Top Rated Criminal Defense Attorney in Seattle, WA
Selected to Rising Stars: 2010 - 2013
As the founding member of of Black & Askerov, PLLC, Christopher “Chris” Black handles criminal law cases on behalf of people in Seattle, Washington. He successfully defends clients against charges that include the following: drug, sex, white collar and violent crimes; theft; domestic violence; appeals; and state and federal issues.
Mr. Black is widely known and respected by both peers and clients alike. He has been listed in The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100; he was elected to serve as president of the Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers; and he holds an Avvo “Superb” rating.
These accolades are based on having a career full of “wins” on behalf of people accused of a crime. Through finding issues with the prosecution’s case and creating persuasive arguments, Mr. Black often secures case dismissals, acquittals and reduced sentences. He has experience in state and federal courts, including at the appellate level. In addition to litigation, Mr. Black also advises clients of their rights in pre-arrest situations, such as when someone is being investigated or if someone is involved in a situation in which a criminal charge or culpability could be involved.
An active member of the legal community, Mr. Black is involved with the Federal Bar Association, the Washington State Bar Association and is a long-time member of the board of the Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers.
In 1997, Mr. Black earned a Bachelor of Arts in economics and graduated with honors from Johns Hopkins University. He then received a Juris Doctor from the University of Washington School of Law.
Outside his practice, Mr. Black formerly led the board of directors for the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project.
About Christopher Black
First Admitted: 2001, Washington
Professional Webpage: https://blacklawseattle.com/chris-black/
- Johns Hopkins University, B.A., with Honors, 1997
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers, The National Trial Lawyers, 2014
- Super Lawyer every year, since 2014.
- Discussed issues commonly arising in defense of drug charges., Speaker, WACDL- Defending Drug Cases, 2019
- Federal criminal defense training regarding the Armed Career Criminal Act, 18 U.S.C. 922, 18 U.S.C. 924, and the Hobbs Act, Speaker, CJA Training: Guns and Violence, 2020
- Co-presented seminar regarding immigration issues relevant to criminal defense lawyers., Speaker, WACDL Annual Conference- Immigration Issues for Defense Lawyers, 2017
- Discussed issues of importance to criminal lawyers building a practice., Speaker, WACDL- Forging Your Criminal Defense Practice, 2016
- President of the Board of Governors of the Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2019
- The National Trial Lawyers- Top 100, 2019
- Consulate Of Mexico, Consulting Criminal Law Attorney, 2019
- President, Board of Directors, Northwest Immigrant Rights Project, 2009-2011
- Federal Bar Association, 2019
- Federal Bar, Eastern District of Washington, 2019
- Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, 2019
- Federal Bar, Western District of Washington, 2019
- Northwest Immigrant Rights Project (Past Board President)
- Washington State Bar
- Bar of the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (Federal Appeals Court), 2019
Last Updated: 5/15/2022