Brad A. Meryhew
Top rated Criminal Defense attorney in Seattle, WashingtonThe Meryhew Law Group, PLLC
Attorney Brad A. Meryhew is the founder and owner of The Meryhew Law Group, PLLC, in Seattle, Washington. Nationally recognized as among the top trial lawyers in the country, Mr. Meryhew devotes his practice to defending the rights and liberties of those accused of sexual misconduct in criminal proceedings. He has become a recognized authority in defending sex crime allegations, as well as advocating for more just and reasonable legislation and policies regarding convicted sex offenders.
Mr. Meryhew is a graduate of the University of Puget Sound/Seattle University School of Law where he finished cum laude and a member of the Law Journal. He began his legal career as a public defender with Society of Counsel Representing Accused Persons (SCRAP) in Seattle. At SCRAP, he worked in the felony trial unit and as a member of the management team.
In 2003 Mr. Meryhew entered private practice focused exclusively on the representation of adults and juveniles charged with sexual misconduct in state and federal courts. He has since represented well over 1,000 individuals on sexually related offenses. Mr. Meryhew tried his first felony offense to a jury verdict on a sex offense in 1998 while with the public defender’s office. He has since tried scores of felony sex offenses to a jury verdict in King, Pierce, Snohomish, Clallam, Skagit and Whatcom Counties. He also appears regularly representing individuals accused of sexual misconduct in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington and has represented persons accused of sex offenses in the Superior Courts throughout Washington, including King, Snohomish, Skagit, Whatcom, Island, Pierce, Thurston, Grays Harbor, Cowlitz, Clark, Kittitas, Klickitat, Kitsap, Douglas, Yakima, Benton, Spokane and Stevens counties.
Mr. Meryhew currently serves as the Chair of the Washington Sex Offender Policy Board, where he has been a member for 12 years. Mr. Meryhew regularly testifies before the Legislature regarding legislation that affects the sex offender management system in a variety of ways.
Over the course of his 24 years in practice, Mr. Meryhew has successfully handled numerous high-profile sex offense cases for a broad range of clients, from teachers and coaches to group home counselors, day care operators and elected officials. He has achieved a strong record of success at felony jury trials, and is known for his skill and success with these cases particularly.
Mr. Meryhew has served on the Washington State Sex Offender Policy Board continuously since 2008 representing the Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the Washington Defender Association. He currently serves as Chair of the Sex Offender Policy Board as they prepare a report for the Legislature and the Governor regarding Less Restrictive Alternative placements in the community for Sexually Violent Predators. He has conducted numerous lectures and seminars before various professional legal organizations throughout the country regarding sex offenders' rights and the sex offender management system and sex offender registry requirements. Mr. Meryhew developed a method for preparing clients for spychosexual evaluations that was published in Champion magazine of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawers. From his efforts, he has become a champion for making logically sound and evidence-based legislation and policy regarding sex offender registries and many aspects of sex offender policy in Washington.
In recognition for his outstanding professionalism and dedication to his cause, Mr. Meryhew received a certificate of appreciation in 2008 and 2010 from the Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers for his contributions to sex offender policies and legislations. He has also received numerous pro bono awards from the Washington State Bar Association for his selfless service to others, and he has earned top client ratings from Martindale-Hubbell and other peer review sources. In addition, he has received 10 out of 10 client ratings on Avvo.
Mr. Meryhew attended Western Washington University for two years before completing his undergraduate studies at The University of Utah, where he graduated in 1980. He then worked as an instructor for two years while attending graduate school in political communications from the University of Maryland, College Park, from 1981 to 1983.
Upon deciding to pursue his legal career, he attended the University of Puget Sound School of Law (now Seattle University School of Law) and obtained his Juris Doctor cum laude in 1994. While there, he was a member of the school's law review and student bar association, as well as an active participant in its moot court. He is admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington.
Mr. Meryhew is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, the Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers the Washington Defenders Association, the American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children, the Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers, and the Washington Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers.
