Derek W. Loeser
Top Rated Class Action & Mass Torts Attorney in Seattle, WA
Selected to Rising Stars: 2005 - 2007
Derek is a senior partner in Keller Rohrback’s nationally recognized Complex Litigation Group and a member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
Derek's passion for holding large corporations accountable for wrongdoing has helped recover billions of dollars for consumers, retirees, governments and institutions. He has served in leadership roles in major complex cases across the country. Currently, he is co-lead counsel in In re Facebook, Inc. Consumer Privacy User Profile Litigation, the MDL litigation against Facebook stemming from the Facebook Cambridge Analytica scandal.
Derek also serves as lead counsel for the Wells Fargo unauthorized account consumer class action. In this case, Derek and the Keller Rohrback team achieved a $142 million settlement requiring the bank to refund all improper fees and provide first-of-its kind credit damage reimbursement, among other relief, to Wells Fargo customers.
In addition to his class action work, Derek helps manage the Keller Rohrback team representing state and local government entities in a number of matters involving significant public health crises. For example, Derek leads the Keller Rohrback team litigating government cases against opioid manufacturers and distributors in The National Prescription Opioid Litigation. In the Opioid MDL, Derek serves on the Expert and Law & Briefing Committees, and directs the litigation against a major generic opioid manufacturer. He also represents school districts and counties in litigation against the e-cigarette company, JUUL, for targeting and addicting youth. These cases are quintessential examples of the type of litigation Derek and the Keller Rohrback team fervently pursue: corporate fraud and malfeasance causing serious harm to the public.
Some of Derek’s other notable cases include mortgage-backed securities cases on behalf of the Federal Home Loan Banks of Chicago, Indianapolis and Boston; ERISA class cases on behalf of employees whose retirement savings were decimated by corporate fraud and abuse on the part of Enron, WorldCom, Countrywide, and Washington Mutual, among others. He has also litigated fraud, RICO, and antitrust cases against drug manufacturers, pharmacy benefit managers, and insurance companies for conspiring to drive up the cost of life-saving medications such as insulin.
Many of Derek’s cases have required coordinating with state and federal agencies involved in litigation that parallels cases pursued by Keller Rohrback, including state attorneys general, the Department of Justice, and the Department of Labor. In addition, Derek has extensive experience negotiating complex, multi-party settlements, and coordinating with the many parties and counsel necessary to accomplish this. He is also frequently asked to speak at national conferences about class actions, public health litigation, ERISA, and other complex litigation topics.
Before joining Keller Rohrback, Derek served as a law clerk for the Honorable Michael R. Hogan, U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon. He was also employed as a trial attorney in the Employment Litigation Section of the Civil Rights Division of the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C.
About Derek W. Loeser
First Admitted: 1994, Washington
Professional Webpage: https://www.krcomplexlit.com/attorney/derek-w-loeser/
- Derek and the Complex Litigation team have successfully litigated ERISA class cases on behalf of employees of Enron, WorldCom, Countrywide, and Washington Mutual, among others, whose retirement savings were decimated by corporate fraud and abuse.
- Derek and the Complex Litigation team have sucessfully litigated mortgage-backed securities cases on behalf of the Federal Home Loan Banks of Chicago, Indianapolis and Boston.
- Derek and the Keller Rohrback Complex Litigation team achieved a $142 million settlement that requires Wells Fargo to refund all improper fees, and provide first-of-its kind credit damage reimbursement, among other relief, to Wells Fargo customers., 2017
- Middlebury College – B.A., summa cum laude, 1989, American Literature, Stolley-Ryan American Literature Prize (highest departmental honors), Phi Beta Kappa , 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 2014
- New York, 2017
- Class Action & Data Breach Litigation, Santa Barbara, CA, March, Speaker, 2016
- VW Diesel Emissions Litigation: A Case Study of the Interplay Between Government Regulatory Activity and Consumer Fraud Class Actions Law Seminars International, May 6, Panelist, Law Seminars International, 2016
- Trends in Auto Defect Litigation, Seattle, WA, May, Speaker, 2017
- Current Landscape of Opioid Litigation,HarrisMartin's National Opioid Litigation Conference, Chicago, IL October, Panelist, https://harrismartin.com/conference/agenda/906/, HarrisMartin, 2017
- Opioid Litigation Landscape: Venues, Jurisdictional Hurdles, Defenses and Cause of Action, HarrisMartin's MDL Conference: Opioid, Equifax & Talcum Powder, St. Louis, MO, November, Panelist, https://harrismartin.com/conference/agenda/933/, 2017
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated Top Lawyer. This rating is the gold standard in attorney ratings, recognizing lawyers rated by their peers for their strong legal ability and high ethical standards. An elite group of approximately 10 percent of all attorneys hold an AV Preeminent Rating, a designation trusted worldwide by buyers and referrers of legal services., AV Peer Review Top-Rated Laywer, Martindale-Hubbell, 2018
- Listed as Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America 2018, Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America, 2018
Articles about Derek W. Loeser appearing in Super Lawyers
Last Updated: 5/15/2022