Kimberly A. Wachen
Top Rated Real Estate Attorney in Washington, DC
Kimberly Wachen is a real estate partner at Arent Fox and co-chair of the Hospitality Industry Practice Group. She handles a wide variety of commercial real estate and corporate transactions on a national and local level and is known as the "go-to" attorney for particularly large and/or complex deals. Ms. Wachen has lead numerous commercial real estate transactions ranging from the purchase and sale of individual properties (e.g., hotels, senior living facilities, office buildings, apartment buildings, and shopping centers) to multi-state portfolio purchases and sales of real estate and loan portfolios. She represents real estate investors, developers and managers of large commercial real estate projects. She has particular experience in the negotiation of joint venture, purchase, sale, development, management and financing agreements for hotel and resort properties and senior living facilities. She also has extensive experience in ground leasing and other leasing transactions including large headquarter leases, office space leases, restaurant leases, industrial leases (including refrigerated warehouse space) and retail leases. Ms. Wachen's corporate experience, for both public and privately held companies, includes the structuring and negotiation of acquisitions, mergers, reorganizations and international joint ventures ranging in size from $30 million to $810 million. She has significant experience in equity participations and debt financing arrangements for large real estate projects, including construction loans, mezzanine loans, take-out financing, sale-leaseback transactions, preferred equity, joint ventures and other equity infusion structures.
About Kimberly A. Wachen
First Admitted: 1993, Washington DC
Professional Webpage: https://www.afslaw.com/attorneys/kimberly-wachen
- Recognized as one of Washington DC's "Best Lawyers" by Washingtonian magazine (2011, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2020), Washingtonian magazine
- Rated as a Leading Real Estate Lawyer in Washington, DC by Legal 500 USA (2011-2016 and 2019)
- Recognized as a “Woman of Influence” by the Real Estate Forum (September 2008) and Bisnow “Women of Influence in Commercial Real Estate” (2017)
- Recognized by American Lawyer and Martindale-Hubbell as “Top Rated Lawyer” (2011-2020)
- Selected as the “Leading Real Estate Lawyer” in Washington, DC by the readers of the Legal Times (December 2008) and one of DC’s Top 40 Power Women in Commercial Real Estate by Bisnow (January 2014)
- Ms. Wachen is admitted to practice in the District of Columbia, Maryland and New York. Ms. Wachen is also a member of the Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW).
- Ms. Wachen graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1992 and Duke University in 1988. She earned her certified public accountant license in 1989.
- Senior Living
Last Updated: 8/1/2022