Practice areasCriminal Defense, Government Relations
Criminal Law, False Accusations, Felony, Juvenile Delinquency, Sex Offenses
- 90% Criminal Defense
- 10% Government Relations
First Admitted: 1997, Washington
Professional Webpage: https://www.meryhewlaw.com/brad-a-meryhew.html
- Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA, 1976–1978
- University of Maryland, Masters Program: Political Communications, College Park, Maryland, 1981 - 1983
- University of Utah, B.S., Major: Political Science/International Relations, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1978-1980
- Washington State Superior Court Judges Association
- Presented on juvenile sex offender defense, risk assessment, and legal tools available to assist these clients., Presenter, Juvenile Sex Offender Defense, University of Washington School of Law, 2010
- Presented half day seminar along with Sr. Deputy Prosecuting Attorney from adjoining County on practical tips and problems with testifying for psychological experts., Presenter, Testifying in Court for Sexual Deviancy Evaluators, Washington Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers Annual Conference, 2010
- Updated Washington Juvenile Rehabilitation Authority treatment coordinators on recent changes in the law and the best methods to remove sex offender registration and have the sex offense record sealed., Presenter, Juvenile Sex Offender Registration and Record Sealing, Washington Juvenile Rehabilitation Authority, Sex Offense Treatment Coordinators Training, 2011
- Presented on the changes in the law regarding sex offender registration and sealing juvenile sex offense records., Presenter, Sex Offender Registration and Sealing in Washington, Changes in the Law, Washington Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers, Monthly Training, 2011
- Presented at February, 2012 National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers CLE on sex offenses on the topic of representation of juveniles charged with sex offenses., Presenter, Representing Juveniles Charge with Sex Offenses, National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Conference, Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, 2012
- Review of Legislative action in regards to sex offenses during the Washington Legislature's 2008 session., Author, Sex Offense Legislation: Still the crime du jour, but some efforts to calm the rhetoric., Defense Magazine, Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2008
- Inside The Minds: Juvenile Criminal Defense Strategies Leading Lawyers on Examining Recent Trends in Juvenile Law and Building a Successful Defense., Author, Representing Juveniles Charged with Sex Offenses, Thompson Reuters Publishing, 2011
- Inside The Minds: Strategies for Defending Sex Crimes Leading Lawyers on Understanding the Current Sex Crimes Environment and Building a Thorough Defense, Thomson Reuters/Aspatore, Author, The Use and Abuse of Psychosexual Evaluations: Preparing Your Client for the Most Important Interview of Their Lives, Thompson Reuters Publishing, 2011
- Round up of legislative advances from the 2011 Legislative session in regards to sex offender management and sex offender registration., Author, Sex Offender Registration Changes: Additional reforms proposed by SOPB pass Legislature., Defense Magazine, Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2011
- Summary of recent changes in Washington's sex offender registration laws and a guide to getting client's off of sex offender registration and community notification., Author, Sex Offender Registration: Getting the Monkey off Their Backs, Defense Magazine, Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2012
- Presented webinar on community based treatment options for sex offenders as an alternative to prison. Presented the findings and report of the Washington Sex Offender Policy Board regarding the Special Sexual Offender Sentencing Alternative and discussed various ways attorneys could strengthen their advocacy for treatment as an alternative to prison., Presenter, Advocating for Community Based Treatment over Prison for Sex Offenders, Washington Defender Association, 2014
- Presenter, Community Based Sex Offender Treatment, Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2014
- Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Presenter, The Indeterminate Sentence Review Board: How to Avoid Life in Prison, 2013
- The Criminalization and Stigmatization of HIV: Washington Law and Proposed Changes, Presenter, LIfelong AIDS Alliance Community Forum, 2013
- Presenter, The Science and Practice of Representing Juveniles Accused of Sex Offenses, Street Youth Leal Advocates of Washington, University of Washington School of Law, 2012
- Lunch time CLE Series presentation to public defenders who represent juveniles accused of sex offenses. , Presenter, Sex Offender Registration Removal and Sealing the Record in Washington, Snohomish Department of Assigned Counsel, 2012
- Web case Training for current and future Department of Developmental Disabilities caseworkers and managers regarding the procedures and methods to help their clients get relieved of the duty to register ans a sex offender, and how to seal those records of conviction for juvenile sex offenses., Presenter, Relief from Sex Offender Registration and Sealing the Record for Clients with Intellectual Disabilities, Washington Department of Developmental Disabilities, 2012
- Presented over two days to classes on child interviewing at the Washington Criminal Justice Training Center as co-presenter with Senior Deputy Prosecuting Attorney., Guest Speaker, Child Interviewing Clinic: Legal Considerations and Effective Testimony, American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children, 2012
- In house lunch time CLE., Presenter, The Use and Abuse of Psychosexual Evaluations, The Defender Association, 2011
- Presented at semi annual CLE on Sex Offense Defense., Presenter, The Use and Abuse of Psychosexual Evaluations, Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2010
