight considers whistleblowers as the champions of their workplaces and understands that it can be stressful and exhaustive for them to handle the consequences. He has deep knowledge of all the applicable laws and tries to protect whistleblowers from every form of retaliation. He has helped his clients – individuals and classes – recover millions in settlements and verdicts.
A 1975 graduate of Brown University, Mr. McKnight obtained his Bachelor of Arts in public policymaking. He received his Juris Doctor from the University of Pennsylvania Carey Law School in 1978. While in law school, he was permitted to try a case in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania as a part of his clinical program. He worked as a law clerk for Judge William C. Pryor at the District of Columbia Court of Appeals and the District of Columbia Superior Court.
As a result of his accomplishments, Mr. McKnight was listed among the Leading Plaintiff Employment and Civil Rights Lawyers by Lawdragon 500 and Top 100 Lawyers by The National Black Lawyers. He is named the Most Valuable Player in Government Contracts by Law360 and rated AV Preeminent* through Martindale-Hubbell. Furthermore, he was also recognized by The Best Lawyers in America.
First licensed to practice in the District of Columbia in 1979, Mr. McKnight is also qualified to appear in Maryland; the U.S. Supreme Court; the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 3rd, 4th and 7th Circuits; the federal courts of Maryland and the District of Columbia; and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Involved in his legal circle, Mr. McKnight conducts and takes part in panels on whistleblower laws at the American Bar Association, the Taxpayers Against Fraud and the Federal Bar Association. His stories and opinions on important whistleblower matters are frequently featured in newspapers and magazines. He is an erstwhile member of the board of directors of the Trial Lawyers Association of Metropolitan Washington, DC, and now functions as a director of the board of Taxpayers Against Fraud.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
Practice areasEmployment & Labor: Employee, Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
Whistleblower, Wrongful Termination
- 90% Employment & Labor: Employee
- 10% Employment Litigation: Plaintiff
First Admitted: 1979, Washington DC
Professional Webpage: https://www.sanfordheisler.com/team/h-vincent-mcknight-jr-/
- United States ex rel. Yuxin “Jay” Fang v. Fortinet, Inc., et al.
- Adams v. Cohchran
- United States ex rel. Sherwin v. Office Depot (Los Angeles County Superior Court)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Taxpayers Against Fraud Education Fund Conference Committee (2017, 2018)
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia
- District of Columbia, 1980
- Maryland, 2009
- B.A., Brown University, 1975
- National Law Journal Plaintiffs’ Lawyer Trailblazers, 2022
- National Black Lawyer Top 100 list
- Top Rated Lawyer in Maryland by the Legal Network
- DC Super Lawyer, 2009, 2011-2012, 2017-2020
- Named 2018 Martindale-Hubbell Top Rated Lawyer
- Lawdragon 500 Plaintiff Employment Lawyer, 2021 - 2022
- Law360 MVP - Government Contracts, 2021
- Sanford Heisler Sharp Industry Leader in Employment Discrimination Law
- Benchmark Litigation Labor & Employment Star – Northeast in the practice area of Labor & Employment, 2021
- Best Lawyer, Best Lawyers in America, 2008–2022
- Labor & Employment Star - Northeast, Benchmark Litigation, 2020
- Lawdragon 500 Leading Plaintiff Employment Lawyer, Lawdragon, 2020
- Lawdragon 500 Plaintiff Employment Lawyer, Lawdragon, 2019
- Lawyer of Distinction, Lawyers of Distinction, 2019
- Labor & Employment Star - Northeast in the practice area of Labor & Employment, Benchmark Litigation , 2019
- Top Rated Lawyer, Martindale-Hubbell, 2018
- Labor & Employment Star - Northeast in the practice area of Labor & Employment, Benchmark Litigation, 2018
- Rising Star, Lawdragon, 2012
Office location for H. Vincent McKnight, Jr.
700 Pennsylvania Ave. SE
Washington, DC 20003
- Super Lawyers: 2009, 2011 - 2012, 2017 - 2023