James R. Dixon
Top rated criminal defense attorney in Seattle, WashingtonDixon & Cannon, Ltd
I am a navy veteran and a graduate of Berkeley Law School (Boalt Hall). For 32 years I have successfully fought for my clients at every court level in Washington, from municipal court to the Washington State Supreme Court. During this time, I have come to embrace certain ideals. I do not pick needless fights, I treat my opponents with respect, and I do not back down from a necessary fight. I adhere to the old Roman adage, “If you want peace, prepare for war.” To attain a favorable settlement, you must prepare the case for trial. I take the time to fully understand and investigate each client’s story so that a successful settlement can be reached, or a jury trial won. I apply these principles at Dixon & Cannon, Ltd., where I focus upon criminal defense, personal injury, and appeals.
As a criminal defense attorney, I have successfully defended clients in hundreds of jury trials, bench trials, motions hearings and appeals. I recognize that for many of my clients, a shoplifting charge may be as devastating to their employment as a felony conviction, and treat each accusation against my clients with the seriousness it deserves. I have been invited to speak at legal conferences about search warrant challenges and the creative use of evidentiary rules to effectively tell our clients’ stories.
Prior to co-founding Dixon & Cannon, Ltd., I was a senior trial attorney for a national insurance company, and was selected to serve in a specialized unit that focused on protecting individuals against fraudulent claims. I was also responsible for training other attorneys at the office regarding legal developments and current practices in this area of law. I now use the knowledge I gained working for insurance companies to ensure my clients are fairly compensated.
As an appellate attorney, I have obtained new trials or outright dismissals for clients convicted of various crimes, including DUI, robbery, vehicular assault, murder, VUCSA, three strikes offenses and sex offenses.
When not practicing law, I enjoy camping or taking part in multi-sport vacations with my wife and two sons. I also enjoy live jazz, single malt scotch, a good game of chess, and rousing conversation with friends and family.
As an attorney, I work with people going through difficult times. I consider it an honor to represent and guide my clients through challenging life circumstances. My clients enrich my life and it is gratifying to know I have made a difference in theirs.
Practice areasCriminal defense, Personal injury - general: plaintiff, Appellate
Assault & battery, Criminal law, False accusations, Felony, Misdemeanor, Sex offenses, Theft, Criminal domestic violence, Assault, Motor vehicle accidents, Personal injury - plaintiff, Slip and fall, Wrongful death, Brain injury, Appeals
First Admitted: 1988, Washington
Professional Webpage: http://www.dixoncannon.com/attorney-james-dixon/
- U.S. Federal 9th Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Federal District Court Bar, Member, 2005
- Washington State Association for Justice, Eagle Member
- Washington Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member
- Washington State Association for Justice, Rules Committee
- Washington State Bar, Member
- Washington State Bar Court, Former Rules Committee Member
- Gerry Spence Trial Lawyers College, 2014
- Presentation to other criminal defense lawyers on the most effective means of challenging search warrants, Speaker, Challenging Search Warrants, 2017
- Effectively Advising Criminal Clients About Related Civil Claims, Speaker, Washington Defender Association, 2015
- Use of Particular Vulnerability Instructions at Trial, Speaker, Washington State Association for Justice, 2013
- Maximizing Settlements with insurance Companies, Speaker, Washington State Association for Justice Roundtable, 2013
- Challenging Search Warrants, Speaker, Washington Defender Association, 2010
- Understanding ER 404(b), Speaker, Washington Defender Association, 2006
- The Defense Perspective, Speaker, Washington State Trial Lawyers Association, 2006
- A seminar for trial attorneys on how to make proper objections to hold the trial courts accountable for bad rulings, Presenter, Making the Record, Washington Defender Association, 2016
Office location for James R. Dixon
601 Union St., Suite 3230
Seattle, WA 98101
- Super Lawyers: 2017 - 2022