Timothy L. Austin
Top Rated Estate Planning & Probate Attorney in Bellevue, WA
Born and raised in Washington, Timothy L. Austin is a member of Betts Austin, PLLC. Located in Bellevue, he represents people and businesses throughout the greater Seattle area, including King and Pierce counties. Mr. Austin has been admitted to practice in Washington since 1975, and he is also admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, the U.S. Tax Court and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit.
Mr. Austin focuses a significant portion of his practice on estate planning, helping his clients preserve and protect their assets through his preparation and review of wills, living and irrevocable trusts, powers of attorney and advance health care directives. He has also guided beneficiaries, executors and administrators through what can often be a confusing process of probate, along the way helping ensure that all required federal and state tax returns are filed in a timely manner, creditors are paid and the remaining assets are distributed in accordance with the decedent’s wishes.
Mr. Austin has a thriving and sophisticated tax practice as well, in which he provides advice to people and companies on transactions and other matters. In this regard, he also acts as counsel to a commercial aviation law firm, handling the various domestic and international tax issues that arise out of the purchase, operation and sale of business aircraft. He additionally provides advice and counsel to entrepreneurs and other business owners on mergers and acquisitions.
Mr. Austin holds a Bachelor of Arts in business administration magna cum laude from the University of Washington, a Juris Doctor from the University of Washington School of Law and an LL.M. in taxation from the University of Florida Levin College of Law. Highly regarded by his colleagues, he possesses an AV Preeminent* peer review rating through Martindale-Hubbell.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
About Timothy L. Austin
First Admitted: 1975, Washington
Professional Webpage: https://www.bettsaustin.com/about
Pro bono/Community Service
- Seattle Estate Planning Council
- Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Washington State Bar Association, Tax Section, Real Property Probate and Trust Section
- King County Bar Association
- University of Florida Levin College of Law - LLM in Taxation (Top Graduate of Class of 1981), 1981
- University of Washington Foster School of Business, B.A., magna cum laude, 1972, Phi Beta Kappa
- Seattle Estate Planning Council Washington Society of Certified Public Accountants, 2021
- Washington State, United States Tax Court, United States District Court, Western District of Washington, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Certified Public Accountant (Inactive) , 2021
Last Updated: 5/15/2022