Michael L. Vogelsang, Jr.
Top rated Employment Litigation attorney in Washington, Washington DCThe Employment Law Group, P.C.
Practice Areas: Employment Litigation, Employment & Labor, Civil Rights
Licensed in Washington DC since: 2011
Languages Spoken: English, Spanish
Michael L. Vogelsang, Jr., is a principal at The Employment Law Group® law firm, where he frequently handles cases that involve whistleblower retaliation, employment discrimination, wrongful termination, and other workplace claims. He has been with the firm since 2007. He has been recognized by Super Lawyers as a “Rising Star” and by Lawdragon as one of the top 500 plaintiff-side employment and civil rights lawyers in the country. In its 2023 edition, The Best Lawyers in America honored him for his skill in employment law and litigation.
During his time with the firm, Mr. Vogelsang has gained extensive experience representing federal employees. He has handled scores of cases across several dozen departments and agencies, including the Department of Defense, the Department of State, the Department of Homeland Security, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the Central Intelligence Agency, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Department of Commerce, the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, and numerous others.
Mr. Vogelsang’s federal employee work includes responding to adverse personnel actions; filing whistleblower complaints with the Office of Special Counsel; litigating discrimination claims before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission; and representing federal employees in appeals at the Merit Systems Protection Board.
Mr. Vogelsang has co-chaired private-sector jury trials in federal courts in the Eastern District of Virginia and the District of Colorado. He is active in the LGBT community and has litigated sexual orientation discrimination cases in both state and federal court.
Mr. Vogelsang’s notable victories for clients include:
- An award of approximately $400,000 in damages and fees in a retaliation complaint against a cabinet agency
- An award of more than $200,000 in emotional-distress damages in a sexual harassment case against a federal agency
- The grant of default judgment by the EEOC in multiple cases due to agencies’ failure to follow federal regulations when investigating discrimination complaints
- Confirmation of the extraterritorial application of AIR 21’s whistleblower protections to U.S. airline employees who face retaliation outside the United States
Mr. Vogelsang received his law degree from the American University, Washington College of Law and is a member of the Virginia State Bar and D.C. Bar. He graduated summa cum laude from the American University’s School of International Service, receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree in International Studies. He spent a semester abroad studying Latin American culture and language in Santiago, Chile, and is conversant in Spanish.
First Admitted: 2009, Virginia
Professional Webpage: https://www.employmentlawgroup.com/our-team/attorneys-staff/...
- Recognized in: Employment Law - Individuals, Litigation - Labor and Employment, The Best Lawyers in America
- , Top 500 Leading Plaintiff Employment Lawyers, Lawdragon
- Member: National LGBT Bar
- Member: D.C. LGBT Bar
- Member: National Employment Lawyers Association
- Member: American Bar Association
- Member: Metropolitan Washington Employment Lawyers Association
- American University, Washington College of Law (J.D., 2008)
- American University (B.A. in International Studies, 2004)
- Rising Stars: 2019