Top rated Employment Litigation attorney in Washington, Washington DCThe Employment Law Group, P.C.
Practice Areas: Employment Litigation, Employment & Labor, Civil Rights
Licensed in Washington DC since: 2017
Janel Quinn is a principal at The Employment Law Group® law firm, where she represents whistleblowers who report fraud on the government. Ms. Quinn joined the firm in 2012 and has spent the majority of her time at TELG working with individuals who want to expose and halt schemes to cheat U.S. taxpayers — schemes most often hatched by their employers.
Ms. Quinn seeks protection, vindication, and rewards for her whistleblower clients under the federal False Claims Act (FCA) and its state analogs; under the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act; via the IRS whistleblower rewards program and the Taxpayer First Act; and under the Financial Institutions Anti-Fraud Enforcement Act of 1990, among other statutes. She has worked with whistleblowers to expose fraud against numerous federal agencies, including the U.S. Department of Defense, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the U.S. Department of Education, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, and the National Aeronautics and Space Administration.
Ms. Quinn’s whistleblower practice includes filing qui tam lawsuits in federal courts; submitting robust and actionable tips, complaints, and referrals (TCRs) to the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission; and filing Form 211 disclosures with the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. She works with government prosecutors during their investigation of clients’ allegations; supports the U.S. Department of Justice in its resolution of intervened qui tam matters; and, where necessary, litigates declined FCA matters in federal district courts.
Ms. Quinn also pursues employment claims for clients who are fired or otherwise punished for raising concerns about fraud, wrongdoing, or misconduct in the workplace.
Ms. Quinn’s notable victories for clients include:
- Secured a $12 million award for a whistleblower who alerted the government to Medicare fraud that involved an illegal scheme to boost prescriptions of the drug Nuedexta.
- Supported U.S. prosecutors in their pursuit of a subcontractor alleged to have falsified test results for concrete used in the D.C. area’s Silver Line rail project, while concurrently litigating the whistleblower’s retaliation claims.
Ms. Quinn graduated cum laude from American University Washington College of Law’s evening J.D. program, where she completed numerous practical courses. She received a Bachelor of Science degree in dietetics from James Madison University, also cum laude, with a minor in Political Communication.
Ms. Quinn is a member of the Taxpayers Against Fraud Education Fund, the Federal Bar Association’s Qui Tam Section, and the Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association. In 2022, Super Lawyers recognized her as a “Rising Star.”
First Admitted: 2015, Virginia
Professional Webpage: https://www.employmentlawgroup.com/our-team/attorneys-staff/...
- Member: Taxpayers Against Fraud Education Fund
- Member: Federal Bar Association, Qui Tam Section
- Member: Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association
- American University Washington College of Law (J.D.)
- James Madison University (B.S. in Dietetics)
- United States ex rel. Mahaffey v. Carter Healthcare, $7 million settlement (Read the press release here), 2022
- United States ex rel. Saenz-Cambra v. International Technological University, $1.17 million settlement (Read the press release here), 2021
- United States ex rel. Manieri v. Avanir Pharmaceuticals, Inc., $103 million settlement (Read the press release here), 2019
- Rising Stars: 2022 - 2023