Terry P. Abeyta
Top rated personal injury attorney in Yakima, WashingtonAbeyta Nelson Injury Law
Although practicing in one of the most convervative areas in Washington state, Terry P. Abeyta of Abeyta Nelson Injury Law has been recognized as one of the leading personal injury lawyers in the state. He recovered almost $7 million on a fall off 60-year-old bleachers, $6.25 million on a car-truck crash, $4.1 million in a multi-vehicle crash, $3.5 million for a fall from playgound equipment, and $1.6 million in an underinsured motorist arbitration, the highest in the history of Yakima County. He has the highest personal injury settlements in Yakima, Franklin, Kittitas, Grant, and Klickitat Counties. He has the highest jury verdict for a cervical strain in the history of Yakima County.
A native of Yakima, Abeyta worked his way through college and law school as a newspaper reporter. He attended Yakima Valley College for two years and after graduating at the top of his class from Whitman College in Walla Walla, Washington, Abeyta earned his law degree from the University of Washington School of Law in 1976. In addition to being involved in many significant cases throughout his career, Abeyta has also authored articles on legal topics and served as a speaker at a variety of litigation conferences and seminars. He has authored chapters in several deskbooks.
He is a member by invitation and past president of the Damage Attorney’s Round Table, a small group of the state's best trial lawyers, has been listed as a Super Lawyer every year since 1999, was the first plaintiff's lawyer from Central Washington named to The Best Lawyers in America list, is a past president of the Washington Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates, and was recognized as one of the “Leading 500 Plaintiff’s Lawyers in America” by Lawdragon as a result of a case involving a tribal jail suicide that lead to a record-breaking settlement in 1999 and again in 2019.
Abeyta has served in many leadership roles for the Washington State Association for Justice and is a former president of the Yakima County Bar Association. He was recently named 2018 Alumnus of the Year by Yakima Valley College.
His law firm has been named a Best Law Firm by U.S. News & World Report. Abeyta Nelson has been chosen in 2017, 2018 and 2019 as Best Law Firm and Best Personal Injury Attorney by readers of the Yakima Herald-Republic newspaper and as Best Attorney by readers of the Yakima Valley Business Times.
Practice areasPersonal injury - general: plaintiff
Animal bites, Assault, Motor vehicle accidents, Personal injury - plaintiff, Slip and fall, Wrongful death, Dram shop laws, Construction accident, Brain injury, Sexual abuse - plaintiff, Trucking accidents, Premises liability - plaintiff
- 100% Personal injury - general: plaintiff
First Admitted: 1976, Washington
Professional Webpage: http://abeytanelson.com/attorneys/terry-abeyta/
- Terry P. Abeyta is responsible for the highest personal injury settlements in Yakima, Franklin, Kittitas, Grant, and Klickitat Counties. He also has the highest jury verdict for a cervical strain in the history of Yakima County. Abeyta recovered nearly $7M in a bleacher fall case, the largest settlement in the history of Yakima County; $6.25M in a car-truck crash, the largest settlement in Franklin County; $4.1M in a multi-vehicle crash and $3.5M for a fall from playgound equipment, the two largest settlements in the history of Kittitas County; $2.5M settlement of workplace injury in Grant County, the largest settlement in history of Grant County; $2.5M auto crash settlement in Klickitat County, the largest settlement in the history of Klickitat County, and $1.6M in an underinsured motorist arbitration, the highest in the history of Yakima County.
- Whitman College, B.A., Phi Beta Kappa; summa cum laude; graduated No. 1 in class; honors in major field of study, 1976
- Yakima Valley College, A.A., Phi Theta Kappa, chosen by faculty as top English student, 1973
- Washington Association for Justice (formerly Washington State Trial Lawyers Association) Board of Governors; Vice President-East; Vice President Development; Vice President Membership
- Past President, Yakima County Bar Association
- Past President, Washington Chapter of the American Board of Trial Advocates
- Pastor Michael O'Neill, former client of Abeyta Nelson Injury Law, shares the details of his motorcycle/car collision and his ongoing recovery from the accident, Abeyta Nelson Injury Law Client Testimonial Michael O'Neill, 2017
- Cary Campbell, former client of Abeyta Nelson Injury Law, shares the details of her serious car accident and recovery, Abeyta Nelson Injury Law Client Testimonial Cary Campbell, 2017
- Chairman, La Salle High School Board of Trustees , 2019
- Vice President Catholic Charities of Central Washington, 2017
- Volunteer Attorney Services, 2015
- Board of Directors, Yakima Symphony Orchestra
- School Board, St. Joseph/Marquette School
- Board of Overseers, Whitman College, Walla Walla, Washington
- Parish Council, St. Paul Cathedral Parish
- Leadership team, United Way of Central Washington
- Board of Directors, Yakima Valley College Foundation
- Founder, Peoples Law School
- Board of Directors, United Way of Central Washington, 2015
- President/Board of Directors, Yakima Valley Community Foundation
- Board of Directors, Larson Gallery Guild
- RCIA team, St. Paul Cathedral Parish
- The Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America are selected from a combination of editorial research by Lawdragon staff, submissions from law firms and online nominations., Lawdragon Leading 500 Plaintiffs' Lawyers in America, 2007 and 2019, Lawdragon, 2019
- Super Lawyer, 1999-present
- President, Yakima County Bar Association, 1998
- This invitation-only group, comprised of 25 of the state's top trial lawyers, includes Terry P. Abeyta and only two others from Eastern Washington., President, 2007, Damage Attorneys Round Table, 1999-2019, 2019
- Best Lawyers, the only purely peer review guide to the legal profession, have ranked more than 13,000 firms in 122 specialties in 187 metropolitan areas in the U.S., The Best Law Firms in America, 2017-2019, U.S. News & World Report, 2019
- The "Best of the Valley" Readers' Poll is conducted each year by the Yakima Valley Business Times. Abeyta Nelson has won this honor in 2017, 2018 and 2019., Best Attorney in Yakima Valley, 2017-2019, Yakima Valley Business Times, 2019
- This award is given annually to an individual who provides an outstanding contribution to the development and resources of WSTLA, now known as the Washington State Association for Justice., Alvin Anderson Award Honoree, Washington State Trial Lawyers Association, 2008
- Best Lawyers is a highly respected peer review publication in the legal profession. Recognition in Best Lawyers is widely regarded by both clients and legal professionals as a significant honor, conferred on a lawyer by his or her peers., The Best Lawyers in America, 2009-2019, Best Lawyers, 2019
- Served as Secretary, Treasurer, Vice President, and President of the Washington Chapter , Member, American Board of Trial Advocates, 1999
- The "Readers' Choice" Readers' Poll is conducted each year by the Yakima Herald-Republic. Abeyta Nelson has won this honor in 2017, 2018 and 2019., Best Law Firm and Best Personal Injury Attorney in the Yakima Valley, 2017-2019, 2019
Office location for Terry P. Abeyta
1102 West Yakima Avenue
Yakima, WA 98902