Top Rated Family Law Attorney in Tacoma, WA
Selected to Rising Stars: 2012
The attorney behind Carlsen Law Offices, PLLC, Ms. Laura Carlsen advocates for the rights and best interests of families in Tacoma, Washington. With 14 years of legal experience, she assists her clients with virtually any family legal issue they may face, including divorce, child custody, visitation, child support, family law appeals, domestic violence, military divorce, post-divorce modifications and enforcements, and division of marital property and debt.
A graduate of the University of California, Berkeley, Ms. Carlsen obtained her Bachelor of Arts in sociology and political science in 2002. She pursued her legal education at the University of Oregon School of Law and was a part of the Moot Court Board. She also served among the managing board of the Oregon Law Review and received her Juris Doctor in 2008. As a law student, she participated in the Bay Area Urban Debate League and became a nationally ranked debater.
A pragmatic advocate, Ms. Carlsen has a wealth of litigation experience and prides herself on her ability to think outside of the box. An eloquent writer, she has authored a number of scholarly articles for prominent journals and is frequently requested by legal and educational organizations to speak and present on family law topics.
Staying involved in the legal community is important to Ms. Carlsen. She maintains active memberships in the family law sections of several professional legal associations such as the American Bar Association, the Washington State Bar Association, the King County Bar Association and the Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association.
A highly regarded family law attorney, Ms. Carlsen received a significant rating of AV Preeminent* from Martindale-Hubbell, the organization’s highest available rating awarded to attorneys with high professional and ethical standards.
Ms. Carlsen also regularly volunteers to provide legal services to low-income citizens and the underrepresented groups in Washington. She provided pro bono services through the King County Bar Association Neighborhood Legal Clinics.
*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™ fall into two categories – legal ability and general ethical standards.
- 90%Family Law
Alimony & Spousal Support, Child Support, Custody & Visitation, Dissolution, Divorce, Domestic Violence, Juvenile Law, Name Change, Paternity, Marital Property, Same Sex Family Law, Father's Rights, Appeals
- Super Lawyers: 2013 - 2022
- Rising Stars: 2012
Articles about Laura Carlsen appearing in Super Lawyers
About Laura Carlsen
First Admitted: 2008, Washington
Professional Webpage: https://www.carlsenlawoffices.com/attorney/carlsen-laura/
Pro bono/Community Service
- Volunteer, King County Bar Association Legal Clinic
- Washington State Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- Tutor, Legal Research and Writing, University of Oregon School of Law
- King County Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- Young Lawyers Association, Member
- Pierce County Bar Association, Family Law Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section - Military Committee
- University of California at Berkeley, B.A. in Sociology and B.A. in Political Science
- Listed in "Top 50: Women Washington Super Lawyers" 2014-2016
- Top Tier: Nationally Ranked Debater, Bay Area Urban Debate League
- Distinguished as a Washington Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers®, 2013-2016
- Editor, Notes and Comments, Oregon Law Review, University of Oregon School of Law
- Rated AV Preeminent, Martindale Hubbell, 2016
- Distinguished as a Washington Rising Star by Super Lawyers®, 2012
- Moot Court: Placed in top tier positions three consecutive years: Negotiations Competition, University of Oregon School of Law
- "Military Moms and Dads: How to Protect the Rights of Deployed Parents," Tacoma-Pierce County Bar News, 2010
- "Military Family Law Practice Tips," King County Bar Association CLE, 2010
- "Military Pensions," Washington State Bar Association CLE on Retirement Assets and Domestic Relations, Presenter, 2011
- "Technological Developments Create New Opportunities in the Courtroom," Pierce County Lawyer (Tacoma-Pierce County Bar Association), July/ August 2014
- Skype Testimony: New Opportunities for Litigation Technology, King County Bar Bulletin, 2014
- "Can I Testify via Skype?" Using Videoconferencing Technology to Enhance Remote Witness Testimony, NW Sidebar, 2014
Last Updated: 5/15/2022