- Presented at annual retreat of WATSA., Presenter, How Attorneys Can Work Better with Sexual Deviancy Treatment Providers, Washington Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers, 2009
- Presented at annual unit retreat., Presenter, Legal Issues in Domestic Violence Investigations: Ethical Dilemmas to Avoid, Society of Counsel Representing Accused Persons, 2003
- Presented on issues related to juvenile sex offender defense, risk assessment and tools for working with these clients., Presenter, Representing Juveniles Accused of Sex Offenses, University of Washington School of Law, 2011
- Presented on issues related to representing clients with HIV, TB and other communicable illnesses in county jails and the prison system., Presenter, Defending Clients with Special Needs, Washington Defender Association, 1998
- CLE for felony and misdemeanour attorneys., Presenter, Voir Dire in Domestic Violence Cases, Society of Counsel Representing Accused Persons, 2001
- Presented on panel in regards to issues related to the representation of the mentally ill in criminal courts., Panelist, Working with Mentally Ill Offenders, King County Legislative Roundtable on Mental Health, 2002
- Provided the defense perspective for DV advocates to enable them to work more effectively with counsel for fair and reasonable resolutions to DV cases., Panelist, Working with Defense Attorneys for DV Advocates, Washington Domestic Violence Advocates Conference, 2002
- Presented on sexual deviancy evaluations along with panel of evaluators and polygraphers., Co-Chair, Presenter, Defending the Indefensible: Sex offense Defense, Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2007
- Presented on issues related to juvenile sex offenders, including sex offender registration and community notification, and methods for getting those burdens lifted., Presenter, Annual Staff Retreat, Team Child, 2009
- Presented on techniques for preparing for and interviewing uncooperative and hostile witnesses, using my sex offense defense practice as a model., Presenter, Uncooperative and Absent Witnesses, Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers Annual Conference, 2009
- Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- National Wildlife Federation
- American Civil Liberties Union
- Washington Association for the Treatment of Sexual Abusers
- American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children
- Washington Defender Association
- King County Bar Association
- Washington State Bar Association
- Federal Bar, Western District of Washington
- Chair, Washington Sex Offender Policy Board as representative of Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and Washington Defender Association. In this position I have successfully advocated for significant changes to the state sex offender registration rules as well as a great number of other successful policy initiatives in the Washington Legislature. The SOPB is tasked with preparing reports summarizing the relevant research and making recommendations regarding policy in Washington state to the Legislature on specific topics. Recent reports have included the Special Sexual Offender Sentencing Alternative, sex offender housing and residency restrictions, the Adam Walsh Act, online sexting, community notification and juvenile sex offenders.
- Washington Bar Association Pro Bono Award, 2006
- Washington Bar Association Pro Bono Award, 2009
- Governor's Sex Offender Management Discussion Group, 2007
- Washington Bar Association Pro Bono Award, 2005
- Washington Bar Association Pro Bono Award, 2008
- Washington Bar Association Pro Bono Award, 2011
- Washington Bar Association Pro Bono Award, 2004
- Washington Bar Association Pro Bono Award, 2007
- Washington Bar Association Pro Bono Award, 2010
- Washington Sex Offender Policy Board Member, Representing the Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and Washington Defender Association., 2008
- Washington Bar Association Pro Bono Award, 2003
- Given award for work as member of the Washington Sex Offender Policy Board on Legislative issues during the 2010 Legislative session when major sex offender registration reforms supported by the Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers was enacted by the Washington Legislature., Certificate of Appreciation, Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2010
- Given award for work on various Legislative issues primarily related to sex offender management and policy, Certificate of Appreciation, Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2008
- , Brad Meryhew on Our Philosophy as a Firm, 2011
- Internet Sting Clients. We have been representing persons caught up in online stings with fictitious minors since 1998. These cases are difficult, and at first glance they don't appear to offer much hope of a defense. But we have found that upon closer examination they are not always as strong as they seem. Where the case against our clients is strong we are specialists in getting favorable psychosexual evaluations and finding ways to mitigate the impact on our clients with a good resolution., 2020
- Child Pornography Clients. We have extensive experience working with clients charged with possession and distribution of child pornography in State and Federal Courts. Brad Meryhew has been helping people with these cases since 1998. The key to a successful outcome is appropriate evaluation and treatment, and we have developed very successful protocols and methods to get those done., 2020
- Relief from Sex Offender Registration clients. We help a large number of people since 2007 to get off of the sex offender registration rolls by bringing petitions to the Court for relief. A large number of those clients were convicted as juveniles and are otherwise very low risk to re-offend. It is very gratifying to be agble to help those client live healthy, happy and successful lives once this barrier is removed from their lives., 2020
Office location for Brad A. Meryhew
Seattle, WA 98122
- Super Lawyers: 2020 - 2023