- Western Washington University, B.A.
Laura A. Sell
Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Kirkland, WA
A partner at McKinley Irvin, Laura A. Sell focuses her practice exclusively on family law matters. She is also the firm's law practice managing partner, and she is located at its office in Seattle, Washington. Ms. Sell concentrates primarily on divorces involving complex issues of marital asset and debt division, with many of her statewide clients being high-profile professionals and business owners. She is admitted to practice before all Washington state courts.
Many of Ms. Sell's cases involve the valuation of business interests as well as issues regarding noncash compensation such as restricted stock options. Her background enables her to place a value on these items when it comes to making a determination on property division and spousal support. Ms. Sell has extensive mediation experience and in negotiating divorce settlement agreements, and she often assists her clients in reaching an accord on some of the pertinent legal issues through the use of one or both of those alternative dispute resolution methods. However, her background also includes her having tried many cases in court, and thus she will forcefully advocate for her clients in front of a judge when and if advisable.
As an undergraduate, Ms. Sell attended Western Washington University in Bellingham, and she received a Bachelor of Arts in 1992. Her legal education came at the University of Dayton School of Law, from which she obtained her Juris Doctor in 1998. Ms. Sell's professional experience prior to joining McKinley Irvin in May 2016 included practicing family law with a major international law firm. Her affiliations include the Family Law Section of the Washington State Bar Association and the International Academy of Collaborative Professionals. Highly regarded by her colleagues, Ms. Sell has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America, and she has received a 10.0 "Superb" peer review rating through Avvo.
About Laura A. Sell
First Admitted: 1999, Washington
Professional Webpage: https://www.mckinleyirvin.com/Attorney-Profiles/Laura-Sell.a...
"Protecting Your Practice from Divorce: Tips for Solo and Small-Firm Practitioners," author, King County Bar Bulletin, October 2016
- “Financial Wisdom for Women,” co-presenter with RoseMary Reed and Cornerstone Advisors, June 2015
- “Investigation Issues - Who, What, When, Where and Why,” co-presenter with Aviva Kamm, Employment Law Institute CLE, King County Bar Association, September 2015
- “Internal Investigations - Who, What, When Where and Why,” co-presenter with Aviva Kamm, Stokes Lawrence Employment Law Institute, December 2015
- "Dissolution from A-Z," Program Chair, King County Bar Association CLE, May 2017
- “The Non-Biological Parent; Washington Creates a Common-Law Parentage Cause of Action,” co-author, Matrimonial Strategist, May 2005
- “Post-Dissolution Disputes Involving Neglected Assets and Liabilities,” co-author, Matrimonial Strategist, February 2008
“Prenuptial Agreement Basics,” author, blog post, Stokes Lawrence Washington Divorce & Family Law, July 2015
- “Spousal Maintenance,” chapter co-author with James McGuire, LexisNexis Practice Guide: Washington Family Law, 2016
- King County Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Association of Workplace Investigators
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (IACP)
- QLaw: The LGBT Bar Association of Washington
- Washington State Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Washington State Bar Association, Alternative Dispute Resolution
- American Bar Association
Distinguished as a Washington Super Lawyerby Super Lawyers®, 2018
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in the field of Family Law, 2019
Last Updated: 5/15/2022